Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » A few brief lessons in Xianity... (Page 4)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: A few brief lessons in Xianity...
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the bible says sex for any purpose other than procreation is BAAAD.

See, the problem I have here, is that I can not for the life of me believe that God would approve of the Death Penalty. I really think He'd want us to keep 'em alive locked up for their natural lives, and frankly, no amount of Omega's defintions or lectures about word translations are going to change my mind. Sorry.

Jeff, please belive me when I say that the only emotions I experience when reading your posts are pity at your incredible ignorance, and dispair that anyone can be so

And here we have it. Because I don't agree with Omega, and because he can't convince me that God okays the Death Penalty, he calls me ignorant. Now, this is an example of self-righteousness. This is why I don't like self-righteous people, because if you disagree with them, they pretty much call you an ignorant piece of shit. I've got no problem with those who disagree with me, and I'll try and convince them to see my way, but I'm not going to say something like this, because it would reflect bad on me.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier ... just as long as I'm the dictator." - George "Dubya" Bush, Dec 18, 2000

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"If the Arabs and the Jews believe in the same deity, then why do they have religious wars??"

For the same reasons that the Catholic church caused the Crusades: hypocracy and stupidity.

"How meny different languages was the Bible written in, Hebrew and Greek I remember, but were there others?"

Bits of the Old Testament were in Aramaic.

"doesn't the Bible, as translated, say nothing about pre-maritial sex, only that all people should be like Him, and remain virgins?"

The letters of Paul are quite clear on this. One said that if you can't control your biological lust, get married and eliminate the temptation. Fornicators are also listed as one of the groups of people who will "not inherit the earth," IIRC. Don't have my concordance handy, unfortunately.

------------------
"Still one thing more fellow-citizens--A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government..."
-Thomas Jefferson

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hail, hail, your resident practicing Roman Catholic is here...

The whole pope/cardinal/archbishop/bishop thing was created a long, long, long time ago when a hierarchy was needed to control the church, 'cause the Catholic church was the only Christian church around and there was a lot of people to keep in check. So, in order to help keep everyone in check, they decided that only the important folk would be allowed to have bibles, mainly because they were expensive and time-consuming to produce. And, as the old saying goes, power corrupts and apsolute power corrupts absolutely. The Catholic church became corrupt. Enter the Crusades. Enter the Protestant split. After a while, the whole hirearchy wasn't really needed anymore, but it was kept around anyways. Why mess with a good thing? It seemed to be working out well, considering that the pope doesn't have the same power he had back in the day, so he wouldn't be corrupt anymore. Then, in the 1970's, there was the Vatican II split that happened, which resulted in the mass being said in every language other than Latin. And now we have the lovely situation we currently love and hate. Catholics and protestants generally get along, save for the few friendly jabs here and there. Except in Ireland, but that's another topic for another day...

------------------
"What happens on the edges of infinity, the never-never land of mathematics?"
-Miss Hodgin

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to repeat myself, Allah is Arabic for God. It has its own origin seperate from Islamic thought, and is used by anyone who speaks Arabic and has a burning desire to enter theological discussions like this one.

------------------
20th century, go to sleep.
--
R.E.M.
Read chapters one and two of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Show no patience, tolerance, or restraint.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, yeah, that last post of yours wasn't a Catholic bash, Omega.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier ... just as long as I'm the dictator." - George "Dubya" Bush, Dec 18, 2000

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"ABBA means father."

No. ABBA means 'shitty swedish band that is shit'.

That is all.

------------------
"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world." - Dave Barry

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are SO gonna get it when Liam reads this thread. Right, Liam? Right? Right?

(Or if Stephin Merritt reads this thread, which is distinctly less likely.)

------------------
20th century, go to sleep.
--
R.E.M.
Read chapters one and two of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Show no patience, tolerance, or restraint.

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Oh, yeah, that last post of yours wasn't a Catholic bash, Omega.

Bash or not, it was true. It was started by stupidity and hypocracy. However, he was refering to the past, some 1000 years ago. No where did Omega imply that the Catholic Church is involved in stupidity and hypocracy in the present.

------------------
Greg: You bought me a urinal cookie?
Mike: Not just any ordinary urinal cookie! It has the AOL logo embossed on it!
-www.userfriendly.org, 12-08-00

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Well, actually, I think there are lots of people out there today preaching God's word who are hippocritical and stupid (Catholics, Baptists, Protestents, and everybody else), but that's just me -- Jerry Falwell is probably the leading example, IMHO.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited January 03, 2001).]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have an interesting habit of bringing up completely irrelevant things, JK.

------------------
"Still one thing more fellow-citizens--A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government..."
-Thomas Jefferson

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

My mind wanders. Sue me.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited January 03, 2001).]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Falwell's a moderate when it comes to extremism. Once you get into guys like Phelps, Lyons & Bradleys, then you're talking hypocrisy and stupidity.

------------------
"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world." - Dave Barry

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I can see Sol getting into Zoroastrianism sometime real soon.

------------------
Oh, yes, sitting. The great leveler. From the mightiest Pharaoh to the lowliest peasant, who doesn't enjoy a good sit?
~C. Montgomery Burns

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My translation of the Tanach (Bible) is from the Mesorah Heritage Fundation, a very orthodox Jewish business. They have very good translations of the Tanach and the Talmud.

In these translations, the name YHWH is written as Hashem ("His Name"). Hashem and Elohim are identified with the attributes of God-mercy and judgement.

Shalom, the greeting used by Jews today, is a name of God. In the past, Jews would never say hello to another Jew using the name of God. Then, according to the Tanach, a prominent Jew said Shalom Aleichem to another Jew. This tradition of saying, "Shalom Aleichem", was accepted by the whole Jewish community by 400 CE.

Another name of God is "I Shall Be What I Shall Be", from Exodus.

According to Jewish tradition, Hashem has many names. These names can refer to attributes of Hashem or names given to this entity by various Jewish communities and accepted by the whole Jewish community before the writing of the Talmud. Shalom is an example of the latter. Many of these names are untranslatable into our language.

In the period of the Talmud (200 CE to 500 CE), the Jews of Babylonia (Bushir) who went to service would hear the Tanach translated into Aramaic by a reader. The rabbi would read the text and the reader would translate.
(Bushir is the popular name of Babylonia.)

The Tanach was translated into at least five languages by 500 CE: Hebrew, Greek, Aramaic, Latin, and a Celtic language.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that a lot of Catholicism (sp?) is not based in the Bible. The worship and prayer to Mary is not endorsed anywhere in the Bible, and the same with Saints, etc.

Jews and Muslims fight in their belief of how they worship their God. Much like how the Christians battle the Jews, and within Christianity, Protestants vs. Catholics.

More names include "I am what I am" and just plain "I am"

------------------
I looked at my son, and said, "My god, he's hung like a bear."
"That's the umbillical cord, Mr. Williams."

-Robin Williams, "A Night at the Met" 1986

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps