Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Forget U.S. guns, worry about U.K. doctors! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Forget U.S. guns, worry about U.K. doctors!
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"who lives his life by the goddamn bible, for Christ's sake?"

Interesting choice of words.

In any case, I don't believe your frustration with my arguments constitute valid grounds for banishment.

------------------
"Still one thing more fellow-citizens--A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government..."
-Thomas Jefferson

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I've got an even better idea. How about you ban Omega altogether until he stops being an utter fucking retard who doesn't know shit about anything he talks about, and who lives his life by the goddamn bible, for Christ's sake?"

You know, this is very mean-spirited, IMO. You might find problems with what Omega says, but that's your problem, not the board's.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Brave New World: 'The future sucks. Or does it? Hell if I know. Ooh, LSD!'" - Simon Sizer

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the boards fault... all of it....
From the Crucifixtion on........

ummmm, yeah, ok, I'll shut up.....

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, at least you can't say that Vogon Poet's words and language are inconsistent with those of his namesake.

Now, where's that helpful large intestine?

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dad was treated for a ear infection while travelling in the UK a few years ago.

HE, being a foreigner, but more importantly paying cash, got treatment right away... bumped to the head of the very long line.

Apparently, inequity still exists, despite all claims to the contrary.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, what?

If he payed cash, he went private. He didn't jump ahead of the queue. He went to a completely different queue.

You get what you pay for. The difference is, if you can't pay for it, you still get it.

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Yes, but the people in the paying queue got seen FIRST.

------------------

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"You get what you pay for."

Are the private doctors better than the public ones? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that that's true, but you can see how I might think that. Over here, the decent doctors would go private, because they can actually make money that way, and talent goes where the money is. In fact, that's exactly what would have happened under HillaryCare.

"The difference is, if you can't pay for it, you still get it."

But the question is, are you going to treated before you die of whatever? It's happened in Canada. People have died, IN HOSPITALS, while the government tried to make up its mind over whether they really NEEDED treatment or not.

------------------
"Still one thing more fellow-citizens--A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government..."
-Thomas Jefferson

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oooh, bad Canada.

"Yes, but the people in the paying queue got seen FIRST."

Well, out of the people who paid. If you pay, you don't jump in front of EVERYBODY, just the people who are paying. The people who don't pay are still in a different line.

------------------
"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world." - Dave Barry

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

UM, IIRC, (and I may not, I'll have to check for certain, and if I'm wrong, I'll say so here within a day) that's not the way he told it.

According to whjat I remember him telling me, they made the non-payers wait while they dealt with whatever payers came in FIRST, regardless of when they arrived, their condition, or anything else.

In other words, if A,B,C, and D non-payers came in, and the Doc saw A, and B was next, if E, F, and G payers came in, even though they arrived after D, they'd go first. And if he got through with E,F, & G, and saw B, and then H,I,&J payers came in, he'd see them before C.
So you'd have:

AEFGBHIJCD.

Poor D, he's gonna be there all day.

------------------

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, here, at least, it's:

A, B, C, D are non-payers.

E, F, G, H are dudes with dough.

ABCD go to the Municipal Hospital, maintained and run through the support of the Federal government, with some aid provided by the Provincial gov't.

EFGH go to a liscensed, private professional, usually in a seperate buidling, non-related to the Hospital.

Sometimes, because the city in which I live in is quite old-fashioned, the doctor treating B will send him to where the EFGH's go, and that doctor will accept him free of charge.

It's all about how seriously you need treatment, and how long you can afford (or not to) wait.

------------------
"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world." - Dave Barry

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
But the question is, are you going to treated before you die of whatever? It's happened in Canada. People have died, IN HOSPITALS, while the government tried to make up its mind over whether they really NEEDED treatment or not.

So what's the point?

Is is that one one ever dies while waiting on the private health care system in the US to decide if paying for a procedure or denying the procedure entirely is better for their bottom line?

Is it comparison and no one waits or dies in the perfect emergency care system in America?

Could it be that you advocate should export the America system where emergency rooms are shutting their doors at an alarming rate and patients for the ones left open are piling up like chord wood?

Is it private bureaucracy is better than a public one?

Is it that the UK and other countries in the world like to have at least a modicum of health care for everyone and damn them for trying?

------------------
Oh, yes, sitting. The great leveler. From the mightiest Pharaoh to the lowliest peasant, who doesn't enjoy a good sit?
~C. Montgomery Burns

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ours is the same as Omega. Although the private and NHS parts can share buildings.

As a question, are vaccinations free in the US?

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the welfare people, yes....
Me, since I work, I have to pay...

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm confused. And also, apparently, mean-spirited. But mainly I'm confused. So far it seems a bit of a non-argument. We Brits are happy with our health service. Well, no, we're not, but you guys aren't saying anything that's making us think the capitalist way is better.

I mean, come on, guys! Flameboard! Where's the social Darwinism, the extoling of the virtues of medical insurance, bible bollocks, all that crap we'd expect you to come out with? I mean, look at this, a whole post and I haven't insulted anyone yet, give me something to work with here!

Anyway. As regards First's dad, I'd be interested to hear more. Presumably he was over here on business, I'd guess he has employer's medical insurance, and he was probably treated using that. The most likely course of events was that after suffering the initial symptoms, he went to an ordinary doctor, the initial diagnosis was made, and he was referred to treatment using his insurance. Probably somewhere else with a different doctor.

------------------
Luke Ford: "What's it like having a dick in your ass?"

Zoe: "Imagine taking your bottom lip and pulling it over the top of your head. You get used to it but it does hurt."

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps