Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Forget U.S. guns, worry about U.K. doctors! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Forget U.S. guns, worry about U.K. doctors!
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Invisible Hand! The Invisible Hand!

------------------
20th century, go to sleep.
--
R.E.M.
Read chapters one and two of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Show no patience, tolerance, or restraint.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He was on vacation, acctually. Touring. Developed a minor ear infection before he left, stupidly didn't get it treated, and it got really bad on the plane ride over (change in pressure, and all that). He went to see a doctor almost as soon as he landed. A standard GP, I think.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sheesh, Americans. Over paid, over sexed, and over ear. 8)

------------------
Luke Ford: "What's it like having a dick in your ass?"

Zoe: "Imagine taking your bottom lip and pulling it over the top of your head. You get used to it but it does hurt."

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait, I get it now. Let me straighten this out for y'all. Omega & co are dead against taxes. What they are for is everyone shelling out for everything. I'd hate to have to explain the advantages of massed resources or economies of scale to the abovementioned. Lets just use basic logic here.

Medical insurance, ths Australian example.

Take a man earning $50 000. He pays $250 a year as his medicare levy, inclided into your taxes. Now, that gives him cover. On the other hand, if he has a family of 4 he pays $250 a month to some private insurance firm. Shite, its far more logical to go private ain't it! You see old boy, there is a certain logic to a central health system, which is why our lot get kick arse medical cover. Do you think so many people would do it, all over the world, if it didn't work?

Perhaps you're forgetting that the pharmacy firms and the insurance firms are pushing your angle so hard because they would go out of business if the states adopted a central health system.

------------------
Re: Russia in WWII

"Hey, we butchered Poles! Thats OK."
- DT.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lemme revise that, please wait.

[This message has been edited by Tahna Los (edited January 08, 2001).]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daryus, you're forgetting one thing. Actually, you're missing a couple other things, too, but this just screams out, "I've just shot meself in the foot!"

If the pharmasutical companies went out of business, where, exactly, would the patients get necessary drugs? And where would R&D take place on new ones? Exactly what do you think these companies do with their money, anyhow? Fill their mattresses with it? They spend it on R&D to create new drugs! This is generally considered a good thing.

Thus, if pharmacutical companies would, in fact, go out of business with central health care, we can determine central health care to be a BAD THING, on that basis alone.

Do you think so many people would do it, all over the world, if it didn't work?

And if all the other countries decided to nuke themselves, or declare war on the US, or some other patently stupid thing, would you do it, too? Appeal to mass popularity is not a legitimate debating tactic.

What they are for is everyone shelling out for everything.

Bingo. What an amazing concept: paying for what you want, yourself.

As for your incredibly wonderful government health care, how EXACTLY does it work, on the receiving end? Do you just show up at the doctor, he treats you, and you go home, never worrying about the money? The Doc just sends a bill to wherever the local branch of the medical bureaucracy is located?

Which also reminds me: you honestly think that that $250 a year is all you're paying? Does that include paying for bureaucrats to run the system? Or does that come out of general funds? I'd like to see your federal budget, personally, just as a matter of curiosity.

------------------
"Still one thing more fellow-citizens--A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government..."
-Thomas Jefferson

[This message has been edited by Omega (edited January 08, 2001).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why is it Omega's response to almost everything is "it's not a valid debating tactic?" Who gives a rats ass? This is the Flameboard, not the Debating Board.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier ... just as long as I'm the dictator." - George "Dubya" Bush, Dec 18, 2000

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JeffK: I use the Flameboard to debate any issue as much as Omega does. Your comment is pure mudslinging. Cut it out.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have never seemed to get the idea behind this board, JK. Who was it around here that said, "The flameboard is for flaming ideas, not people?" Flaming of someone's idea is bound to lead to an argument over it, and if the people involved are acting rationaly, argument means debate.

As for who gives a rat's a**, you're answer is this: those of us who are interested in finding the truth. That requires rational conversation, and THAT requires legitimate debates. If someone makes an invalid point, it should not be allowed to stand, because it's misleading. It's as simple as that.

------------------
"Still one thing more fellow-citizens--A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government..."
-Thomas Jefferson

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fine, let me rephrase: Valid debating tactics are not valid flameboard tactics. In other words, when it is valid to ignore someone's arguments by claiming it's not a valid debate tactic?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier ... just as long as I'm the dictator." - George "Dubya" Bush, Dec 18, 2000

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited January 08, 2001).]

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Must be the lack of seminar class or those single person home school debate classes (so at least someplace on the earth, he's always right.)

Omega's hubris seems to tell him it's ok to say things that are unsupported and when questioned ignore the quesiton.

*shurg*

Don't make him right, it just makes him Omega.

------------------
Oh, yes, sitting. The great leveler. From the mightiest Pharaoh to the lowliest peasant, who doesn't enjoy a good sit?
~C. Montgomery Burns

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HA. Finding the truth or attention-hungry?

------------------
"Life end when you die. But imagination share with others, live forever."
--Quan, Final Fantasy IX

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JeffK: I'm afraid you're wrong on this one. The Flameboard is here because the topics discussed tend to elicit flaming. It doesn't mean you're required to flame. Rational debating (while uncommon in Omega's presence) is allowed, and even preferable...

Now, everyone go back to talking about Omega's "farmy-kootical" companies...

------------------
My new year's resolution is the same as last year's: 1024x768.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Farmy-tootykal" kompanyes are out, like all big corporations, to make money for their stock holders.

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking"

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't flaming a topic the same as flaming a person, for the topics here are, mostly, someones opinions, which when flamed, flame them......

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking"

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps