Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Forget U.S. guns, worry about U.K. doctors! (Page 7)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Forget U.S. guns, worry about U.K. doctors!
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LA isn't smoggy now, it just rained...this is such a beautiful city after a rain.

Don't forget about Houston though...there was a brief point over the last couple of years that it beat LA for smoggiest city.

And yes dear friends, the only reason that LA, Houston or Pittsburg PA has better air today is because of regulation.

Halleluiah and pass the unleaded!

------------------
Oh, yes, sitting. The great leveler. From the mightiest Pharaoh to the lowliest peasant, who doesn't enjoy a good sit?
~C. Montgomery Burns

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited January 11, 2001).]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, a period of all of two days.

------------------
"Still one thing more fellow-citizens--A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government..."
-Thomas Jefferson

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, it has started with 2 days..... Then you'll blow off a week, then a month, etc.....

No, I've never seen little rings like that used for any kind of hunting, they might have been from the marker ballons placed by the state to note air sprayers of where to hit for the gypsy moth crap.

Along with the pollution created I think LA has a thing with its location and weather, something about the winds and the humidity helping to bottle it up, or some such thing.

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The period for which LA will be smog-free?

Or the period for which regulation will work?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier ... just as long as I'm the dictator." - George "Dubya" Bush, Dec 18, 2000

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I once heard that Saline could be used as an effective smog anti-agent.

Why is LA smoggy?

------------------
"...[They've] been so completely dumbed down by the media, by tabloid scumbags, by the Christian "right", by politicians in general, the school, parents who are dumber than their parents were, who are dumber than their parents were, and all of whom think that they can bring up a child just because they got down in bed and had a little sex...well, frankly, here is an audience that knows more and more about less and less as the years go by...We are talking about a constituency...that knows nothing. This is pandemic; terrifyingly, paralyzingly pandemic. They know absolutely nothing."
- Harlan Ellison, on the Media Consumer of today.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today as in concerned with or relating to the present time...not the time frame of the latest rainfall.

------------------
Oh, yes, sitting. The great leveler. From the mightiest Pharaoh to the lowliest peasant, who doesn't enjoy a good sit?
~C. Montgomery Burns

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem with descriptive terms are that they're so relative.

If you had 400 cities, and 399 were clear as a bell, and 1 had a single little puff of smoke, it could still be called "the smoggiest city out of 400."

Air quality everywhere is probably better than it's been in 50 years, especially in industrial cities. Is this due to regulation? At least partly, though it's also due to public pressure, cleaner technology, and less use of the 'dirtier' methods simply by attrition. This amount of regulation isn't a bad thing. Don't misunderstand, I don't think we should get rid of ALL regulation. there have to be SOME standards, after all.

However, we are now reaching the point of diminishing returns, where overregulation is beginning to have detrimental effects, such as increasing prices (due to the cost of complying with regulations and paperwork).

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoop de do. Increased prices. Anyone ever suggest to you that there are more important things than the bottom line?

------------------
Re: Russia in WWII

"Hey, we butchered Poles! Thats OK."
- DT.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if you mean 'bottom line' as in 'how much people on a fixed or low income (retirees, the handicapped, the poor) can take in, relative to how much it costs to keep the electricity in their home operational,' I'd have to say "NO."

For someone whos supposed to be concerned about people with low incomes, (at least, that's what the Democrats USED to claim to be about) you don't worry about rising prices? Increases in the cost of living? Isn't that an inherent philosophical contradiction?

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. Raised taxes, paid by the more affulent, would balance that out. This would also allow tax cuts to those who would most benefit by them.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier ... just as long as I'm the dictator." - George "Dubya" Bush, Dec 18, 2000

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Ah, yes. The old 'tax-and-spend' dodge. Or 'soak the rich,' as it's now known.

Good idea. Increase the tax on the people and businesses that generate the income for nearly everybody else in the state, thusly trashing economic growth. The closing of businesses that follows will decrease the power demand significantly, which should more than cover the increased demand put out by all the unemployed workers who will now be at home.

Brilliant!

------------------

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

Ah, the old 'don't listen but get on your own little saop box' evasion.

Good one.

------------------
~C. Montgomery Burns

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited January 12, 2001).]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny. I thought it was closer to the "Beat-the-snot-out-of-your-opponent's-suggestion" tactic.

------------------
"Still one thing more fellow-citizens--A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government..."
-Thomas Jefferson

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Clearly Jay wasn't listening.

I merely pointed out why 'tax-and-spend' is a failure as a solution, albeit in a rather sarcastic tone of voice. The logic of the argument remains solid.

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daryus is a Democrat? I was unaware American political parties had branched out across the Pacific in such a manner.

------------------
20th century, go to sleep.
--
R.E.M.
Read chapters one and two of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Show no patience, tolerance, or restraint.

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps