Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Motel Sued for Denying Aryan Nations a Room (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Motel Sued for Denying Aryan Nations a Room
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Feb. 23, 2001

SPOKANE, Washington (AP) -- A leader of a neo-Nazi group has sued an Idaho motel that denied a meeting room to members of his group and the Aryan nations, alleging civil rights violations.

The Silver Lake Motel in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, canceled a reservation November 30 after learning the white-supremacist groups planned to hold church services in a meeting room. Coeur d'Alene is about 30 miles east of Spokane.

R. Vincent Bertollini, a leader of the Idaho-based 11th Hour Remnant Messenger, is seeking more than $10,000 in actual damages and $2.2 million in punitive damages.

"Bertonllini was denied access to the conference room based upon his religion, beliefs and philosophies," the lawsuit said.

Motel officials did not immeditately return a telephone call seeking comment Thursday.

They have said they canceled the reservation and returned the deposit when they learned of the purpose of the gatherings.

The lawsuit was filed in the same court where a jury last summer ruled against Aryan Nations founded Richard Butler in a lawsuit filed by two people who were attacked by the group's security guards. It cost Butler the 20-acre compound where his Church of Jesus Christ Christian had held services for some three decades.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."
--Paul Begala, Is Our Children Learning?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Church of Jesus Christ Christian", eh? As opposed to the "Church of Jesus Christ Jewish", or the "Church of Jesus Christ Islam"? Or the "Church of Buddha Christian"?

------------------
"I am slightly disturbed that a news station in the US would use the phrase 'to the max'. What's next? CNN saying 'Totally righteous murders?' BBC News 'Dude, like people were wasted yesterday'. The Times reporting 'Iraq bombed! For Great Justice!'?"
-Liam Kavanagh, 22.Feb.2001

[This message has been edited by TSN (edited February 23, 2001).]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would give my life to hear a Nazi man say "but what of our civil rights."

------------------
"...screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!" - Omega.

Irony ensues.

Free Jeff K

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pleh.... I live in Spokane.... there's problems like this around here all the time. It's just not good.... *shakes head*

~LOA

------------------
"Apprently, "pooty" involves deities and pretty girls in compromising positions..." ~TSN Jan. 18th, 2001

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think someone should improve upon the constitution in such a way that:

"Freedom of speech should be enforce at all cost, except when it intrude into other's constitutional rights"

And I think the existence of Aryan Nations intrude on the rights of other minorities.

------------------
What is the difference between a terriorist and your girlfriend?
- With terrorist, there is a chance of negotiation.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er...their existance? No. As disgusting and vile as they might be, no.

------------------
I will shout until they know what I mean.
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the Aryan Nations are a bunch of stupid, racist thugs, who I'd like to see dragged out into the street and lynched.

But, I'd also like to have someone give me $10 million dollars, and that ain't likely to happen any time soon either.

Everyone and everygroup in this country has the right to Freedom of Speech, even if that speech is hateful and ignorant and just plain stupid. But it's an undeniable right, and the only way to prove that, is to let Aryan Nations spread their messages. Of course, if the ACLU ever took their case, they'd probably give them a Jewish lawyer

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"We will fight them with the one weapon which none can stand against!"
"What is that?"
"Being laughed at."

Don't fight them, don't lynch them, don't repress them. When one comes up to you and starts oozing his filth, just look him straight in the eye, smile a little smile, say "You're a looney" and walk away laughing.

They hate that; it gets inside their heads and crawls around like little bugses.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Some KKK guys went to the quad at TU last year and started protesting with signs and stuff. I think one guy took a swing at 'em, but the rest of us ignored 'em. The faculty turned up the radio at the Lecture Hall and drowned 'em out and they ain't been back since. It's a good philosophy, and it works.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen it all.

Everything.

All of it.

I worked at the Ontario Human Rights Commission for several months while creating a special database for by supervisor involving cases closed or not pursued further. Usually Complaints involving discrimination of some sort that have been dismissed due to either lack of evidence, or because the complaint is unfounded, etc. etc. etc.

Well, one day I came across a complaint in which a white man filed against a company for firing him due to his religious background. Apparently, he was making very racist and sexist remarks towards other co-workers and he was terminated as a result. Well, in his complaint, he said that the company discriminated against his religion (Nazi-ism?) because:

- It was standard in his religion to make those remarks.
- The company refused to allow him to observe his religion, in the sense that companies allow other religions to observe theirs (i.e.: companies up here would allow Muslims to pray during their lunch breaks, and observe Muslim holidays, etc.....)

The case was killed because it was determined that despite this person's so-called religious affiliation, it was protecting the rights of the other co-workers by limiting their exposure to such crap. I also read in a letter written after the case, calling the OHRC a bunch of biased, anti-religion pigs for letting this kind of discrimination against him occur, and that he will appeal to the Highest Court in Canada. I do not know if he did, but I'll be damned if he gets his day in court.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Well, it's a difficult balance ... the right to free speech doesn't include screaming "FIRE!" in a crowded theater, for example.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As your Dictator, I will promise to give the Neo-Nazis and Aryan Nations people their own homeland, and pay all the expenses to help them to it.

It'll be located on the surface of Mars, and the supplies will be consistent with Dan Quayle's "we can breathe there" observations, but it'll be their very own homeland... For as long as the landers' Oxygen holds out.

Gimmie Your Vote.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, just glanced at the Flameboard and thought to myself, "Motel Suede"? What kind of a kinky theme is that?
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

As kinky as ...

MOTEL TURNIP!

COMING SOON TO A GARDEN NEAR YOU!

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember, the right to free speech is not the same as the right to be heard. If you truly want people to hear what you have to say, you need to work for it.

------------------
"President Bush. It's fun saying that. Go ahead, you try." - M. Lucinsky, Spectrum Editor

"Being a liberal is one of the most gutless choices you can make. It doesn't require you to think, it only requires you to feel." - Rush Limbaugh

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps