Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Motel Sued for Denying Aryan Nations a Room (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Motel Sued for Denying Aryan Nations a Room
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That may or may not have been what Ultra Magnus (Hereforth known as 'UM') intended to post.

------------------
"This is such an amazingly minor complaint. Does anyone actually watch episodes anymore, or is it just a notebook + pause button exercise these days?"
-Sol System on what constitutes modern day Star Trek watching, 02-22-01

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um. Okay.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."
--Paul Begala, Is Our Children Learning?

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Herm, about that bit from the American Civil Rights Act....maybe its just the little section you posted, and its implied by some other section of the law...but it seems rather...."small".

It "just" protects against "discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin", meaning that say discrimination on the basis of say, sexual orientation or political beliefs is perfectly fine and dandy?

And unless you count white supremacy as a religion, wouldn't it fall under the category of political beliefs?

------------------
"The Guide says that there is an art to flying...or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Life, the Universe and Everything

[This message has been edited by Mucus (edited February 27, 2001).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, yes indeed, discrimination by poltical beliefs is fine, but the thread had wandered into the area where certain people said that hotels could discriminate against anyone.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which, in accordance with the Constitution, they can. Quote any law you'd like. If it contradicts the constitution, it ain't valid law.

------------------
Disclaimer:
"All references to vices and of the supernatural contained in this game are for entertainment purposes only. _Over_The_Edge_ does not promote satanisim, belief in magic, drug use, violence, sexual deviation, body piercing, cynical attitudes toward the government, freedom of expression, or any other action or belief not condoned by the authorities."
- `OverTheEdge'

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thankfully, most of us live in the real world, not the Omegasphere, and those sorts of decisions are made by people and governmental bodies that include vanishingly small amounts of Omega.

------------------
I will shout until they know what I mean.
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
okey, okey...

so say if I have an public open party, and some guy decided to show up, and started to say stupid things like "all chinks sucks", and I kicked him out, would that be "discrimination" too?

------------------
What is the difference between a terriorist and your girlfriend?
- With terrorist, there is a chance of negotiation.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are not a place of public accommodation.

That is unless there is something we should know about.

------------------
I should've known you were the only one stupid enough to kidnap you! Now get down here so I can spank you in front of this gawking rabble
~ C. Montgomery Burns

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds like it would be painful- being a public accomodation I mean.
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know. I mean would a hooker be a public accomodation?

------------------
I should've known you were the only one stupid enough to kidnap you! Now get down here so I can spank you in front of this gawking rabble
~ C. Montgomery Burns

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, but HERE's the rub. Second line, section b:
"...if its operations affect commerce,..."

And commerce, as every Constitutional scholar knows, is capable of being regulated by the Feds, in accordance with the Constitution (Article 1, Section 8, Paragraphs 3 and 18), and as upheld by every Supreme Court within recent memory, even the Conservative ones.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
commerce, as every Constitutional scholar knows, is capable of being regulated by the Feds

"The Congress shall have Power To... regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;"

INTER-STATE commerce. That hardly discribes a hotel.

------------------
Disclaimer:
"All references to vices and of the supernatural contained in this game are for entertainment purposes only. _Over_The_Edge_ does not promote satanisim, belief in magic, drug use, violence, sexual deviation, body piercing, cynical attitudes toward the government, freedom of expression, or any other action or belief not condoned by the authorities."
- `OverTheEdge'

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Well, see, if Mr. Trucker is taking a load of carrots to Indiana from California, and he's got no place to sleep 'cuz he's black and those hotels will discrimnate against him, it does affect commerce, yes?

Tourism is commerce. Why would people go visit Raleigh or Richmond or Milwaukee or wherever if a hotel could turn them away because they're (black/female)?

Your argument is faulty.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, okay, so maybe there is a law forbidding hotels to dsicriminate. But there shouldn't be.

------------------
"I am slightly disturbed that a news station in the US would use the phrase 'to the max'. What's next? CNN saying 'Totally righteous murders?' BBC News 'Dude, like people were wasted yesterday'. The Times reporting 'Iraq bombed! For Great Justice!'?"
-Liam Kavanagh, 22.Feb.2001

Omega
Member # 91

OK, I'm confused. What the heck is Tim doing on my side, and why is Rob on the other? *L*

Anyway, it ain't interstate commerce if the physical hotel exists in a single state. Your argument is faulty.

------------------
Disclaimer:
- `OverTheEdge'

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps