Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Motel Sued for Denying Aryan Nations a Room (Page 5)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Motel Sued for Denying Aryan Nations a Room
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But if the chain of hotel resides in MANY states, then it would be, wouldn't it?

Besides which, the simple fact the inter-state commerce could be impeded by hotels discriminating has implications reaching beyond one single state. (Sort of like, if you pollute up-stream, it hurts states down-stream).

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."
--Paul Begala, Is Our Children Learning?

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega: You are no longer in "Reality". You are now in a parallel universe where everyone who supports you is against you, and vice versa.....

Man, this world is pretty f*cked up here.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just love how a topic about whether or not racists should have the right to rent a room ...

Turns to whether or not hotels are a viable part of inter-state commerce or not

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
World Book Encyclopedia, 2000:

"The Supreme Court has interpreted 'commerce' to mean not only trade but also all kinds of commercial activity. The Supreme Court has ruled that interstate commerce includes not only transactions across state boundaries but also any activity that affects commerce in more than one state."

In other words, Congress's power extends to creating laws regulating businesses which have customers / patrons from more than one state; ie: almost all of them, including hotels.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I'm just saying that it's permitted.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we need to re-define "discrimination" somehow.

Cuz we all know that discriminating against African Americans is wrong.

But somehow kicking a Aryan Nation person out of a company because of racist opinions he express in public doesn't seem that wrong or "discriminating" to me.

I think relating the "hotal incidient" with black discrimination is unjustify in this case.

Want prove? Can't give you none, it's just a gut feeling, maybe some of you can help me work out the logic.

------------------
What is the difference between a terriorist and your girlfriend?
- With terrorist, there is a chance of negotiation.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Well, you're right in that there is a difference in discriminating based on someone's skin color or sex and between discriminating based on someone's politics, which is essentially what happened here.

But is it right to discriminate against someone (or a group of someone's) because you don't agree with their politics? I mean, what if this group has no place to assemble -- hotels wouldn't let them book a conference room, the local towns and cities wouldn't issue them the permits to demonstrate, etc. Isn't that just as bad?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're right, however, I don't think anyone will be complaining about if an Ayran Nation person gets kicked out of a hotal but himself.

Mind you, if he wasn't such a "lound mouth" and started talking about racist non-sense, he probably wouldn't be kicked out either.

freedom of believe is one thing, but if he is imposing on other with his believe, which I doubt anybody is willing to accept his, then isn't that an invation to other's personal freedom as well?

I mean what happen if a hotel went out of business because a Aryan Nations group decided to hold a conference in this hotel, and the hotel can't refuse the order, because of the so called "freedom of believe", then who is to blame?

------------------

BlueElectron
Member # 281

damn, tons of grammer mistakes on my previous post.

it should be "invasion", instead of "invation"

and it should be "loud mouth", not "lound mouth".

------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>"But is it right to discriminate against someone (or a group of someone's) because you don't agree with their politics?"

Apparently so. It's called "Political Correctness."

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Want prove? Can't give you none, it's just a gut feeling

Just like the rest of liberalism, huh?

Come on. You set yourself up for that one.

But is it right to discriminate against someone (or a group of someone's) because you don't agree with their politics?

We're not talking about what IS right. We're talking about what rights you HAVE. There's a difference. I have a right to go get drunk every night, treat my family like dirt, and sleep with every girl I can get my hands on. That doesn't mean that it IS right, it just means that, in a free society, I legally can.

I can discriminate based on anything I darned well please. I may have to answer for that to my customers or employers, but the government can't touch me. Why not? Because then they'd be discriminating against MY beliefs.

------------------
Disclaimer:
"All references to vices and of the supernatural contained in this game are for entertainment purposes only. _Over_The_Edge_ does not promote satanisim, belief in magic, drug use, violence, sexual deviation, body piercing, cynical attitudes toward the government, freedom of expression, or any other action or belief not condoned by the authorities."
- `OverTheEdge'

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless they pass an ammendment which makes it legal . In which case your little law abiding sentiment gets blown out of the water.

Omega, sometimes the laws don't do whats needed. So you get it done by doing whatever it takes. Afterall, the law cannot be static, it must adapt to the needs of the people, its there to serve their interests. That's one of the reasons I find your clinging to the constitution (which in the end is just a scrap of paper) so funny. Some parts just aren't relevant anymore. It's called updating, and dealing with todays realities. Not just the realities you see through the little prism you live in.

------------------
Re: Russia in WWII

"Hey, we butchered Poles! Thats OK."
- DT.

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's just it, Daryus, The Constitution was set up so that it doesn't change, but rather fits any situation in the first place. Its not a "living, breathing" Constitution as some would believe. It is static- with exception to the admendments- it fits all situations. Sort of like a Swiss Army knife.

------------------
"President Bush. It's fun saying that. Go ahead, you try." - M. Lucinsky, Spectrum Editor

"Being a liberal is one of the most gutless choices you can make. It doesn't require you to think, it only requires you to feel." - Rush Limbaugh

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Which is why some people think the Highway system is un-Constitutional, right?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless they pass an ammendment which makes it legal. In which case your little law abiding sentiment gets blown out of the water.

Ah, but then it wouldn't really be a free society any more, would it?

Which is why some people think the Highway system is un-Constitutional, right?

Only a federally administered one.

Omega, sometimes the laws don't do whats needed. So you get it done by doing whatever it takes.

"Screw the law, do what's necessary?" Isn't this the very definition of Facism?

------------------
Disclaimer:
"All references to vices and of the supernatural contained in this game are for entertainment purposes only. _Over_The_Edge_ does not promote satanisim, belief in magic, drug use, violence, sexual deviation, body piercing, cynical attitudes toward the government, freedom of expression, or any other action or belief not condoned by the authorities."
- `OverTheEdge'

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Want prove? Can't give you none, it's just a gut feeling"

Just like the rest of liberalism, huh?

Come on. You set yourself up for that one.

I find that comment really offensive Omega. I just wish you'd stop making these kinds of generalizations about liberals.

On a related note, Jeff Raven: I find that quote from Rush Limbaugh in your sig also offensive. I meant to bring that up with you before, but since Omega said this, may as well.

So we are nothing but gutless people who don't think, only complain, huh? *storms off*

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

[This message has been edited by Tahna Los (edited March 01, 2001).]

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps