Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Motel Sued for Denying Aryan Nations a Room (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Motel Sued for Denying Aryan Nations a Room
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
::reads post::

Um. Hotel rooms have the undeniable right to rent other hotel rooms, dammit!

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."
--Paul Begala, Is Our Children Learning?

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I'm sure the architectural prime directive forbids us to stand in the way of inter-residential relations...

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His turnip not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Friday February 23:

AP Corrects Aryan-Motel Suit Story

quote:
SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) - In a Feb. 22 story, The Associated Press erroneously described an organization called the 11th Hour Remnant Messenger as a neo-Nazi group.

According to leader R. Vincent Bertollini, the group does not consider itself neo-Nazi, although it does express anti-Semitic ideas and supports separation of the races.

------------------
I should've known you were the only one stupid enough to kidnap you! Now get down here so I can spank you in front of this gawking rabble
~ C. Mongomery Burns

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I guess there's a small difference...

Jay: Mongomery? I thought Mongo was sad. Maybe he found a little banana! (or banana-shaped turnip, in my case)

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His turnip not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For once, Omega is right. The hotel is a private establishment. They can do whatever they want.

If you say the hotel can't be discriminatory, then you'd also have to say that the group in question also can't be discriminatory. That would mean they couldn't hold their meeting in the first place, so the question would be moot.

------------------
"I am slightly disturbed that a news station in the US would use the phrase 'to the max'. What's next? CNN saying 'Totally righteous murders?' BBC News 'Dude, like people were wasted yesterday'. The Times reporting 'Iraq bombed! For Great Justice!'?"
-Liam Kavanagh, 22.Feb.2001

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"No shirt, no shoes, no service."
"We reserve the right to deny service."

Establishments make discriminations like this all the time. You don't have the 'right' to hotel space.

That's the problem with people these days; everything they decide they want is suddenly a 'right.'

These babies cry about 'freedom of speech' and 'freedom to assemble.' but NEITHER of those rights are infringed by the denial of service.

They can still speak. They just can't come indoors to do it. They still have the right to assemble. Just not on someone else's property.

To think otherwise is to accept as valid the proposition that I and a bunch of my friends can come over to your house and burp "The Star-spangled Banner" in your living room.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would make the point that a hotel is not a private home.

Also, a hotel can NOT discriminate based on sex, religion, or race. Apparently, they can discriminate based on political opinion.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I would make the point that a hotel is not a private home.

No, but it is still private property.

quote:

Also, a hotel can NOT discriminate based on sex, religion, or race.

Sure they can. Why do you think there are men only/women only clubs?

------------------
"President Bush. It's fun saying that. Go ahead, you try." - M. Lucinsky, Spectrum Editor

"Being a liberal is one of the most gutless choices you can make. It doesn't require you to think, it only requires you to feel." - Rush Limbaugh

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Those are private organizations, Jeff. I'm fairly certain there is a difference between a country club and a hotel or motel.

I used to work for Choice Hotels for the VP of something very boring, and I am rather certain that businesses can not discrimate based upon skin color, sex, etcetra.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm fairly certain there is a difference between a country club and a hotel or motel.

Not in the legal sense. The only differences would be internal policy and any contracts that might have been signed. And internal policy is not legally binding. A motel is still private property, just like a restaraunt and a country club are.

I am rather certain that businesses can not discrimate based upon skin color, sex, etcetra.

So much for your certainties. Just because your particular hotel disallowed it doesn't mean it's illegal.

------------------
Disclaimer:
"All references to vices and of the supernatural contained in this game are for entertainment purposes only. _Over_The_Edge_ does not promote satanisim, belief in magic, drug use, violence, sexual deviation, body piercing, cynical attitudes toward the government, freedom of expression, or any other action or belief not condoned by the authorities."
- `OverTheEdge'

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

The Discrimination Act ... ? God-dammit, I'm fairly certain I'm correct here.

Wouldn't the Civil Rights Act forbid the discrimination of people based on those ... ?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited February 27, 2001).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taken directly from the Civil Rights Act of 1964 http://longman.awl.com/nash/primarysource_29_3.htm

TITLE II
Injunctive Relief Against Discrimination in Places of Public Accommodation

Sec. 201. (a) All persons shall be entitled to the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, as defined in this section, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin.

(b) Each of the following establishments which serves the public is a place of public accommodation within the meaning of this title if its operations affect commerce, or if discrimination or segregation by it is supported by State action:

(1) any inn, motel, or other establishment which provides lodging to transient guests, other than an establishment located within a building which contains not more than five rooms for rent or hire and which is actually occupied by the proprietor of such establishment as his residence;

KA-BLOWIE!!!

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Not being a lawyer ... that does say that hotels, motels, and inns can't discriminate by race, sex, etc., right?

Maybe I'm just not used to First posting stuff helping the argument I'm trying to make

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DIVE! DIVE!

Somebody set up you the shutdown. Move zig.

Patricide. Because you've always wanted those golf clubs.

FOR GREAT JUSTICE.

------------------
"This is such an amazingly minor complaint. Does anyone actually watch episodes anymore, or is it just a notebook + pause button exercise these days?"
-Sol System on what constitutes modern day Star Trek watching, 02-22-01

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps