Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Fla. Rep in Hot Water for Homophobia (Extremely Flammable!) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Fla. Rep in Hot Water for Homophobia (Extremely Flammable!)
Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read this, and if this doesn't make you wanna vote against the Republicans...

Friday, April 13, 2001 / 05:05 PM
Sentiments ranging from disappointment to outrage are being expressed regarding the Florida legislator who told gay teens they would be destroyed by God.

The Florida state representative who surprised a group of GLBT high school students earlier this week with a lecture on the evils of homosexuality is facing a backlash from across the country.

Rep. Allen Trovillion, a 74-year-old Republican representing suburban Orlando, met with students from the Gay And Lesbian Idea eXchange for Youth (GALIXY) on April 9. The students were seeking support for a bill that would add sexual orientation to Florida's non-discrimination laws. During the meeting, Trovillion told GALIXY members that God would destroy them and that he would do everything in his power to see that the bill was not passed. (See PlanetOut News of January April 10.)

"It is regretful that any public official anywhere in the country would behave is such a manner," wrote openly gay New Hampshire State Rep. Raymond Buckley, the Democratic Whip, in a letter to Trovillion.

"The halls of [New Hampshire's] State House have been abuzz today regarding your outrageous behavior. It is my hope and the hope of many of my colleagues that you issue a statement of apology immediately," wrote Buckley, a seven-term member of the New Hampshire body. "The alternative, of course, would be to do the honorable thing and resign."

Trovillion Responds

Trovillion released an unapologetic statement on April 12, reemphasizing his belief that current laws, which do not bar sexual orientation-based discrimination, were all the protection anyone needed.

"I'm surprised, but not shocked, that someone here hasn't asked for Trovillion's resignation," said Stephen Roberts, president of the Log Cabin Club of Orlando, a chapter of the national gay Republican organization.

"He's an idiot and hopefully he won't be in politics much longer," said Roberts, an accountant who also volunteers with GALIXY. He said the incident caught him by surprise because Trovillion, while not supportive of civil rights for gays and lesbians, has never been vocally anti-gay before.

Fallout for One Student

Roberts said he was initially concerned about one of the students who was not out at his high school before the story of the meeting hit local newspapers. Ironically, noted Roberts, Trovillion's insistence that the students needed no protection led to more verbal abuse for 17-year-old Chris Vasquez. "Chris had to listen to some ugly comments on the bus the next day," Roberts said. However, the outpouring of support Vasquez has received since then has been tremendous, he added.

Roberts lamented the continued existence of a "good old boy network" in Florida politics. Its members, including Trovillion, are resistant to change and don't reflect the views of the majority of the population, said Roberts. "Our only hope is with the kids."

However, Trovillion's daughter, who is being groomed as the heir to his legislative seat, told the Tampa Tribune she saw nothing wrong with what her father had said to the students.

"This apple has not fallen far from the tree," said Roberts. "And this tree is full of bananas."

The chorus of voices decrying Trovillion's behavior includes many Florida congressmen, the chair of the Democratic National Committee and GLBT activist groups.

Florida Gov. Jeb Bush's office is responding to a flood of e-mail with replies saying, "The representative's opinions are his own, and he does not speak for the governor." The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force is asking people to call Gov. Bush's office and urge him to condemn Trovillion's statements. And the Human Rights Campaign, a GLBT lobbying group, has posted contact information for Rep. Trovillion on its site.

This makes me sick. Needless to say, i've joined the fight to get rid of this Nazi.

Have a nice Easter.

------------------
In this crazy world of lemons, baby...you're lemonade!

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering his age, and the way he was probably raised, his party affliation shouldn't be called in to play.
After 74 years of life you are going to be pretty damned set in your ways, hell, I am and I am 41 years shy of that.
Tolerance to anything that goes against your teachings is an extremely difficult task, impossible for most.

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But his DAUGHTER, *tsk tsk*, you'd think in this day and age up and coming politicians would be told a little something about tolerance. Sheesh. And HIM, even if he may be set in his ways, it's not exactly smart to make such a strong statement if he wants to keep his job. Especially such a strong statement directly tied to religion. I don't mean to sound bigoted, but I absolutely HATE HATE HATE it when Church and State get any further entwined than "one nation under God."
BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, I have to say this, I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST HOMOSEXUALS SO DON'T FLAME ME AS A HOMOPHOBIC!!!!!!!!

But the dude was just making an religious comments and expressed his opinions about homosexuality. and isn't it true that Christian do have something about homosexuals?? Wouldn't it be justified for him to make that specific comment if he's a hardcore Christian?? (I'm not sure about that one, feel free to varify me on that).

And it's not like he suddenly went on TV and said "death to all gay", in this situation, this perticular group ask for support and was denied by him because of his believe, and some people choose to respond softly and some people harshly. So be it! This group is stupid not to have done more research and get a less homophobic person in the first place.

For a country that allow "Mein Kompt" in public liberies, hate literatures floating around in free markets, and "White Power" parades, you guys sure are "frigit" when it comes to freedom of thought and speech on the issue of homosexuality.

------------------
What is the difference between a terriorist and your girlfriend?
- With terrorist, there is a chance of negotiation.

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well with him being 74 his daughter is probably 40 or 50 now anyway.

------------------
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the weaponry to make the difference.

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it is your own personal opinion, then I could frankly care less if you support the ideas laid out in Mein Kampf, but for a POLITICIAN to make a public statement in such a manner is appalling. To tie in anti-gay statements and religion to a rejection for an appearance is unacceptable.

Imagine one of our supreme justices or the President making such a comment if it puts it into perspective. Would they dare? I don't think they would.

If the President said he was an avid supporter of Hitler and believed Jews were an inferior race and was therefore not going to make public appearances for any Jewish organization, he would probably be forced out of office.

Also, there are more tactful ways to say the same thing, and probably without ruining one's prospects for re-election. Such as "I'm sorry, but I cannot support your organization due to my own personal beliefs, and must decline your invitation." Not "I cannot support you! All homosexuals will burn in Hell for their sins!"

I pledge allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
and to the republic for which it stands,
one nation, indivisible,
with liberty and justice for all.

- The original Pledge of Allegiance

[This message has been edited by Daniel (edited April 15, 2001).]

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mmm, 3 words

FREEDOM OF SPEECH

People should be free to say what they want, when they want, how they want, not to be tied up to how some feel that such and such is offensive.

I would much rather be called an ignorant, stump-jumping, half-assed, lazy, bastard, than, say, have a goofball shoot at me.

Tell me I am going to burn in hell for my sins, over burning me at the post.

People are way too touchy about the words, when they kindly ignore the little actions that lead to bigger actions that do harm people.

Like the kids in one of those school shooting... "Gee, he made a hit list, but we thought he was joking..." If he had said he made a hit list that's one thing, but to see the actual thing is another.

And....

A seperation of Church and State can not happen, with out the complete and total removal of one or the other. Both touch us daily, whether we believe or not, so to put a politician in to a situation where he can have no thoughts or voice about his opinions and thoughts is wrong. Unless you can do it. The matter of tact is usless, since what we find, as individuals, tactful is different.
I don't find it odd to discuss a customers late account with them while they are rolling a joint, I could careless about his hobbies. He paid his bill after he finished and lit up, even offered me a hit.

I guess this boils down to, don't cast the stone unless you are perfect. (Damn, that has religious context, I should be burned......)

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An anti-gay statment would be something that dos not respect the "freedom" or the "rights" of homosexuals, however, he didn't do it from the looks of the article you provided.

He simply make a religious reference with his own personal believe. If Christianity do believe that homosexual is a sin, then it's justified for him to make such a comment.

"If the President said he was an avid supporter of Hitler and believed Jews were an inferior race and was therefore not going to make public appearances for any Jewish organization, he would probably be forced out of office."

Now that is an unfair comparison, making a statment about Jewish people being inferior race violate their basic "rights" and "freedom", while the old dude say nothing that would violate homosexuals' "rights" and "freedom". He simply express his disagreements with homosexuality, and tie that up with his religious believe, which, like I said before, can be justified.

If people think what he said does not appeal to his/her opinions, then do something about it through a civilized or demoncratic process, which is to vote him out of the office next term. To force him out of the office by peer pressure just prove that people cannot accept "reasonable" opinion of others. (I quote the word reasonable because like I said, in his statement, he did not violate gay people's freedom or right)

------------------

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*ahem*

I couldn't care less if the man (Trovillion) is a raging homophobe, anti-Jew, whatever...what he believes is his own business.

The fact he did it to a group of gay-lesbian-bi teens is what offends me.

Daniel's right. He could have said "I'm sorry, but I cannot support your organization due to my own personal beliefs, and must decline your invitation." But the fact that he said that homosexuals will burn in hell to an AUDIENCE who's suicide rate is way higher than straight teens because of this kind of intolerance is offensive and hurtful.

And what Trovillion said wasn't hurtful?

"Trovillion's insistence that the students needed no protection led to more verbal abuse for 17-year-old Chris Vasquez. "Chris had to listen to some ugly comments on the bus the next day," "

Trust me, I know from personal experience on this one. My best friend Jason killed himself because of the rampant homophobia in his home and school. Hell, i've nearly done it myself! I've had some particually viscious things said to me. I was kicked out of my own home because my parents were homophobic to the extreme. And yeah, I got into a fight or two because some twit homophobe thought he could make a target out of me. He quickly learned his particular mistake on that one. But that's a whole different topic.

The problem with all this, is the fact that out of all the bigotry in this country is that homophobia is the last really big one to be tackled and dealt with. Gay kids are dying in droves, thanks to so called "Christian" leaders like Trovillion and followers of his ilk who listen to him and help perpetuate homophobia. Words can't kill?

Think again.

------------------

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
His party affilation should not come into play here, unless you hear the same thing from all Republicans- and you don't.

------------------
"Goverment exists to serve, not to lead. We do not exist by its volition, it exists by ours. Bear that in mind when you insult your neighbors for refusing to bow before it." J. Richmond

BlueElectron
Member # 281

Well, if you put it that way, I guess he could be less extreme and a little bit nicer.

But the fact remain, he didn't say anything inappropriate from a legal standpoint, and should not be forced out of office.

I don't agree with "more protection" for homosexual students though. Rather then working on protection for gay student, we should work on better educating students about homosexuality. Beside, giving more protection for homosexual only create unfair share of resources between gay and straight people, and probably single out the homosexual even more.

------------------

BlueElectron
Member # 281

another unrelated notes:

man, you guys sure are unfortunate, people suiciding all around you, get robbed in your own neighbourhood, getting picked on in school, and the list just go on and on...

Man, don't take this personally, the life you guys have are pretty depressing.

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, homophobes are morons. No, they shouldn't be holding public office. Yes, what this guy did makes him an extreme asshole. Yes, people who know better should do everything possible to get him the hell out of his position, somehow.

However, he was within his legal rights to do what he did. He's allowed to his opinion. He's allowed to express his opinion. He's allowed to express his opinion, even if it's to someone who's going to go kill him/her/itself over it. Morally, his actions are reprehensible. Legally, I don't really see that he's done anything wrong (i.e. criminal).

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

BlueElectron
Member # 281

"IT"!!!!?????

Where does that come from?????

------------------

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

Blue Electron said: "I don't agree with "more protection" for homosexual students though. Rather then working on protection for gay student, we should work on better educating students about homosexuality. Beside, giving more protection for homosexual only create unfair share of resources between gay and straight people, and probably single out the homosexual even more."

I agree. To a point. But you sometimes have homophobic teachers/teachers who won't enforce the current "Thou Shall Not Beat The Hell Out Of Your Fellow Student For ANY REASON" rule.

B-E also goes on to say..."Man, don't take this personally, the life you guys have are pretty depressing."

Yeah. Hell of a thing to CHOOSE to be, eh? Oh well. (BTW, snarky sig. :-) )

Tim-San also went on to say: "However, he was within his legal rights to do what he did. He's allowed to his opinion. He's allowed to express his opinion. He's allowed to express his opinion, even if it's to someone who's going to go kill him/her/itself over it. Morally, his actions are reprehensible. Legally, I don't really see that he's done anything wrong (i.e. criminal)."

Unfortunatly, that's true. The voters from his district, however will have the final say. :-)

------------------

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps