Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Fla. Rep in Hot Water for Homophobia (Extremely Flammable!) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Fla. Rep in Hot Water for Homophobia (Extremely Flammable!)
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remedy = voting Neanderthals out of office.

------------------
The negotiations have failed. Shoot him!
~ C. Montgomery Burns

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is something to be said about tolerance. I fail to see why gay people are gay, but I have no problem with it, and respect them the same as any other people I see. Why we can't all do this is pretty obvious, there is a little thing called human nature, and the desire to belong to a group of peers makes people do certain things like ridicule minority groups(like gays and lesbians) in order to gain acceptance. Is there a way to get around this? I guess so, people should be educated more and straight people should stop taking offense when someone calls them gay, because that in turn will lead people to accept gay people as normal, but untill people stop using that term as something derogatory then there can be no true social acceptance for anyone.

------------------
"Well if it's gonna be that kind of a party, I'm putting my dick in the mashed potatoes!"

-Nimrod 16/4/2001

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that instead of laws being set up to protect gays and lesbians that people should be educated on the matter. Stop the cause not the effect. As for the senator he has a right to his opinion, it doesn't make it right but he still has a right to it. And his views should not be transfered to his political group. One person doesn't make the group.

------------------
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the weaponry to make the difference.

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really hope I'm not offending anyone. Blue, my posts are not directed at you personally. I really don't care one way or another what your personal opinions are. (Oops. I hope I didn't offend you there either.)

Anyway, I would just like to point out that he made a religious and blatantly homophobic statement not only about making an appearance for the group, but also regarding a BILL that was trying to be passed. Regardless of whether or not I agree with the bill, that does add slightly more weight to the argument than we seem to think. It was not that he was ONLY denying them support, but was vowing to sink the bill at the same time.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so we shoot him for doing what he thinks is right in a legal manner. So, in effect, those that will try to vote him out of office will need to be shot also, for doing what they think is right in a legal manner.

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone who wants to know what it's like being a gay teen in a homophobic school, go watch last weeks and this weeks episodes of "Queer As Folk".

------------------
In this crazy world of lemons, baby...you're lemonade!

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look, if you keep trying to look at it from all points of view you'll get nowhere. He can say what he feels like, and the group has a right not to be insulted, so it is a double view, the only variable is the public oppinion.

------------------
"Well if it's gonna be that kind of a party, I'm putting my dick in the mashed potatoes!"

-Nimrod 16/4/2001

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"people should stop taking offense when someone calls them gay, because that in turn will lead people to accept gay people as normal, but untill people stop using that term as something derogatory then there can be no true social acceptance for anyone."

I'm not saying I agree or disagree, but I should note that "gay" is quite often used over here as an insult (at least amoungst university students). The thing is, it is used by people who are completely non-homophobic, and it's used to describe things that have nothing to do with homosexuality. I've even got a gay friend who uses it.

Besides, I have a feeling that the US version of Queer as Folk will be horrible. Watch the UK version. It does occasionally suffer from the "Look! We're gay! We're doing shocking things!", and it also occasionally depicts gay sexual acts that would come under a lot of flack if a similar hetrosexual thing was done, but it's funny. And it has Doctor Who references! Which make it at least 32% better.

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well what IS public opinion? And I don't mean across the country, I mean in suburban Orlando, which he represents as according to the article.

I mean, I doubt he was a closet Christian Fundamentalist until this one incident...its possible but doubtful.

Is it possible that he was elected in that area because his voters knew of his views and supported them? And he's only now in hot water because the story has gone "national"?
In which case, he's just giving his voters exactly what they voted for....thats his job: representing his local constituency, and not the country at large.

------------------
"The Guide says that there is an art to flying...or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Life, the Universe and Everything

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the point. He KNEW that he was going to give a talk to the GALIXY group. He knew that it was a gay/lesbian student group. He KNEW excatly what he was saying when he said it and he KNEW that his comments would be harmful.

Let's use this for an example. (I hate examples but in this case...)

Rep. Bob Smith (I) is known for his stand on anti-affirmative action legislation. Rep. Smith supports doing away with any affirmitive action laws and on top ofthat, would do away with any kind of funding of social programes that benifit minorities. He's even been known to make the occasional racist comment. So, our illustrious Rep. Smith goes to a High School that's predomitatly black. He gives a speech on the evils of affirmative action programs and social welfare spending. He then finishes up his speech with the quote "Y'know, if you niggers wasn't so lazy and busy killin' each other over who's got the best sneakers, you could be prouctive citizens."

Now, in the real world, this represenative would be soooooo barbecued in the press and anywhere else and his political career would be all but over. Trovillion does exactly what i've used as an explanation but it's perfectly allright because it was to a bunch of "Sodomites", then it's perfectly allright.

Sure, he can say, think, want, feel as much as he wants. That's freedom of speech. He also has the freedom to express himself as the asshole that he is. That's fine too. That's not however the whole point of all this.

The point is that this "person" said something which will be heared by others as carte blanche to commit hate crimes. That's exactly WHY sexual orientation should be added to the list that Trovillion wants to shoot down in the Florida legislature. We're (meaning gay and lesbian people in this state) are sick and TIRED of being beaten or murdered left and right and the cops not doing ANYTHING about it.

Liberty and Justice for all? Ha. What a sick joke.

------------------
In this crazy world of lemons, baby...you're lemonade!

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"His party affilation should not come into play here, unless you hear the same thing from all Republicans- and you don't."

1) It's hard to distinguish the Christian Fundamentalists from the Right wingers, probably because that's where they all reside. You don't see that many Fundies on the left side of the political spectrum. Our version of the US Republican Party is so full of bigots that disparaging remarks are all too common in that party

2) If Bush wants to protect his integrity, he should call for this guys head. Otherwise, this incident will come to stain this party for the next 4 years he is in office.

------------------
"In a completely unrelated news story, I have a date tomorrow night."
- Omega, in trying to explain why pigs are now flying, why Microsoft products are now working perfectly, hell freezing over, and George W Bush giving a flawless speech. 04/06/01, 12:17AM

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone remember Ted Danson's black-face performance at a Republican fund-raiser about 10 years back? That sure didn't help the Republican Party's race-relation image.

Quatre made an excellent point: looking at what happened to Mathew Shephard, and the hate that exists for homosexuals, Trovillion is fanning the flames. He's just made it "okay" to kill a fag, because, hey, that's what God is going to do anyway. Why not save the Almighty some work, hmmm?

Maybe Trovillion'll find his way to a horny Klingon gay bathhouse.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
I wouln't say that anyone who has ceased to post every time you rant has "realized that they couldn't win" Omega. It's more like "oh, great he comes Mr. conservative frontal lobotomy boy who only hits one note over and over and over and over..."
-Jay, July 15, 2000

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually go with the Spetznaz' dressing room.

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

MC Infinity
Member # 531

People, human beings are assholes. This is not an oppinion, it is a fact. They will look for ways to discriminate against others. Now that racism is not the way to go, they prejudice by sexual preference. When all of this is over they will find something new to prejudice about, it is simple human nature, it's not gonna go away. A typical example comes to mind B5's Telepaths, and how everyone hated and feared them, and how the people that were born on Mars were getting a lot of attitude from the Earth-born, and were treated as second class citizens.

Prejudice has been here since the dawn of mankind, it is here today, and it will be here untill the day that an intelligent force smites us and saves the universe from the plague that is mankind.

------------------

-Nimrod 16/4/2001

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What if we are the best there is?

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps