Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » The Pot. Discuss. (Page 10)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: The Pot. Discuss.
The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
NOTHING used responsibly is dangerous.
By the same token, anything used irresponsibly is dangerous. Practically everything around us has some improper use. Looking around me I see a stapler, which I think you'll agree can be used irresponsibly. Mouse cord, markers, scissors, bin bag, they can all be dangerous. If we can handle the responsibility of being around these objects, surely we can do so for marijuana. Of course we'll always have exceptions.

quote:
The problem is that the folks who want to legalize cannabis have generally NOT demonstrated the great heights of their ability to behave responsibly.
I think you have to go out of your way to do something dangerous with marijuana (driving while in any inebriated state, of course, is anathema), and if you're going to go out of your way to be irresponsible, then I think there's not much anyone can do to stop you doing so, with marijuana or anything else.

--------------------
"Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!"

The Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't say dangerous, I said irresponsible. Doing anything illegal (while it's still illegal) for your own self-aggrandizement is generally demonstrating irresponsibility.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The problem is that the folks who want to legalize cannabis have generally NOT demonstrated the great heights of their ability to behave responsibly.

Which once more is an absurd generalisation. Not everyone calling for the legalisation of cannabis is a stoner (or whatever the correct term is. . . pothead?) or even uses the stuff. And as for the people who have, define irresponsible. Are they irresponsible for smoking this currently-illegal substance, full stop? Or are you saying that everyone who smokes it immediately does irresponsible things?

And, again, there are plenty of other people who consistently behave irresponsibly while under the influence of other, currently-legal substances yet who are generally able to appear to be trustworthy, responsible members of society.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DUH! The statement ITSELF admits to being a generalization! That's what "Generally" MEANS, ye daft gowk!

Admittedly, there are a few idealists who actually have economics and the use of hemp fibers and such as their goals... but I'm cynical enough to have figured out (sheer observation) that they're not REALLY in the majority.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the opponents of legalisation sometimes attach a stigma to those who use cannabis simply on the grounds that it is illegal, without ever considering the fact that the law might be wrong, or even unjust. Laws are subject to review.

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I was stating that what I hate most is when someone turns my own words around into something completely pointless while choosing to forego the obvious point implied and makes a derogatory joke at my account. People that make these kinds of statements are people that are incapable of sustaining an argument on a proffessional level and have deep flaws in their logic so they resort to personal assaults in order to shield themselves."

Oooh, handbags.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I think the opponents of legalisation sometimes attach a stigma to those who use cannabis simply on the grounds that it is illegal, without ever considering the fact that the law might be wrong, or even unjust. Laws are subject to review.

Well, I believe (notice the clause I believe) that the general response to people breaking the law clandestinely in such a manner makes the federal government, against which you are opposed, want to increase efforts against the lawbreakers. Lobbying or protesting gets much different results. Possibly the changing or reviewing of the law.

I don't feel that politicians or the average citizen make an effort to read into statistics like that. If they see more and more people using marijuana illegally, they will simply think more action against this illegal use is necessary. They will not think, "Oh, since so many people want to use this illegal substance, the fact that it is illegal might be in error."

However, if you staged massive protests, say, gathering all those who use marijuana illegally in front of the capitol building, the politicians and public might think, "Oh, a significant portion of the population is against the illegal nature of marijuana. Let's think about this."

I guess what I'm trying to say is, well of course such a stigma will be attached. A law is subject to review, but won't be unless the public shows in a very public display what they care about. The method of demonstration against a law will significantly change the way the law and demonstrators are viewed. So don't argue by your lonesome and smoke in dark alleys if you want this to change. Band together! Lobby! Work valiantly for your cause!

Boy this was a confusing post. If it makes no sense, ignore it. I'm tired.

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

Don't worry, it makes perfect sense. It's just that I'm not the type of person to march on the streets in protest. But I agree it probably would be the most effective way to get a political debate going. Maybe some day when I'm older and more secure and have nothing better to do I'll try organising something like that. Then again I could well be living in another country by that stage (Holland, Belgium or Jamaica, here I come!!).

--------------------

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps