Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » The Pot. Discuss. (Page 9)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: The Pot. Discuss.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aha! Marijuana equals nuclear weapons. Of course! It all makes sense now.
Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dontcha just love it when people exaggerate to make a point? I know it may seem extremely farfetched, but bear with me. I do this to provoke thought, not to be annoying. We'll see how successful I am.

I was previously speaking on an individual basis, but think about it on an international scale. What right do powerful nations like the US have to restrict the use of nuclear weaponry by other "underdeveloped" or "inexperienced" nations that want to use them? Because we say that they're bad? Don't these other nations have the right to decide for themselves whether or not they should use these weapons?

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a really good friend named Daniel, and he beleives in weed more than Omega beleives in god (which sounds hard to beleive, but it is true) and it kinda freaks me everytime I see someone with the exact same name say something against it. This has nothing to do with nething, but I said it anyways

--------------------
Me- Hi Jen! What's up!
Jen- You again??!?! Listen kid, I'm not interested in you. Stop bothering me, I'm a lot older than you and I have a boyfriend. How did you find my ICQ number anyways?
Me- Oh, so just cuz you're a movie star now, and you're new album made millions, you think you're too good for me?
Jen- Yes!!! Get it thorough your head! I am a person, I am not Jennifer Lopez the hottest woman on earth that everyone wants to sleep with, I'm a person, leave me alone!!!
Me- Fine! Be that way!
Me- Jen.... Where'd you go.... I love you... please come back.... please....

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I have to say that while I see what you're trying to do, comparing marijuana to nuclear weapons is annoying. This is because at the end of the day, while there are similarities with what's being discussed, the similarities are tenuous and don't really hold much water. The use of nuclear weapons has cataclysmic consequences for millions of people, and cannot really be considered in the same light as a recreational drug in terms of a once-off use.

I can see why some people would get annoyed if I suggested that one needs to have tried marijuana to understand that it's harmless. If you're operating on the premise that marijuana is a dangerous, addictive substance, then this opinion is understandable. The thing is, from what I've read (and smoked), I don't think it's dangerous and addictive.

[ May 29, 2001: Message edited by: Gurgeh ]

--------------------
"Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!"

The Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops. Sorry to annoy you. Just for clarification, even though you've probably said it before and I missed it, do you think that it isn't addictive physically, psychologically, or both?

And not to piss you off any more than you already are, because you've probably had another long day, but, I don't believe in the "recreationalism" of health damaging drugs. Even ones that aren't REALLY all that harmful.

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So you're in favor of banning caffiene, then?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I have a really good friend named Daniel, and he beleives in weed more than Omega beleives in god"

I have met very few people who don't actually believe in weed. And those people are still traumatised by their recent discovery of the non-existence of Father Christmas.

For what it's worth, I don't believe in legs. They are obviously an evil made up thing, and are responsible for almost all the evils in the world. If people stopped believing in legs, then we'd have had a few less wars.

But I digress.

It isn't addictive pysiologically. Read any paper without a bias, since I'm far too lazy to find one to quote myself.

As for it being psychologically addictive...isn't anything you like psychologically addictive to some degree? I eat chips. I like chips. I want to eat more chips. Good Lord! I'm an addict. I must go to chips anonymous.

[ May 30, 2001: Message edited by: PsyLiam ]

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My official position is that marijuana is not physically addictive, but may be psychologically addictive for some people. As PsyLiam mentioned, I suppose anything pleasurable has the potential to become psychologically addictive for certain people.

In response to "I don't believe in the "recreationalism" of health damaging drugs. Even ones that aren't REALLY all that harmful.", first of all I respect that opinion. My own thoughts on that issue are different however, and I'll explain, although I know I'm at risk of being flamed over it.

You see, it depends on your philosophy. I think life should be enjoyable, because this is the only life we have. Now, we have already established, in my view, that cannabis is not a dangerous drug, used responsibly of course. Apart from the fact that the health consequences are not serious, I think the main thing going for it is that it's not addictive. The fact that some ageing, old-fashioned bureaucrat has a right to stop me partaking in an enjoyable activity that doesn't damage anyone else, ie. to take enjoyment out of my finite life without a proper reason, is quite infuriating.

I doubt this is an angle from which many of you have viewed the issue, but it's the way I feel.

--------------------
"Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!"

The Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam, please, please don't be such a dick. Can you try, huh?
You know damn well what I meant, but you're having too much fun with what it 'could' mean. I have said time and again, that if there is one thing that absolutely enrages me, it's this, so please, don't do it, m'kay?

--------------------
Me- Hi Jen! What's up!
Jen- You again??!?! Listen kid, I'm not interested in you. Stop bothering me, I'm a lot older than you and I have a boyfriend. How did you find my ICQ number anyways?
Me- Oh, so just cuz you're a movie star now, and you're new album made millions, you think you're too good for me?
Jen- Yes!!! Get it thorough your head! I am a person, I am not Jennifer Lopez the hottest woman on earth that everyone wants to sleep with, I'm a person, leave me alone!!!
Me- Fine! Be that way!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep it up, Liam!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Daniel
Member # 453

Sol System: No, I'm not in favor of banning caffeine. However I generally abstain from drinking anything with caffeine IN it, coffees, teas, sodas, etc. Anyways, caffeine is probably more addictive than marijuana.

Gurgeh: I entirely understand your opinion and I respect that. I am just on the opposite side of the line.

On a lighter note, I would personally enjoy building large starships in space. But since I have not the financial backing, or the technical training, or the rights according to antiquated treaties from the 1970s (besides the fact that I'm still in high school) I can't. This infuriates me too. Perhaps I can change things by the time I'm working for NASA.

--------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
cannabis is not a dangerous drug, used responsibly of course.

NOTHING used responsibly is dangerous. Even arsenic has its uses. (anybody else here read about the new anti-cancer drug whose active ingredient is arsenic? Can I have some more of it in my water, please?) Flourine is a poison, too, but in small doses it helps your teeth.

The problem is that the folks who want to legalize cannabis have generally NOT demonstrated the great heights of their ability to behave responsibly.

[ May 31, 2001: Message edited by: First of Two ]

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

MC Infinity
Member # 531

Jeff? What is that supposed to mean?

--------------------
Me- Hi Jen! What's up!
Me- Fine! Be that way!

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's his way of telling you to gain control of your offensensitivity.

Translated: If this discussion with people you've never met, and likely never will, deeply offends you on a personal level... you need to take a nice hot bath with a dry martini.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

MC Infinity
Member # 531

That's not what I was saying. I was stating that what I hate most is when someone turns my own words around into something completely pointless while choosing to forego the obvious point implied and makes a derogatory joke at my account.
People that make these kinds of statements are people that are incapable of sustaining an argument on a proffessional level and have deep flaws in their logic so they resort to personal assaults in order to shield themselves.

--------------------
Me- Hi Jen! What's up!
Me- Fine! Be that way!

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps