Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » The Pot. Discuss. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10   
Author Topic: The Pot. Discuss.
Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lot of herbal remedies are also 100% natural, yet can be highly dangerous because they are not required to pass the rigorous testing and study procedures of the FDA that are applied to other drugs. I don't trust or take any of them.

What I'm saying is that because something is "natural" does not automatically make it safe or good for human consumption. I will again revert to plutonium. 100% natural. Good for you? Nooo. Neither is 12 molar hydrochloric acid, which is an ionic compound of two pure elements in an aqueous solution. can't get more natural than that.

I still say that breathing in lungfuls of smoke isn't really going to help out your respiratory system very much, regardless of whether or not the burning substance is "natural" or "unprocessed".

By the way, how does this "study" define "minimal" in terms of lung damage? And, what is the "normal" dosage for marijuana? I would also like to point out that the USDA or some association thereof published a study saying that a boxful of rasberries a day prevents cancer.

Yeah. Right.

The Department of Agriculture and the Food and Drug Administration have very different goals, I think.

------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assume for a moment that marijuana would be completely legal. Would you get in a taxi with a puffing driver? Would you get on a train in the same situation?

And what about passive smoking? Pregnant women, serving in bars and restaurants with 30% weed smokers?

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's dumb. I sure as hell won't do it. But, really, as far as other people are concerned, I'll quote Ebenezer Scrooge: "If they would rather die, they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population." Not that they die too often, but you get the point. Let people do their own stupid things, and bear their own consequences.

However, I think it should only be legal for people to do while locked away somewhere, where they can't affect the rest of us.

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<cough>Marijuana is more carcinogenic than tobacco.</cough>

------------------
"And as it is, it is cheaper than drinking."
-DT on arguing with Omega, April 30

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure? I didn't think so, but maybe you're right. Maybe people just don't tend to get cancer from it because they tend to smoke it less than tobacco...

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well yeah, considering that weed is that much more expensive then smokes.

------------------
What is the difference between a terriorist and your girlfriend?
- With terrorist, there is a chance of negotiation.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Well, not if they keep raising taxes on cigarettes. Which, of course, they should. :-)

------------------
Lister: "Cat, what are you doing?"
Cat: "I'm courting."
Lister: "Courting who?"
Cat: "Whoever shows up!"
-Red Dwarf, "Me�"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought taxes were bad? (Even when they might discourage people from killing themselves)

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
Card-Carrying Member of the Flare APAO
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not if they are spent on better things, like kindergartens, hospitals and such.

------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Assume for a moment that marijuana would be completely legal. Would you get in a taxi with a puffing driver?"

Er, of course not. But then, I wouldn't get in a tazi with a driver who's drinking a pint of bitter.

"And what about passive smoking? Pregnant women, serving in bars and restaurants with 30% weed smokers?"

Now, don't bars and restaurants often have these crazy areas we call "non-smoking sections"? Wouldn't that almost certainly apply to pot as well?

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Nim
Member # 205

Won't mean a thing on a busy saturday night, especially for the people working there.

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Liam: Maybe it's different where you are, but I've never seen a place w/ smoking and non-smoking sections where the two areas don't share the same air. There aren't actually walls separating the two sections. Smoke just wafts right from one to the other...

------------------
-Red Dwarf, "Me�"

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well as for the high taxi driver comment , I think Most people as with drinking will be grown up enough to keep away from heavy equipment and public situations , of course theres always gona be the few assholes who feel they have to endanger other peoples lives , as with alcohol.

I think that if Marijuana was to be legalized there would definatly need to be some sort of rock hard regulation.

I smoke from time to time and everyone i know doesnt like to be out and about while high, you all seem to forget weed isnt a "party drug" its more of a chill out and lay down experiance.

Also , a pack of Malboros is what? 3 dollers US? I dunno im not interested in Cigerettes , worst habit possible if you ask me.

Well just for your info , the average nickel bag of weed is 5 dollers a Nickel is enough for id say 2 - 3 people depending on what kind of smokers your dealing with.

Cancer , well compare smoking one or two joint a day to 2 1/2 packs of Poison Sticks?

As for the tax issue , i wouldnt mind paying a bit extra if the cash is going where it needs to go.

Taxes arent bad , If paying the gov a peice of my pay check keeps my roads paved , my neighborhood safe and my kids educated , i have no problems with that.

I guess my arguement is , Legalize it , but first conduct some indepth studies into how to keep some control on it.

I guess the best way is to start issueing those Marijuana sells licences to trusted drug companies. If you give teh average smoker a choice between going to his local pharmacy and buying Phizer Brand or going to Joe Cokehead on the corner and being potentialy laced stuff and the pharmacy will win.

I guess the problem that might come up there is Phizer or some other company putting some kind of addictive substance in their weed.

Again , Government regulation is the key.

I'm done rambling on

------------------
The Kiwi Wars are over... The forces of the Kiwi Order have prevailed and the galaxy is now safe for Kiwi Kind!
Jupiter Station , Starfleet Research & Development

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I must live in a blessed state. I believe it is illegal to smoke in public areas in New York. You never walk into a restaurant and smell cigarette smoke. Everyone is always smoking outside. Same for any other public building. I like it.

------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Smoking outside should be illegal, too. Even if one spends time in a non-smoking building, one still has to walk through all the smokers when one leaves the building.

------------------
-Red Dwarf, "Me�"

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps