Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » The Pot. Discuss. (Page 8)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: The Pot. Discuss.
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are some facts for the Medical Science Journal and Encyclopedia I was reading here at school.
"...each Marijuana joint is as harmful as about five tobacco cigarettes, and when a joint is smoked, more than 2,000 chemicals are absorbed by the lungs. In addition, this drug has proven detrimental effects on memory and it hinders learning. Habitual use of marijuana leads to the likelihood that the pot smoker will be attracted to harder drugs; more then 78% of pot smokers world wide eventually 'move on' to harder drugs."

Basically, the Pot-addict (oh, and btw, it is addictive.) has a lesser and lesser effect when Marijuana is smoked, so the amount is upped each time. This eventually causes the user to move onto more damaging drugs.

Marijuana also imbalances seritonin, dopamine, and other chemicals in the brain, which could result in loss in judgment but has not been proven. It does however reduce reaction time, and limits attention span.

Its very sad that, even if I show these pot smokers at my school this information, they deny it. They are so addicted to it they swear to it, they create a delusion in themselves that tells them they know more then years of scientific research. Ive heard some pretty stupid things, like "At least I�m not smoking cigarettes" and such. But the real kicker is pot smokers refuse to learn the damaging effects of their 'sub-culture'.

That being said, I believe it should remain illegal here in the states, cigarettes should also be banned here. I believe they will be within the next 20 years. I will then be happy when I don�t have to wait for a bus or stand in line for something and smell that god awful stench of smoke, entering my lungs and killing me (even worse then the smoker itself).

Wes

------------------
Wes Button[email protected]
TechFX StudiosThe United Federation Uplink
------------------
I don't like Wesley Crusher.

[This message has been edited by Wes1701E (edited May 25, 2001).]

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, well, sometimes I feel as if your spelling mistakes are taking years off my life, but I'm not trying to make you illegal.

------------------
"If Morden is afraid of green penguins, and Draal is shown to have
access to them, a speculation would be that Draal will use them
against Morden in the future. However if Draal only has a purple
moose, saying that he could use it against Morden would be a story
idea."

- rastb5m FAQ

Phasers

Wes
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What spelling errors?

------------------
------------------

Wes
Member # 212

j/k, btw

------------------
------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"There are probably a lot more Amtrak drivers who've crashed trains because they were drunk. Or had a heart attack at the wheel because they smoked 80 cigarettes a day."

And we need to get rid of those, too. What's your point? :-)

------------------
"Even the colors are pompous!"
-a friend of mine, looking at a Lexus brochure

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vogon indeed said: "Yes, well, sometimes I feel as if your spelling mistakes are taking years off my life, but I'm not trying to make you illegal."

Couldn't you just have said "You got a point there" like that rabbit punch reflected anyway?

------------------
"Babies haven't any hair;
old men's heads are just as bare;
between the cradle and the grave
lies a haircut and a shave."

Samuel Hoffenstein

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, he could have argued with Wes, but he probably realised that he'd have more fun hitting his face with a hammer, and deceided to make a joke.

"more then 78% of pot smokers world wide eventually 'move on' to harder drugs."

And I submit to you, sir, that these people would end up taking hard drugs anyway. The pot is not making them move onto heroin. Something screwy within themselves is making them take it.

If you take drugs to make up for something missing in your life (for example, if you drink to hide the pain of being fat and ginger), then yes, that's bad, evil, and you will end up injecting heroin directly into your eyes. However, if you're a normal, happy person, who doesn't have violent women killing tendancies, then pot, alcohol, and theme parks are fine and lovely things.

"Basically, the Pot-addict (oh, and btw, it is addictive..."

I'm glad you're here to tell us these things.

"...has a lesser and lesser effect when Marijuana is smoked, so the amount is upped each time. This eventually causes the user to move onto more damaging drugs."

Yes. Was this in your scientific journal? And does it apply to all drugs? Cause if so, we'd better stop those hay fever sufferers from gettting "high" on their anti-histamines, before they end up on the crack-cocaine express.

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Wes
Member # 212

"...The pot is not making them move onto heroin. Something screwy within themselves is making them take it."

Not really, pot is known as a "gateway" drug. The user becomes so dependant on the high they receive from the drug that it starts to loose its effect, leaving the option of taking other more serious drugs seem more appealing. This was from a psychological study done in the 80's and 90's, I know this from a health class I took two years ago. The 78% number is factual.

"Yes. Was this in your scientific journal? And does it apply to all drugs? Cause if so, we'd better stop those hay fever sufferers from getting "high" on their anti-histamines, before they end up on the crack-cocaine express."

Not all drugs are gateway drugs.

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The stuff you're posting is propaganda that goes against 90% of the information out there. Practically every source I've ever read says you don't develop a resistance to THC.

It's all very well for you to say "Pot does this" and "Pot does that" but at the end of the day, if you'd ever tried it, you'd know how harmless it is. I'm not for a second suggesting that you should try it, that's your choice (well actually it's the governments choice, not yours), but you can't really preach about it without some understanding of it. (I'm assuming you have never smoked pot).

--------------------
"Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!"

The Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So it comes down to this. What you're actually saying to everyone at this forum is "you should try pot and then come to me and talk about it so that we can maybe get it easier in the future, if we can persuade the bigwigs."

Say someone, perhaps a kid reading this thread, goes to a party and starts puffing (after being inspired by you) and then gets addicted (kids these days are under a lot of pressure, needs relaxing, yeah...) then gets shot by their local supplier for not paying for the last three fixes, you're nothing but a, excuse the word, fucking pimp that wants to spread a drug. That's what your dandy, thoroughly researched debate will add up too.

This happened to two kids in a school a mile from where I grew up, in SWEDEN!! Gunned down at the restrooms. For some cash (Apparently the murderers said the victims didn't "respect" them by paying).

But hey, they were responsible for their own actions, isn't that right? Cause and effect, you know? No biggie.

Well, don't worry, boy, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Looks at Nimrod's post*

*Looks at own previous post*

Well, Nimrod, you obviously didn't read my post, did you? No, just the parts you needed to portray me as a drug-pushing pimp. To quote myself

quote:
I'm not for a second suggesting that you should try it (pot)
Now how does this translate to
quote:
What you're actually saying to everyone at this forum is "you should try pot and ...etc. etc."

You don't know me, you know nothing about me, your attempts to vilify me show your contempt for rationality.

Would those two kids have been gunned down if marijuana was legal? I don't think so, because then they could have grown it or gotten it from a friend, instead of dealing with vicious criminals.

And just because someone does something regularly, it doesn't mean they're addicted to it. I personally haven't smoked pot in about 5 months. Funnily enough, despite what you and Wes say about it being addictive, I didn't have any cravings or withdrawl symptoms. A piece of advice: get your bloody facts right.

Your attempts to load my conscience with guilt due to the actions of other people, and your insinuations disgust me. However, an apology would be acceptable.

[ May 28, 2001: Message edited by: Gurgeh ]

--------------------
"Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!"

The Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

Nim
Member # 205

Ok, I admit I used too much gunpowder there, for that I'm sorry. But come on, your comment on free will notwithstanding, you do hope that as many of us as possible will try it, if only to form an opinion. And I think that's a bad move, is all.
You can't judge or foresee other people's reactions to said drug by comparing it to your own experiences. We're all unique.

Besides, and I know there are oh such a precious few that believe in this dream, I think that the production and selling of cigarettes and other nicotine products will have been severely downsized by 2030 to 2050. It simply doesn't work in the long run.

And if marijuana is only half as toxic and addictive as cigarretes it's simply not a good move to legalize, it kind of defeats the purpose of the whole anti-drug campaign, it sends the wrong message.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got high one night. I was lethargic for most of the next day, and don't remember working that night (the night after I'd smoked) at all -- made close to $200, tho, so maybe I should do it more often ... BUT!

I was very lethargic. Sat at my computer all day in my boxers. And, like I said, work was just a blur.

So, I tried marijuanika, can't say I cared for it. Won't do it again.

And that's my two cents.

Although, guys, before you knock something, you might want to try it. I really hate people who say, "only losers drink beer! It tastes like piss!" and then admit that, no, they have not, in fact, ever drinken a beer.

Sheeesh.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wrote something funny here once (I assume). The next day though, some kid thought he'd be the big man, and tried to be funny at school. He upset the wrong person, and he ended up being kicked in the face by an angry person (angry at himself, no doubt).

So, I think the message is don't copy anyone, ever.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You can't really preach about it without some understanding of it.

Okay, so should we all stop saying that nuclear warheads are bad just because we haven't had firsthand experience with them? But if I go out and build one and blow it up, THEN I could preach about the evils of nuclear warheads. But of course, that's entirely illegal, and who knows, I might hurt someone in the process, so you wouldn't for a minute suggest that I actually do it. Just that I should have firsthand experience before talking about it. Yup. That makes sense.

I mean, who knows? The government might have falsified and spread data on their harmful side effects, and nuclear warheads are actually as safe as apple pie. Nuclear wind? Ha! Radioactivity? Says who?

Look. You can't say that marijuana is completely harmless, and I don't think that you are, but again, should we legalize marijuana JUST BECAUSE other more potent drugs are legal? What sort of logic leads you to that conclusion?

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps