Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » HAH!! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: HAH!!
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoah there, bear... are you saying that the US' status as the world's sole superpower is the one thing that's preventing the world from descending into war?

Jesus. Now that's arrogance.

------------------
"And as it is, it is cheaper than drinking."
-DT on arguing with Omega, April 30

[This message has been edited by The_Tom (edited May 10, 2001).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, our status as preeminent superpower is closely related to our unsurpassed economic capacity.

Thus, losing one would likely mean losing the other, which would cause an upheaval in the global economy worse than the Asian crashes a while back, since we have our widdle hands in everything everywhere...

And since most wars are fought for economic reasons...

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am saying that the vacuum that would be created would probably not be a good thing for anyone.

The Tom: I don�t like the way you use �Super Power�, you act like we have nuclear weapons aimed at everybodies throat. This term seems to be use whenever a source wants to demonize my country as a big bully.

American foreign policy is a direct results of our desire to maintain a prosperous economy, so the fact that we medal in others affairs is less about being ARROGANT and more about continuing of our prosperity. In my understanding of the world, the prosperity of the U.S. means the prosperity of everyone. National lines are being blurred by industry everyday, once economically superior countries are finding themselves to be a kin to paper tigers, diminished to compete in the world markets where doing business is a hundred times more cut throat. The sad thing is that the idea of industry serving a country is less true today than the idea of a country serving industry. I would hope that those here would understand the colossal dynamics of being one of largest contributors to the world economy, and not make a hasty opinion or quick judgment that is based a simplistic view of subject that is anything but simple.

Please accept my most sincere apology if I offended anyone, I was simply trying to defend what�s left of the idea of my countries honor. I can�t say how we got here, but never the less we are here.

Note: I have not said anything bad about Canada, and I haven't subscribed to the belief that all Canadians dislike all United Statians because of our brashness. By subscribing to that I would enforce a stereotype that would imply that Canadians can�t form their own opinion based on person to person basis. In general the U.S. would have absolutely no sense of humor, no hockey (the best sport every played), and god knows no Star Trek, so in light of these I could personally never say anything bad about Canada no matter what she says about me and my country.

This has been my attempt to sooth some nerves, ease some tension, and to show that our fates are more intertwined than most are realizing.
------------------
Access Password
47at
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/9268/index.html

[This message has been edited by bear (edited May 10, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by bear (edited May 10, 2001).]

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This isn't "Canada is better than the US." This is "US foreign policy is, by your own admission, completely based on the principle of following the course of action that leads to increased benefits to the US." And while it'd be a flat-out lie to say any nation doesn't do the same thing, other Western nations like Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the members of the European Union have shown a far greater commitment to look beyond their own needs and towards the fundamentals that lead to a prosperous humanity on the whole.

It benefitted the US to help Pinochet rise to power. It benefitted the US to fund Israel to push the Arabs out of Palestine. It benefitted the US to arm the Iraqis and Mujahidin.

Did these things benefit humanity on the whole? No. Do Americans care? No.

US is not one of three Western nations legally elected to a position. So your government votes to freeze paying UN dues. Why? Because the needs of the US apparently aren't met when it doesn't hold a position of power on a committee. Fuck that. You are founding members of the UN, and one little setback like this isn't worth denying a worthy organization the money it needs to feed starving children and pay peacekeepers to stop people from slaughtering one another.

It's the same story with the International Criminal Court or the Ottawa Treaty on Landmines or the Kyoto Protocol.

Why can't the US gov't be the bigger people, accept that life as we know it won't fall to pieces if three European countries are on a committee rather than the US and two others, and for once accept that the US has to "take one for the team."

------------------

[This message has been edited by The_Tom (edited May 10, 2001).]

bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
right...

------------------
Access Password
47at
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/9268/index.html

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mmm, I could care less if it was filled with communists..... as long as the work got done right for all....

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The U.S. is a fiercely independent country which probably can be attributed to going at things alone or not taking much of anything "for the team" of course that probably won't help...

------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>"the US has to "take one for the team.""

WHAT 'team?'

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The team of world countries???
The Allies was a team... as was the Cush Coalition....
The UN is a team...

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

"The team of world countries???"

Clearly, a basic understanding of world events shows that there is no such animal... or at least, it's rarer than the pushmi-pullyu.

"The Allies was a team... as was the Cush Coalition...."

The Allies was a group banded together for mutual defense and benefit, who were actually largely in conflict with each other (ask the US and Soviets of the time) about even the most basic of goals. Not a team.

I admit ignorance as to the "Cush Coalition."

"The UN is a team..."

Must... control... hysterical... laughter...

------------------

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The EU is the only attempt I've seen at uniting people and surpassing the problems we have today. If only it were to change to a global union, instead of only a European one, then we could perhaps reach what we've been striving for so long

------------------
"Well if it's gonna be that kind of a party, I'm putting my dick in the mashed potatoes!"

-Nimrod 16/4/2001

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

No, the UN is not a team, if by team you demand unity or uniformity be present. But, sometimes, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one, and nations must consider the impact their selfishness has on others.

For example, do you think European businesses really want to adhere to the Kyoto protocol any more than American ones do? When we compare the EU and US, we see similar-sized populations and economic output, and yet one is willing to grit its teeth and cut greenhouse gas emissions for the good of every single person on the planet today and tomorrow, while the other sulks and says they'll do things how they like it.

------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AAAARRRRRGGGHH!!!

Arrogant America!! AAARRGGHH!

Because they have been VOTED out of a UN Committee, they refuse to pay their debts!
This is the most blatant example of American arrogancy this eehh, ... this WEEK!

I've completely had it with this George "Daddy said I could play president!" Bush as President. He's a complete ass-hole. Stupid redneck! Ignorant fool!

------------------
"Fuck L Ron Hubbard and fuck all his clones.
Fuck all those gun-toting
hip gangster wannabes."
-Tool, Ænima

---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
George W. Bush is not a redneck.

He uses suntan lotion.

And the US refused to pay its debt waaaaay before it got kicked off any committee ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
Card-Carrying Member of the Flare APAO
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited May 13, 2001).]

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, after rain comes sun. Maybe the next president will be something else. If the term still exists then.
I hope Bush isn't planning to absolve the senate, nudge-nudge.

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps