Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » HAH!! (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: HAH!!
bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now I know I am among children.

------------------
Access Password
47at
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/9268/index.html

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>"You wanted to help countries so they wouldn't turn commie, not because you actually cared. "

Yeah, so? I didn't see any of those countries being too proud to take our money, did you? Motivation's largely irrelevant when you're living in a bombed-out shell.

And incidentally, WHOSE fault do you think it was for those post-WWI conditions, anyway? Not OURS. WE wanted to go easier on the Germans, but NOOOOOOO, they had to go and create humiliating conditions that were practically GUARANTEED to lead to a new war.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be the first to say that Wilson was full of great ideas, and, IMHO, FDR was a pretty smart guy too.

Of course, it's a fairly well-accepted historical theory that the Marshall plan combined with the American's development of the Atomic Bomb without notifying the Soviets drove Stalin into a nearly-paranoid defensive mentality that a rebuilt Germany backed by the US would invade the Soviet Union for the third time in a half-century. And hence the drive to annex "buffer" states in Eastern Europe and erect the Iron Curtain.

I'm not saying that the Marshall Plan was a bad idea or that Stalin was justified in doing what he did. I'm just saying that the Marshall Plan mightn't have been all rainbows and Christmas Trees.

It was American aid money during the Cold War that caused most the problems, however... Africa, the Middle East, Southeast Asia. Just because corrupt dictator "A" is willing to take American money to fight evil populist rebel leader "B" and the Americans are willing to give it to them doesn't mean that it's the right thing to do...

------------------
"And as it is, it is cheaper than drinking."
-DT on arguing with Omega, April 30

bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah well... being at the top of somebody�s hit list isn't an easy thing to tolerate.

------------------
Access Password
47at

[This message has been edited by bear (edited May 16, 2001).]

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm gonna use a jungle metaphor here. Whenever the elephants moves, he's bound to knock over a few monkeys, but if the elephant kept his ass in one place more often instead of knocking over everyone, the animals wouldn't be as mad at him. And although none of the other animals can take him one on one, if he enrages them enough they won't hesitate to gang up on him.

I think I've made my oppinion clear here, thank you. Next!

bear
Member # 124

I was always kind of fond of the one that says those who live in glass a house shouldn't throw stones.

------------------
Access Password
47at

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well said, Bear & First of 2

- a Canadian

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just came up with a stroke of marketing genius. I will make a energy drink and call it "Whoopass"
You know what's the best part though?
>>>>>>>> It will come in CANS!!!!

now you can really "open up a can of whoopass!!!"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that's already been made.

------------------
"And as it is, it is cheaper than drinking."
-DT on arguing with Omega, April 30

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it has.

BTW, that jungle thing is a bit interesting... In those conditions, it wouldn't be long before the elephant was sitting in a huge pile of his own shit. What does that do to your analogy? *L*

------------------
"Adults Do Not Teach By Examples, But By Word Scams That Brainwash And Indoctrinate Their Children's Malleable Minds, Destroying Youth. Rote Education Corrupts Childhood, Forcing Children To Become Adults."
-Gene Ray

[This message has been edited by TSN (edited May 18, 2001).]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In fact, the can of whoopass was one of the basis for the Powerpuff Girls, who, originally, were called the "Whoopass Girls". but, for some crazy gay and communist reason, their origin was tweaked, and their name was changed. Tsk.

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

Ah, a Jones product. That's where I came across it before. But $40 frigging bucks for 24 tiny cans? WTF?

(for the record, Fufuberry Soda, despite the Barbie 'n Skipper name, is quite the shit. Yay Urban Juice and Soda Co.!)

But I digress back to the original-original topic at hand. It would appear that at least one well-respected NGO seems to think that US's being passed over for other Western nations was on the HRC was no fluke. (Story).

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps