Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » The Political Compass (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: The Political Compass
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his need is a fundamentally good idea."

What does that supposed to mean anyways?

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Eclipse
Member # 472

- posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We'll never know. Marx simply said society should inscribe on its banners "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs", but never defined what he really meant.

Stalin had a very nice interpretation, though: work 'em 'til they drop, but feed 'em enough so they don't die quite yet.

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -0.82
Authoritarian/Libertarian: -3.04

odd, I always thought I was far more left wing than that

--------------------
Me- Hi Jen! What's up!
Jen- You again??!?! Listen kid, I'm not interested in you. Stop bothering me, I'm a lot older than you and I have a boyfriend. How did you find my ICQ number anyways?
Me- Oh, so just cuz you're a movie star now, and you're new album made millions, you think you're too good for me?
Jen- Yes!!! Get it thorough your head! I am a person, I am not Jennifer Lopez the hottest woman on earth that everyone wants to sleep with, I'm a person, leave me alone!!!
Me- Fine! Be that way!
Me- Jen.... Where'd you go.... I love you... please come back.... please....

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmm
Economic Left/Right: -3.27
Authoritarian/Libertarian: -3.56

So a bit right wing of Ghandi...but a similar libertarian bent....interesting
Incidentally...that means I'm the mirror image of the majority of British politicians who are mostly authoritarian-right, including Blair, which implies I'm the reverse of the majority of the population too. Cheery.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Economic Left/Right: -4.08
Authoritarian/Libertarian: -5.13

Interesting that, so far, all but a couple of us are in the -/- territory, w/ thoes other couple being -/+. In other words, everyone who's posted their scores are "left-wing", and mostly libertarian.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could it simply have something to do with the sample of the population here? I mean....people who use the Internet more often than the norm, will probably be less authoritarian if not libertarian...and younger in general so less conservative, add that to the fact that we probably all are influenced...if not in fundamental agreement with the ideals of Star Trek...that should tend to move us towards the left.

Thus you "would" think that forum would be more libertarian and left than the norm.

Or in simpler terms, someone in the +/+ range, an authoritarian right winger, might find the Internet, and particularly these forums too hostile to frequently participate in.

PS: You can simply "not" pick a choice in a particular category....which would count as "maybe" for those fence-sitters. Note that if you go through without picking anything, you simply show up as 0/0.

[ June 09, 2001: Message edited by: Mucus ]

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JK, you're further out there than I am. I didn't know that was possible! *LOL*

quote:
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his need is a fundamentally good idea."

What does that supposed to mean anyways?

That idea revolves around a communal idea whereby persons join together in a collective and each shares his particular gifts / trade with the others in common.

I.E. if I am a shoe maker, I make shoes for the group, the person who is a farmer grows the carrots and the person who is a doctor works with the sick and injured. The doctor and the farmer should not be in need of shoes because of the shoe maker. The shoe maker needs not worry about carrots and medicine because of the farmer and the doctor. The farmer...well you get the idea.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. "From each according to his ability, to each according to his need." The translation I was given in history was "Each person gives to the community what his talent enables him to give, and only takes from the community what is required to fill his needs."

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which, of course, either requires an all-powerful, tyrranical government that tramples on human rights; or a society where NO ONE is greedy. One is undesirable; the other impossible. Thus the statement, while conveying noble sentiment, is worthless.

As for the test, I got a 5.71 and a -2.15. Looks like I'm the only one here that believes in economic freedom, eh?

You know, I should really post a critique of this test. It's horribly done. Some reminds me of the reading comprehension section of an ACT, and that's BAD.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Better angels of our nature and all that...worthless.

*sneeze*

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Economic Left/Right: -1.22
Authoritarian/Libertarian: -4.71

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Societies with enough resources for their population would have no greed.

Meanwhile, I seem to be more libertarian than everyone. I don't know if that's good or bad.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After reading everyone's responses so far, I hereby dub the test as bollocks.

Apparently everyone on this forum bar Omega is left of Blair and absolutely everyone is more libertarian. Comparing everything I know about Blair's New Labour Policies with what I've seen over the past three years on the Flameboard and that's a simple impossibility.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's how everyone looks, according to the results so far...
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

The test may not be accurate to figure out who's left of whom, or whatever, but we should be able to tell something from it. Everyone's answers shoudl be processed the same way. Therefore, on a chart like I made above, even if everyone's positions are absolutely wrong, they could still be relatively correct. In other words, people who answered a lot of questions the same will be closer together, and people who answered differently will be farther apart. So, since MIB and Daniel are practically on top of each other, we can assume they answered most of the questions identically.

Even if it doesn't tell us where we lie according to some system, we can still see who thinks the same and who thinks differently...

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps