Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » The Political Compass (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: The Political Compass
BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH MY GOD, Omega is all alone in the far-right (compare to us anyway)!

--------------------
"George Washington said, 'I cannot tell a lie.'
Richard Nixon said, 'I cannot tell the truth.'
Bill Clinton said, 'I cannot tell the difference.'"

-- comedian TOM SMOTHERS, from his latest stage act with brother DICK SMOTHERS.

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Either way, the results are interesting, at least to compare to each other.

In relation to the British system, we are a little... odd.

It would be nice to have someone who knows what they're doing tell us how close the test is to Real Stuff...

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, the test may not be accurate, but it's fun to see Omega out there all by himself.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the whole concept of a political spectrum has never really been academically defined, but rather developed around a consensus of thought by political commentators on how people relate to others. In the US, Democrats on the whole are referred to as "the left," but if they were to be picked up and dumped in most places in Western Europe they'd be in the centre or centre-right. So it's an inexact science and nobody dares suggest it's any different.

What bugs me about this test is that it claims that if Tony Blair or a variety of other political figures were to have filled out the test they'd have been placed where they are. But I know damn well that First of Two should be considerably "southeast" of Blair based on the sort of opinions he's put forth on this forum and the sort of opinions Blair's known to hold. Likewise, Omega should be well into the Thatchersphere, but instead he's hanging with the politicians that make up Britain's Liberal Democratic Party, two words that make him revulse like a vampire to garlic.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heck, just by going through and clicking random answers I get:

Economic Left/Right: 0.41
Authoritarian/Libertarian: 0.16

Right about dead center.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did the test.
My results-
Economic Left/Right -2.04
Authoritan/Libertarian -5.60

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Societies with enough resources for their population would have no greed."

But this will never happen in a Taker culture The more resources there are, the greater the population, thus the more greed there is. It's all about locking up the food.

Time for everyone to go read "Ishmael" by Daniel Quinn. Follow it up with the sequels, "The Story Of B" & "My Ishmael," in that order.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shik
There is no answer to your response. For their to be an honest response, we would need to compare the societies of other worlds. (I am viewing our society as global with national and local variations.) Since this study hasn't occured, an opinion is constricted and fallible.

[ June 10, 2001: Message edited by: targetemployee ]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I'm exactly where I should be. I'm in the economic and personal freedom quadrant, but not horribly extreme along either axis. Basically, my quadrant is the minimal government power section, and my general region is the non-anarchist area of that quadrant.

This test needs a change in setup. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend." Well, maybe, maybe not. I need to tell how OFTEN I would agree, on a scale of one to ten. This is why I suck at multiple choice critical reading tests. I want to give essay answers.

Frank:

Societies with enough resources for their population would have no greed.

You don't know humanity very well, Frankie. There are people out there who want everything they can get their hands on, whether they need it or not.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Eclipse
Member # 472

- posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
I think I'm exactly where I should be. I'm in the economic and personal freedom quadrant, but not horribly extreme along either axis. Basically, my quadrant is the minimal government power section, and my general region is the non-anarchist area of that quadrant.

And on which planet, orbiting which star, in what sector, exactly, do you live?

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>"But I know damn well that First of Two should be considerably "southeast" of Blair based on the sort of opinions he's put forth on this forum"

Well, BLEAH! I answered every question as best I could with all honesty. (Although there should have been more questions, some should have been divided, some of the wording is questionable) "Children should be seen and not heard"... what kind of political question is that?, and perhaps there should have been a 'midroad' or 'undecided' category.

Personally, I expected to be closer to the lower-right quadrant, and _I_ suspect others of not answering entirely truthfully. But I shant name names.

Let's see, by my reading, the farther 'north' you are, the more you believe in government control over your personal life... the farther 'west' you are, the more you believe in government control over your economic life.'

Well, I suppose I should be about where I am... maybe a tad more to the 'east.'

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Shik: There is no answer to your response. For their to be an honest response, we would need to compare the societies of other worlds. (I am viewing our society as global with national and local variations.) Since this study hasn't occured, an opinion is constricted and fallible."

{sarcasm}Yes, because we ALL know the Taker culture is the ONLY ONE ON THE PLANET....!{/sarcasm}

Newsflash: I know it WANTS to be the only one in the world, but it's still failed to wipe out all the Leavers. Go talk to them about such things. You'll be surprised.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Economic Left/Right: 2.65
Authoritarian/Libertarian: -0.52

And I agree with Charles, There needs to be a middle ground for some of these. I think Business is as equally important as the artist.

--------------------
The Legend of Jeff Raven: As told by himself

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amazing! Someone who's actually in the same quadrant as me!

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"You don't know humanity very well, Frankie. There are people out there who want everything they can get their hands on, whether they need it or not."

Because, as I said, we live in a world without enough resources for its people.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps