Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » The Political Compass (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: The Political Compass
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it's because of an aspect of basic human nature called "greed". There will ALWAYS be greedy people, short of hunting them all down and killing them. It has nothing to do with where humanity lives, or under what conditions.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hence the need for genetic engineering
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"No, it's because of an aspect of basic human nature called "greed". There will ALWAYS be greedy people, short of hunting them all down and killing them. It has nothing to do with where humanity lives, or under what conditions."

I can think of a dozen cultures that have no concept of greed. Unsurprisingly, they're all Leaver cultures. Shocker that.

Greed is an aspect of basic human nature IN THE TAKER CULTURE. The culture that says, "Man was meant by God to rule the earth, it's all for us, so we'll do what we want, how we want, & let's start by locking up all the food."

Mother Culture has her voice in the lot of you. And to a certain extent, myself as well. But I'm working on that.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Looks like I'm the only one here that believes in economic freedom, eh?

No you don't. You freely admit to supporting tariffs. To someone who truly believes in "economic freedom," tariffs are not just a bad idea, they are a fundamentally evil one. Laissez-faire and all that?

< randroid >

The first and only human right is the right to engage in unrestricted trade with a fellow human being.

< /randroid >

And as long as this is the Flameboard, I'm going to go ahead and say that those Ishmael books have about as much to do with the real world and our real past as the Celestine Prophecy or Archie Comics.

That is going to get me into trouble, I'm afraid.

[ June 11, 2001: Message edited by: Sol System ]

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nah. But I'll glad take on the "wacko" role for that one, though.

Plus you might hit me with your "staff of smiting"...

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Children should be seen and not heard"

This question asks you if you agree whether or not Children should have a voice in matters. I put "Disagree" on that one (not "strongly" though, thought there were some possible exceptions for things that perhaps are out of their control).

I think Business is as equally important as the artist.

Me too. But the question asked you if you believe that the Businessman is MORE important than the artist. I put "Strongly Disagree" on that one.

No you don't. You freely admit to supporting tariffs. To someone who truly believes in "economic freedom," tariffs are not just a bad idea, they are a fundamentally evil one. Laissez-faire and all that?

Sol, you are a God......

[ June 11, 2001: Message edited by: Tahna Los ]

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol:

You freely admit to supporting tariffs.

Now, now, I only support tarrifs equal to the tarrifs imposed on our goods by other countries. If it's difficult to get our products to market in Mongolia, make it equally difficult to get their products to market here.

Yeah, I'm all for a totally free economy, but you have to make exceptions in dealings with economies that AREN'T free.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Saltah'na
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm...... I thought you were in the extreme on the Libertarian side, Omega. Looks like the majority is more "Libertarian" then you are.....

And yes, the test needs some fixing. I think the test is a very great innovation, needs different questions and a different format. Otherwise, this is a great way to gauge political opinions.

we can still see who thinks the same and who thinks differently...

I don't know. 1of2 and myself have a lot of different opinions and such, regarding taxes, and gun control. But we're very close on this scale here....

[ June 11, 2001: Message edited by: Tahna Los ]

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"'Children should be seen and not heard'

"This question asks you if you agree whether or not Children should have a voice in matters."

I don't think so. The question started w/ something like "when adults are entertaining". In other words, when a kid's parents are having a party, or something, should they dress the kid up and present him/her/it to all their friends, but the kid has to sit there and be quiet while the adults have their fun.

At least, that's the way I understood it...

Saltah'na
Member # 33

A party to me symbolizes a gathering to air opinions and such, like a public debate. I took it as such.

--------------------

MerloMo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! I ended up almost exact center:

Economic Left/Right: 1.02
Authoritarian/Libertarian: 0.05

But I guess I'd be slightly more to the right in American terms.

IP: Logged
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"A party to me symbolizes a gathering to air opinions and such, like a public debate."

I can just imagine the fun everyone had at your birthdays.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. We have our first person in the +/+ quadrant, even if just barely...
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Economic Left/Right: -3.67
Authoritarian/Libertarian: -7.33

another boring double negative...

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Saltah'na
Member # 33

I can just imagine the fun everyone had at your birthdays.

Yeah, if I had any..... damned parents.

--------------------

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps