Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Weird American Politics (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Weird American Politics
Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harry are you refering to this?

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?art_id=qw1023894901416B265&set_id=1&click_id=3&sf=

And this

http://www.expatica.com/index.asp?pad=2,18,&item_id=23081

I'm heading to The Netherlands in 4 weeks should I make sure I am wearing Canadian flags on my shirts? How pissed off are the Dutch?

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be united over your common heritage; your joint shitness in not getting into the World Cup.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the World Cup? Oh ya I remember that's where they play that very slow, boring version of hockey.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't Canada part of America? :-\

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Three-Nil, Three-Nil, Three-ee-Nil, Three-Nil. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. The "Dutch bill" was introduced way back in May of 2001. What, have they been snoozing for a year? Sounds to me like manufactured news .

2. The bill is languishing in committee, where it will likely remain until it dies, and good riddance to poorly-worded rubbish.

3. If Europe can make a stink about the death penalty to the point that they will not assist us by providing evidence necessary to the prosecution of a war criminal, why shouldn't we have our own principles we're prepared to stick to?

It's as if Europe says You can't prosecute our person your way -- but we can sure prosecute your person our way.

That's a special kind of arrogance, and you don't have to be Jesse Helms to get fed up with it.

[ June 15, 2002, 08:22: Message edited by: First of Two ]

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're not talking about procedure for prosecution, Rob, they're talking about a method of punishment that a lot of Americans agree is completely barbaric.
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam: I'd tell you to kiss my ass, but I'm afraid you might take me up on it.

[ June 15, 2002, 08:43: Message edited by: Cartman ]

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it me, or do World Cup matches seem like reenactments of wars past a lot?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by First of Two:

3. If Europe can make a stink about the death penalty to the point that they will not assist us by providing evidence necessary to the prosecution of a war criminal, why shouldn't we have our own principles we're prepared to stick to?

It's as if Europe says You can't prosecute our person your way -- but we can sure prosecute your person our way.

Well, is IS a "International Criminal Court" and not a "European Court" But the second part...does bring up an interesting point.
If Europe did support the death penalty, I wonder how much more violently, the US would react to its soldiers being on trial.

Wait a sec, are you saying that if Europe supported the death penalty, and gave the US evidence for prosecuting "war criminals" then it would be ok for them to prosecute US soldiers because their punishment standards would be the same as yours? I'm confused by your statement.

[ June 15, 2002, 09:59: Message edited by: Mucus ]

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait a sec, whyis the US in the business of prosecuting war criminals anyways?
How do they find impartial judges and juries in the US....that haven't ever heard of wars that the US has fought in? It doesn't seem very workable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: World Cup matches as war reenactments: Refresh my memory; which was the war where the U.S. was ground under by Poland? Poland!
Mucus
Member # 24

What? Poland is the global superpower? This is the wrong universe! Damn you Sliders! Damn you all to hell!
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Terrifying.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps