Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Weird American Politics (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Weird American Politics
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, Faklands War: No-one cares.
Maradona handball: We hate the fuckers.

So it's more as if wars are a reenactment of past football matches.

The US are playing Mexico tomorrow. Hmm...

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In an uncanny reversal of the general state of affairs whereby many Yanks have their cleaning done by Mexicans, I fully expect Mexico to wipe the floor with the USA team. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[/EXILE]remember the..um.. what was that building?[EXILE]
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
In an uncanny reversal of the general state of affairs whereby many Yanks have their cleaning done by Mexicans, I fully expect Mexico to wipe the floor with the USA team.
well, sir, you be t3h Wr0n6 [Big Grin]
IP: Logged
Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I sure was wrong there! The Mexicans performed extremely poorly. It was probably fixed. Not that it matters since (in theory) whoever went through would be beaten by Germany, but the way things are going in this World Cup (champions France, plus highly-rated teams like Argentina and Portugal going out at Group stage; Spain beating Ireland and Brazil beating Belgium mostly through sheer luck rather than talent) even that's no longer certain. . . 8)

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. Considering the way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if we beat Argentina and then lost to Japan...

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Lee
Member # 393

Brazil, Liam, Brazil. We beat Argentina already, you know, all that screaming outside your bedroom door about ten days back. 8)

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, I really like Arlington. It'd be cool if Maryland could annex Virginia and make it "Southern Maryland", but then West Virginia would have to change its name, 'cuz how could it be West Virginia if there was no Virginia to its east to be west of? It'd have to be Virginia. And then if Robert Lee came back as a ghost, he'd be mighty confused.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Argh! Brazil. Brain cramp.

I was stuck at my parents house for that. And the final ten minutes removed about 20% of what remains of my hairline.

Still, if we beat Brazil, then the rest of the competition on our side isn't too bad. The other top teams (Italy, Germany and Spain) are all in the other half, and either Italy or Germany have to be knocked out too.

--------------------

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

good luck getting past ronaldo.

[ June 17, 2002, 20:36: Message edited by: EdipisReks ]

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It shouldn't be a problem when he "injures" himself by touching the ball.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

touche'
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Brazil also display a bit of a tendancy to assume that they are in a Nike advert, when they should be playing properly.

And England have been showing the frankly worrying habit of playing like a professional football team.

Brazil may have the edge, but it's by no means a clear cut result.

--------------------

DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, let me call Lee on this one.

Now, as some of you know, I'm no patriot. My philosophy towards the ole Stars and Stripes is that I smoke solely so I can have a lighter to burn the damn thing at any time (for those of you intellectually challenged, that's called hyperbole).

But let me stand up for the USA (football suddenly makes me patriotic). Why is it that when we get into the Round of 8 we're lucky? Last time I checked, the rules of football were simple. The team with the most goals wins.

Oooh, Portugal didn't come out until the second half. Yes, and we came out for both. Thus, we won.

Oooh, Portugal deserved to advanced. Why? We beat them, we drew with South Korea (who beat them). They only beat Poland. Last time I checked, three points is less than four. We deserved to advance.

Oooh, Mexico played poorly. And we didn't. Thus, we won. And we EARNED it.

Football may always be a minor league sports in the states, and will NEVER be as important to us as helmet football. But whether you like it or not, US football is here this World Cup. Portugal learned that the hard way, and so did Mexico. They're lucky, sure, but they're also damn good.

We probably don't have a chance in hell against Germany, but we've still gotten farther this year than England did in 98, so maybe we can at least get some respect.

--------------------
"Don't leave the ladies crying cause the story's sad" Joe Walsh

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed. And Saudi Arabia got further this year than England in 1994.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps