Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Noooo, nooooooo, NOOOO!! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Noooo, nooooooo, NOOOO!!
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are, or rather there were: the law of natural selection, the theory of evolution, etc.

Its a pity that modern society has all but effectively repealed them.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We haven't repealed them, we're just not allowed to deselect them anymore. Instead, we're supposed to pity them and give them large sums of money to make up for their stupidity.

I always wanted, as a psychological experiment, to put a door somewhere with a sign "If You Open This Door You Will DIE" and count how many people open it.

Then kill them. [Razz]

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://flare.solareclipse.net/cgi2/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000719;p=3
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find it interesting that so many people came around to understanding the original coffee situation, but now they've gone right back to believing the urban legend version.

It could be different people though, I suppose. I'm not quite bored enough to see what names pop up on this and that thread.

Is this a good time to mention I'm getting compensation for being in a car accident?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Just out of curiousity though, how did the accident occur? More importantly: who caused it? [Razz]

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
There are, or rather there were: the law of natural selection, the theory of evolution, etc.

Ah, yes. I forgot about that wonderful site out there called the Darwin Awards. [Wink]

I guess I was never paying enough attention to the news after the court case was first finalized, but I never had heard about the reduction in damages to be paid. I'm glad to hear (even if it's years after the fact) that the jury didn't go completely overboard.

I'm more skeptical about the nature of the woman's injuries. Sure, the coffee was spilled on a "sensitive" part of the body -- but I presume she was wearing clothes at the time? That surely should have protected her in some way -- which is one of the reasons for clothing in the first place. [Roll Eyes]

And then there's the fact of placing a cup of scalding coffee between your legs anyway. I might've done that with my sodas for a short time (I don't drink coffee), but I've never driven for any period of time with my drink between my legs -- that's a silly place to keep your beverage while you're in a moving vehicle.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Is this a good time to mention I'm getting compensation for being in a car accident?

A perfect time. My car was unceremoniously & rather surprisingly repossessed this afternoon. Loan me �607.42, would you?

[ July 30, 2002, 12:46: Message edited by: Shik ]

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh*

quote:
The woman recieved such severe burns because:
A.) The coffee was quite hot.

B.) It quickly soaked into the polyester sort of pantsuit thing she was wearing, and was held close to the flesh.

C.) She was 78 (or 79), and couldn't get away from it.

quote:
we'd also have to forget that she was sitting in the passenger seat of an unmoving car

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As impressed as I am that you went to the trouble of finding the pound sign Shik, I'll have to say no. Mainly because, after a year and a half, I still haven't gotten any money.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Finding the pound sign AND converting the necessary American fundage requirements into that funny odd little system you people call money over there.

But it was worth a shot.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Sol. I'm sorry I didn't have time to read the entire multi-page thread before...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

And it's exactly that sort of thing that leads to the urban legend version of stuff like this being passed around as fact, which was the point of the original thread, Mr Man.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

I don't want to make this into my personal hot-button issue, though. Let's all just relax with a large order of mcnuggets and sodas. Mmm. Sort of.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

None for Tim though. He needs to lose weight.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shik: You should have asked for �607/8s/5d. Maybe then he'd've been fully impressed.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps