Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Noooo, nooooooo, NOOOO!! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Noooo, nooooooo, NOOOO!!
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only snag is that 42 pence is approximately equal to an even 5 shillings.

I out-Nixpick TEH M4ST0R!!!

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
His fat has made him sloppy.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A shilling is one twentieth of a pound. Forty-two one-hundredths of a pound would be eight-point-four twentieths of a pound. Hence, 8.4 shillings. And, in that system, a penny is one twelfth of a shilling. So, point-four shillings would be four-point-eight twelfths of a shilling. That's 4.8 pence, which I rounded to 5.
Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You learn something new every day.
Prismatic EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ThoughtPyminal:
You learn something new every day.

I certainly try not to. i didn't read the post that you are referring to. i skimmed it. therefore, i learned nothing. ha.  -
IP: Logged
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Shik: You should have asked for �607/8s/5d. Maybe then he'd've been fully impressed.

By using a monetary system that hasn't existed in my lifetime? Oh yes, impressive. *cough* Why don't you convert it into goats and eggs?

Tom is (shockingly) wrong though. As Tim pointed out, a shilling is either 12d (old money), or 5p (new money). Not that anyone says "shilling" anymore anyway.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somehow I crunched Tim's math and figured he'd set a shilling at 12 new pence, which is wrong, and then, through barely-logical means, I attempted to correct him. I'm, uh, not worthy and all that.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! Once again, I reign supreme! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA*cough*cough* Ow.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Calm down now.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Told ya you learn something new every day.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

Yeah. But in my case, at the expense of three months of built-up self-esteem.

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Tim is more of a man than you'll ever be.

Actually, he's more of a man than most of us will ever be. Quite literally.

Apart from Frank, maybe.

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surely Sol's much discussed, erh, attribute makes HIM more of a man than any of us could ever be?

[ August 01, 2002, 03:19: Message edited by: Colorful Cartman ]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Only in one area. Tim's more of an all-round sort of fellow.

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But! The area in question is generally regarded as the ultimate yardstick for determining the measure of a man, no? Therefore, Sol wins by a narrow margin. Nyah-nyah, and all that.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps