Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » STIII SE (Page 1)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11   
Author Topic: STIII SE
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just watched ST 3 special edition last night.

I've had some thoughts running around my head since then - and I'd like to put them down - I hope I can remember them all.

1. Was there anything 'cut' added back into the movie?

2. I noticed the end credits were redone.

3. I turned on the audio commentary just at the last scene - I went back and watched the end again - and interesting what Leonard says about what he wanted for Vulcan - would have been fantastic with some more money. That would have been great to see that entire pathway up to Mt. Selaya. And after he mentioned it I went back - and those women bearing Spock WERE floating him with their hands above him!!

4. I think this has one ripper soundtrack (but this was something I discovered several years ago when I bought the soundtrack (on LP!! 2nd hand).

5. Why didn't Uhura go with them to get Spock? Why did she go straight to Vulcan?

6. I noticed (probably because my brightness was turned up) than in scenes like of the Enterprise returning home, or the Grissom in orbit of Genesis that you can still see the matte lines around the ships - hello I would have thought this was something they would have removed?

7. Has anyone noticed that the Helm (on the left) on the Grissom is the same as the Yeoman? (standing next to Styles) on the Excelsior!?!

8. I've never noticed that the Excelsior bridge has the forward station split.

9. You can hear a lot of the announcents during the scene in the Admiral's lounge... on "Captain Styles" to report somewhere. And one for "Commander Chekov" to report somewhere - was he a Commander (at least Lt. Commander) in ST:III? I think he was.

10. The destruction of the Enterprise is still spectacular and very emotional. The looks on the crew's faces - I don't know - it seems heigtened on the DVD! [Smile]

11. One of the Vulcan guards looks human - i.e. his eyebrows aren't very distinctly Vulcan.

12. What was it like - for those of you who first saw it at the cinema and who had grown up on TOS - to see Sarek at the door?

13. I noticed that the 'preview' that is on the 2nd disc actually GIVES AWAY the destruction of the Enterprise.

14. That 'smarmy shit' who asks if they will have a welcome party - seems to be given a bit of a spot-light as if he is important. A couple of years back I though it was OJ Simpson!! [Smile] Of course it isn't - but still, I'm not guessing him to be a big cameo name... It's that same guy who plays the guy on the Ares. He also was in that crappy 80's version of Mission: Impossible (played the similar role to his father) I'm wondering if this is why he got the bit as Leonard Nimoy was in Mission: Impossible - with his father wasn't he. Can't remember his name, but he also plays Jakie what's his name - Kramer's lawyer on Seinfeld. I think he's also played a Klingon at one stage.

Uhura had a GREAT scene in the transporter room - and the looks on the others faces are priceless!

I wish we had more of this 'other character' stuff - the Sulu stuff is priceless - he just blasts the shit out of stuff - without a care! [Smile]

LOL!

15. They let the trainees off somewhere... where did they do this and why wouldn't they have gone all the way back to Earth? Probably had all their nerves shot to pieces and sent to the Tantalus V rehab colony! [Smile] Also they had to go back for the crew of the Reliant in ST:II - I guess THEY got off with the trainees.

16. Who is that bald-headed alien in the debriefing scene with Fleet Admiral Morrow? I mean what does he look like - I couldn't get a good glimse of his face - is he a TOS alien done up for the movies? Is he a TMP alien?

17. This movie is severely underrated. (really it and ST:II go together)

"You do this Kirk, you'll never sit in the Captain's chair again".

LOL! They should have got styles back in ST:IV to be in the council chambers for Kirks Demotion/Promotion! [Smile]

Also there is a few references to the 'galactic conference'. I would assume that this is the same conference that we see in Star Trek: IV. And that that isn't just a Federation Council meeting.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
5. I always thought Uhura had to try and cover Kirk & Co's tracks for as long as possible.

6. George Lucas is not involved in "Star Trek."

9. Yes. Chekov was a Lt. Commander in Star Trek II -- remember, he was Reliant's XO.

13. Previews have a disturbing tendancy to give away the film.

14. Yep. That's the guy.

15. They probably off-loaded the survivors of the Reliant onto a ship in better condition, especially given the medical care many of them probably would have needed. Same with most of the trainee cruise -- how many of those guys were killed or badly wounded? A lot. Starfleet also probably wanted to get them some psychological help -- you don't expect to see your classmates killed on a training mission!

17. Really, TWOK, TSFS, and TVH go together.

Is TVH coming out SE too? I hope so.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yes. Chekov was a Lt. Commander in Star Trek II
That's hardly possible since Fletcher hadn't designed a Lt. Cmdr. pin at that time.

The TVH SE will be released on March 4.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whatever. He was either a Lt. Commander or a Commander.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the bald alien was a new one. The only other alien it slightly resembles is one of Peter David's Excalibur crew (a Brikar or something).

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is obtained from the novelisation of Star Trek III.

1) The Enterprise never went to Celti Alpha V. Instead her trainee crew left on another ship. Another ship retrived the Reliant crew.

2) Uhura used her skills to prevent Starfleet from sending ships after the Enterprise. She was given protection by Ambassador Sarek and taken to Vulcan.

I hope this helps.

--------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, the phaser props were different between STII and STIII - with no time passing in between. However, since the STII phasers were seen being used by Starfleet later, it doesn't rule out them having two types in use simultaneously.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was nothing changed about the film other than an improved digital transfer for the DVD. This will be the case for the TVH and TFF DVDs as well.

As far as I know, there is only one deleted scene that exists for TSFS. In the scene where McCoy is speaking to Spock in the BoP's sickbay, they filmed a shot where after Bones is finished telling Spock that he's missed him and that he couldn't stand to loose him again, he looks around and Kirk is standing in the doorway behind him with a tear rolling down his cheek. Nimoy and Bennett cut this one shot because they felt that it should be a private moment between Spock and McCoy, and that having Kirk there listening wasn't apprpriate.

Nimoy is referred to as an "economic" director because he doesn't like to film anything that isn't going to get used in the final film. So there's very little in the way of deleted scenes from his two Trek films.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the answers.

I hope they interview the Motor-cycle cop for the The Voyage Home! LOL! Supposedly he didn't know what was going on. He was just a cop on the street.

Also, what does Chekov say to Scotty in Russian?

ALSO, another name I heard in the Admiral's lounge was (Commander?) West - now can a Colonel be a Commander - i.e. are their Commanders in the Army??/Whatever the hell Colonel West was??

--------------------

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Revealed in the commentary, Chekov says, "I'm not crazy!" in Russian as he points to the status alert about the doors to Spock's quarters being opened.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Andrew,

IIRC, Colonel West was in Star Trek VI.

In the US military, the rank of Lt. Colonel corrosponds to the rank of Commander, and the rank of Colonel to Captain. This is how Marine ranks translate to their Naval equivilants.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Yes, but a 'West' was heard over the Admiral Lounge's loudspeakers, along with Chekov and Styles.

It wasn't Colonel West - maybe it was - but I'm sure it was Commander or something.

Andrew

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
[QB]I hope they interview the Motor-cycle cop for the The Voyage Home! LOL! Supposedly he didn't know what was going on. He was just a cop on the street.

Also, what does Chekov say to Scotty in Russian?

Actually, the cop was doing security for the movie while they were filming, so he did know what was going on. However, the scene in question was indeed done in a sort of "candid camera" fashion to some extent. (Nimoy talks about this in his book I Am Spock.) He kind of just laid in the back of the truck with the camera so it wasn't very noticeable and filmed the reactions of passers-by to Nichols and Koenig's antics. In particular, the dark-haired woman who says "Oooh...I don't know if I know the answer to that...I think it's across the bay...in Alameda..." was just a person who walked by on the street, but they thought she was so great that they later tracked her down and worked out a contract so they could pay her for the performance.

And, according to Mike Okuda's text commentary, Chekov says (approximately) "I'm not crazy! There it is!" to Scotty when he points wildly at the screen blip.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Ahhh ok, I read where the woman AND the cop (if he's security - hang on is that a security uniform or the uniform of San Fran cops?).

I thought too it was bizarre that the 'cop' was just sorta staring at them.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Oh something else I saw when looking through the 'extras' disc. The 'study model'? of The Oberth "U.S.S. Grissom" is labelled the Valiant!

Oh and did anyone else realise Bill George was so (relatively) young??

I mean this is 18 years ago - at the youngest he was - what 25?

[ January 26, 2003, 03:42 AM: Message edited by: AndrewR ]

--------------------

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps