Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » STIII SE (Page 4)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  9  10  11   
Author Topic: STIII SE
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kirk's retirement is a matter of some interpretation. In the Nexus, he relives the events that precede his first death by nine years, and talks about "returning to Starfleet". This would mean he came back from retirement just a smidgen before ST2 (unless the Romulan Ale date in that movie was some sort of a joke, and unless all other TOS movie dating is really skewered).

However, the word "retirement" is never really uttered in the scene. Kirk could have been in active service, and merely on weekend leave to see Antonia - and instead of saying "Okay, that was fun, be seeing you, Sarah... Uh, Marie... I mean, Antonia" he now plans to say "To hell with Starfleet, I think I will retire now!"

Conversely, "Generations" explicitly confirms Kirk is retired during the launch of the E-B. By Scotty's words, "Finding retirement a wee bit lonely, now are we?" Or something like that.

In any case, a retirement period before ST2 cuts down on the credibility of a second 5-yr mission at that slot (especially if ST:TMP is pushed even further back from the current 2273 date to 2275 or something). And while a mission between ST5 and ST6 is a possibility, we hear that our heroes apart from Kirk have lost track of Sulu's whereabouts. And Sulu has been on assignment for *three fricking years*! If the rest of the Kirk bunch were on a joint mission prior to ST6, it must have terminated and the crew must have scattered before Sulu sailed out. Which means the mission can't readily have been a five-year one.

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you can have 3 and 5 year missions? I might post my rough - timeline I posted to aus.sf.star-trek for a newbie who didn't/wanted to know the time between Enterprise and TNG.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a little timeline

2003 �--- you are here

2063 �---- Zephram Cochrane and first Human Warp flight (First
Contact)

2151 �---- NX-01 Enterprise launched under the command of Captain Jonathon Archer

((around this time was the Earth-Romulan war.))

2161 �----- Federation Founded with found members that included at least Humans, Vulcans, Andorians and Tellarites.

2255 events of "The Cage" (11 years before 2266)

2264 � Captain Pike at end of his 2nd 5 year mission on the Enterprise
2265�---- Enterprise Captained by James T. Kirk's 5 year mission commences (not RIGHT at the start of the year presumably.)
2266 most of TOS season 1 except probably "Where No Man Has Gone Before" and a few others.
2267 TOS season 2
2268 TOS season 3
2269 TAS season 1 and 2

2270�---- Kirk's 1st 5 year mission ends (mentioned by Icheb in Voyager)

2272�----- The events of Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Kirk not logged a single Star Hour in 2 and a half years - Will Decker)

((possible 2nd 5 year mission before Enterprise used as a Cadet
training ship.))

2283�----- Events of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn (roughly 15 years
after Space Seed
2283�---- Events of Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
2283�---- Events of Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
2283�---- Events of Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

((possibly another 2, five year missions))

2293�---- Events of Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
2293�---- Events of Star Trek Generations and the Enterprise B (78 Years before 2371)

2344 Enterprise 1701-C destroyed defending the Klingon outpost on
Nerendra III (Yesterday's Enterprise)

2364 Enterprise 1701-D commissoned (Galaxy Class) TNG season 1
2365 TNG season 2
2366 TNG season 3
2367 TNG season 4
2368 TNG season 5
2369 TNG season 6/DS9 season 1
2370 TNG season 7/DS9 season 2
2371 Star Trek: Generations/DS9 season 3/Voyager season 1
2372 DS9 season 4/Voyager season 2
2373 DS9 season 5/Voyager season 3/Star Trek: First Contact
2374 DS9 season 6/Voyager season 4
2375 DS9 season 7/Voyager season 5/Star Trek: Insurrection
2376 Voyager season 6
2377 Voyager season 7
2378 Star Trek: Nemesis

--------------------

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Enterprise -D was commissioned at the end of the previous year, on October 4, 2363. "Encounter at Farpoint" would've happened in February, 2364.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the founding members of the federation are purely conjectural at this point.. its just as likely that andor will be at war with vulcan until they make peace in 2213, or whatever..

BTW, TWOK probably shouldn't take place in 2283.. if that was the year on the ale bottle, then wouldn't Kirk have said 'this year?' instead of repeating the name of the year.. i'd place TWOK in 2284 or 5

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

But it actually BEING 2283 - makes the joke more funny, and him being more sarcastic.

--------------------

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
But it actually BEING 2283 - makes the joke more funny, and him being more sarcastic.

Agreed. Plus placing TWOK at a later year undermines Kirk's and Khan's 15 years since "Space Seed" dialogue.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's an old argument, but really: this was Romulan ale, straight from the border. You think the Romulans are printing Earth dates on their bottles? Even the Federation at large doesn't often use Earth dates, they use stardates. English may be the standard language, but stardates are the standard dates. There is no logical reason for that to be an Earth date, and 2283 happens to line up very nicely with the idea that the Romulan exodus from Vulcan was about 2000 years ago. If Romulus is M-class and orbits a star similar to Sol, it should have roughly the same year length as Earth. It fits perfectly.

In other words, TWoK could be 2283, it could be 2287, it is inconsequential with regards to the date on the bottle.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing is, though, what was the intention of the filmmakers in this case? Not that that's the end of the issue, but it would be nice to know. Unfortunately, I don't think either Okuda or Meyer makes any mention of the bottle in their respective commentaries, their attention being instead directed towards the reediting that scene received for the DVD.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it was supposed to be an Earth year. Maybe whoever imported it put a translation on the bottle. And McCoy's "it takes a while" joke seems facetious: something not unlike in the Three Stooges shorts when they would show a bottle of "Old Panther - distilled yesterday".
SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took "2283" as the calendar year, and that by WOK in 2285 the Romulan Ale would've been two years old. However, it could alos be that the bottle was marked with a Stardate and Stardate 2283 would've put the drink back at the time of TOS, in which case "It takes this stuff a while to ferment" means that many years have passed.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aha! Then maybe, just maybe, the "2283" represents the date the stuff is ready - and maybe even, more importantly, safe - to drink! Not that you'd think Romulan Ale smugglers would concern themselves with correct food labelling, but then it wouldn't help if your entire customer base either died or went blind or something. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i can't believe we are having this discussion.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't believe there is a 11 year gap between TMP and TWOK.....and Uhura is still moldering away in that chair!
She must have a hell of a ass groove by STVI!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

capped
Member # 709

i must point out that her chair was destroyed over Genesis, forcing the creation of a new ass groove for the 1701-A. and the reupholstered often.

anywho, i dont have any big issues with the Okudachron, except of course Q2 placing TMP a year later in 2372 and maybe tweaking TWOK into 2284, and TSFS and TVH accordingly (since they were mere weeks and months apart).

BTW i just noticed a huge mistake in my movie era time estimates, in TUC spock says praxis exploded 'two months ago' at the briefing scene, yet in 'Flashback' it was only a few days after. So the mistake is that they made the episode 'Flashback' because it was awful.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps