Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » STIII SE (Page 7)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: STIII SE
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Probert is a personal acquaintance of his. They became friends while working on a video game project some years ago, IIRC.
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
quote:
Originally posted by MrNeutron:
Yeah, I asked Andy about it...but either he's forgotten, or he hasn't found it. I have to call him later tonight so I'll try to remember to ask about it.

Hey hey whoa, being that I am new and this comment raised an eyebrow, just who exactly are you to get a phone number like that and how?
Connections...my boy, it's all about connections...

Actually, I have been friends with Andy Probert since the mid 90s, and I've been to his home a number of times when he lived in the San Francisco area. I've even worn his Cylon helmet. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And if you have a DVD player that can play that scene in reverse, you hear Gene Roddenberry saying "Spock is dead." Eerie.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the reversed DVD says 'Enterprise Class' [Wink]

No, about the Entente - when I watched my DVD of it - I wasn't really doing the whole 'listening for minutiae thing' cause I was actually watching the movie - but I'm pretty sure I caught 'Entente' out compared to the other's you've mentioned here.

Why'd they cut the Computer desiphering the Klingon message? I.K.C. Amar (in that really nasally American accent). Majel didn't do that did she?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
I thought the reversed DVD says 'Enterprise Class' [Wink]

Why'd they cut the Computer desiphering the Klingon message? I.K.C. Amar (in that really nasally American accent). Majel didn't do that did she?

I thought I either read or heard it in a documentary that it was cut because Wise (most likely) didnt want it to look like we were "spying" on the Klingons...just that we were "observing" the Klingons.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:

I suspect it was cut as part of the general tightening, and that what the Klingons were saying wasn't that important, as we could tell what was going on from the scenes we just saw.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

MrNeutron
Member # 524

quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
Mr. Probert is a personal acquaintance of his. They became friends while working on a video game project some years ago, IIRC.

Well, actually, I called Rick Sternbach and asked him how to reach Andy, as I thought he'd be perfect for a game project I was working on, but that fell through, but Andy and I kept talking and the rest, as they say, is history.

How I had Rick Sternbach's number is another issue entirely. [Wink]

--------------------

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This may or may not be relavent, but since the Trek forums have been slow with updates and new ideas this week, I thought I would resurrect this:

quote:
Originally posted by Snay:

IIRC, Colonel West was in Star Trek VI.

In the US military, the rank of Lt. Colonel corrosponds to the rank of Commander, and the rank of Colonel to Captain. This is how Marine ranks translate to their Naval equivilants.

Now, I am unsure how accurate/canon this may be, but I was scouring around the IMDB, and was reading up on some of the 'trivia' for TOS and came across this:

"Gene Roddenberry once hypothesized that the Enterprise carried a platoon of Starfleet Marines, but they never appeared onscreen in the original series. The Starfleet Marines would eventually make an appearance, but not until Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991) and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" (1993)"

Take this as you best see fit, but this does at least suggest, if not, verify that Colonel West was part of Starfleet Marines. I am not sure where the DS9 reference fits into this, unless someone confused this with the Bajoran ranking system....

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Nor the Battle to the Strong" - that guy Jake encountered. Was he a Starfleet "Marine"?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Impossible to tell based on his rank only, as he was a Lieutenant - a rank present both in navy and army terminology.

In other instances, we've seen ground forces led by a Captain (again both an army and a navy rank) and a Commander (navy only). We've never heard of an army-specific rank again after Colonel West, although one would have expected a few Sergeants at least in "Siege of AR-588"...

It could very well be that Starfleet Marines carry naval ranks, and aren't a separate service branch or sub-branch like US Marines.

And while we're speculating, we could just as well claim that West's full rank and name was Rear Admiral Mortimer Cornel-West, and we just misunderstood...

Timo Saloniemi

o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed! In the radio chatter of STTMP, approx. at 7:25, there is the message �USS xxx NCC-1715�! The registry is very clear. But you can hear that piece only on the right front speaker. The name of the ship, on the other hand is, at least for me, not recognizable. But I don�t think that it is the Merrimack, because that particular name is to long for the gab between �USS� and �NCC�.

Does anybody have better ears out there?

MrNeutron
Member # 524

quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
This may or may not be relavent, but since the Trek forums have been slow with updates and new ideas this week, I thought I would resurrect this:

quote:
Originally posted by Snay:

IIRC, Colonel West was in Star Trek VI.

In the US military, the rank of Lt. Colonel corrosponds to the rank of Commander, and the rank of Colonel to Captain. This is how Marine ranks translate to their Naval equivilants.

I have and always will suspect that "Colonel" West is a joke...they're playing on Lt. Colonel Oliver North of Iran-Contra infamy, and nothing more. They're both Colonels, and they're both cardinal directions (North and West).

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by o2:
Indeed! In the radio chatter of STTMP, approx. at 7:25, there is the message �USS xxx NCC-1715�! The registry is very clear. But you can hear that piece only on the right front speaker. The name of the ship, on the other hand is, at least for me, not recognizable. But I don�t think that it is the Merrimack, because that particular name is to long for the gab between �USS� and �NCC�.

Does anybody have better ears out there?

The names and numbers of the ships mentioned in the comm chatter are all from the Star Fleet Technical Manual. NCC-1715 matches to the Merrimac(k).

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe this helps a little bit.
SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Spike! That did it. And the Merrimack IS explicitly referenced there. My friends and I were able to decipher the chatter from your MP3 file. Here's what we picked out of the comm noise:

Muffled Voice: "Epsilon IX"

Female Voice: "Epsilon IX, this is long-range shuttle 'Venture'. Please advise USS Merrimack NCC-1715 that we are delaying the mission a few hours due to problems that will be explained upon our arrival."

Male Voice: "Recieved and understood."

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps