Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » STIII SE (Page 2)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11   
Author Topic: STIII SE
Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Oh something else I saw when looking through the 'extras' disc. The 'study model'? of The Oberth "U.S.S. Grissom" is labelled the Valiant!

I noticed that too. I'm pretty sure it was the actual studio miniature proper. I took it as proof that the Oberth in Generations was indeed labelled Valiant.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
In the US military, the rank of Lt. Colonel corrosponds to the rank of Commander, and the rank of Colonel to Captain. This is how Marine ranks translate to their Naval equivilants
So presumeably that would make Colonel West a Marine. Were there any uniform differences between him and a regular fleet officer?

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since they hadn't had enough money for new uniforms, West wore the uniform of a Vice Admiral.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not just how Marine ranks translate, it's also how Army and Air Force ranks translate as well. The nonmaritime services have one naming set for their ranks while the maritime utilize another.

Also, while the nonmaritime services don't have a rank of commander per se, those with commands in those services are still sometimes referred to as Commander, as in the commander of whatever unit they lead. Although referring to Colonel (Major at this point?) West in that sort of environment would be awfully confusing.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps "Colonel" is a nickname given to West, just like Odo's called a "Constable".

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where is this Valiant pic? Can someone make a cap?
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That Rene, always getting nicknames... [Smile]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dax:
I noticed that too. I'm pretty sure it was the actual studio miniature proper. I took it as proof that the Oberth in Generations was indeed labelled Valiant.

I hope that wasn't the 'proof of the Generations Valiant reference. That is DEFINITELY NOT the filming miniature of the Grissom! The word Valiant is off to the side, not in the front of the ship. The details on the model are totally wrong, especially the two bluish crystals behind the saucer.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Perhaps "Colonel" is a nickname given to West, just like Odo's called a "Constable".

He did seem to be head of Starfleet's commando division. It's not impossible that everyone calls him "Colonel" as nickname if he's in charge of the ground troops, and given that he wore a vice admiral's pin, he's almost certainly within the normal rank structure.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I've just found the featurette on the DVD and that is definitely a study model and not the actual finished product.

So, was this the alleged studio model pic that people claimed must have been the ship in Generations? Because if it is, then they were totally wrong. And where'd they get the NCC-20000 from? There's no number on that prototype maquette.

Or did they later label the actual studio model Valiant with the NCC-20000 for GEN, and the fact that the name was also on the old STIII study is just a coincidence?

Someone who remembers actually seeing the ILM "Movie Magic" documentary, tell us please?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I had another look and that's not the final Oberth miniature after all. The first time I watched the featurette, on seeing the Valiant name I immediately connected it with the Generations story. Looks like that was a mistake. [Embarrassed]

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Revanche
Member # 953

- posted      Profile for Revanche     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he meant that it was an actual cop, on rent-a-cop duty.
Love can sweep you off your feet and carry you along in a way you've never known before. But the ride always ends, and you end up feeling lonely and bitter. Wait. It's not love I'm describing. I'm thinking of a monorail.
- Jack Handey

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Since they hadn't had enough money for new uniforms, West wore the uniform of a Vice Admiral.

it would have been so goddamn easy for them to either
1)give him a captain pin/uniform and call him 'colonel', establishing he was a starfleet marine of a rank equivalent to naval captain.
2)give him the admiral pin and uniform, and call him 'general', establishing he was a Starfleet marine of a rank equivalent to naval admiral.

just a thought.. Kirk got away with a grade reduction, in the years between TMP and TWOK, he commanded the Enterprise as an admiral, but was referred to as captain (probably more due to naval parlance, his position as ship's skipper).. perhaps this could hold true for Fleet infantry, calling a General 'Colonel' because he was taking charge of a force that would normally be commanded by a colonel? its a stretch.

made more difficult by the fact that Kirk went ahead and wore a captain's insignia in TMP, giving himself a grade reduction (and doing the same to Decker, down to commander).. BTW, another thought, why he thought it necessary to do that to Will? since in ST:V and VI Kirk was a Captain and his executive, Spock, was also a Captain.. I guess Kirk just liked picking on Decker and demoted him accordingly.

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It's not just how Marine ranks translate, it's also how Army and Air Force ranks translate as well. The nonmaritime services have one naming set for their ranks while the maritime utilize another.
Well, they do in the US forces. The RAF have their own ranks; Lt. Col./Commander is equivilent to a Wing Commander.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but they don't matter.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps