Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » John Harriman: Competant Commander or Bumbling Idiot? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: John Harriman: Competant Commander or Bumbling Idiot?
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen some gripes at Captain Harriman every now and then, and I was wondering what everyone's opinion of Harriman is?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that he (& possibly Larry Styles) are merely shakedown commanders. They handle the ship & crew for the cruise to work out the bugs & then get reassigned to a new ship as a more experienced field commander takes official command.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I say he's pretty bumbling. Remember when he destroyed that Ferrari?
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL, UM! [Smile]

Not only that, but he had absolutley no clue how to handle a situation, to the point where he wasn't even prepared to take risk and initiative -- he needed Kirk to tell him what to do.

I not only can't imagine him being the full Captain of the ship, but I can't even believe that the guy managed to get promoted so far.

However, at the same time, it wouldn't make too much sense to have a shakedown commanding officer different from the normal commanding officer -- especially because most officers present seemed to be part of the normal crew -- I'm thinking mainly of Demora Sulu here.

I prefer to take the "Series ?" route here -- he didn't STAY stupid. [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that Harriman was a very competant commander. The E-B was obviously his first command, and he didn't quite know how to handle this emergency. He didn't expect anything to happen, especially seeing as where his ship wasn't even fully equipped. All the pausing and thinking he did was probably him trying to figure out what he could do with what little he had. Kirk was there, he figured a little help wouldn't hurt.

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't see that, though. Why give an inexperienced first-time commander the Enterprise? That's like saying, "well, I know you've only been mayor for a week, but hey! How'd y'like to run the nation! Here!"

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Did Kirk have a command before the Enterprise?

--------------------

Shik
Member # 343

Yeah, wasn't the original backstory that he'd been hero at the Battle of Ghioghe & commanded a couple of destroyers at first? The Lydia & the Sutherland, both the names of Hornblower's ships.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I might be wrong, but isn't it a pretty much foregone conclusion that Spock's first (and, well, only) command was the Enterprise?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Harriman was competent and could have handled the situation better if Kirk (likely his idol) was not right fucking there to take over!
If your first assignment on your new ship was a rescue mission where you had zero available resources and you have two of the fleet's most experienced captains and Engineer on board(and on your bridge) he would have been remiss not to have asked their help.

That being said, I do think the director should have gone for a "more frustrated" and less "bumbling" performance in this case. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Middy Seafort
Member # 951

- posted      Profile for Middy Seafort     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
Yeah, wasn't the original backstory that he'd been hero at the Battle of Ghioghe & commanded a couple of destroyers at first? The Lydia & the Sutherland, both the names of Hornblower's ships.

Actually, that backstory is from the novel "Enterprise: First Adventure" by Vonda N. McIntyre (though given Roddenberry's blessing before the Pocket Books restrainment). In that backstory, Kirk was in command of the Lydia Sutherland, which was one ship not two seperate vessels.

There are some backstories that place Kirk in command of the Saladin before the [I]Enterprise[/I, most notably in an issue of the Marvel "Star Trek" comics and the first DC "Star Trek" Annual. This command is also listed in the "Star Trek II: Biographies" by William Rotsler.

IIRC, it was never mentioned on screen what, if any, Kirk's first command or command before "Enterprise" was.

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The whole idea that you can get to the rank of captain before you get your first command is ludicrous, as is Trek's seemingly ironclad rule that every starship commander has captain's rank. Given the time and training it takes to reach that rank, it makes no sense to have him or her commanding the U.S.S. Puddle Jumper on its Earth-Vulcan mail run. I've believed this clear back to STIII; I thought Esteban should have been a Lt. Commander (Commander, max), given Grissom's size and mission.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But consider that Genesis was the most important planet in the galaxy at the time.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And that we have indeed seen Officers with ranks lower than Captain command Starships if only for brief stints Spock, Scotty, Dax, Data, Riker, Worf; and then there's the Captain of the Prometheus (NCC-71201) who was a Lieutenant Commander.

If I recall correctly wasn't the Enterprise going to be Decker's first command too? Then there is Picard taking command of the Stargazer...

As for Harriman, I agree that allot of his anxiety was due to his childhood idol milling around his bridge giving him funny looks.
It might also be worth considering that he was chosen for this shakedown cruise for his "photogenic" nature, looking at how well he handled the press it looked like his last job might have been as a public relations officer.
Perhaps he pulled some strings to get assigned to The Enterprise and fulfil some childhood dream. [Wink]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
and then there's the Captain of the Prometheus (NCC-71201) who was a Lieutenant Commander.

Lieutenant Junior Grade by his pips.

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps