Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » John Harriman: Competant Commander or Bumbling Idiot? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: John Harriman: Competant Commander or Bumbling Idiot?
Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SoundEffect:
'USS Melbourne' was not legible in the show at all during BoBW II.

But wasn't it a Nebula Class on the screen when Shelby said "Melbourne"?

I also think it makes more sense, considering he had already been offered and turned down the Drake and the Aries, for Starfleet to try to tempt him with a big ship.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were so many burned out hulks floating across the monitor, that Shelby could very well have been identifying one *behind* a closer one, and instead of saying "oh, that's the Melbourne behind the Pizza Hutt..."

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Darkwing
Member # 834

- posted      Profile for Darkwing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:

And just to throw another monkey wrench into the argument, the US Navy does indeed employ two
command ships
even today. Don't know how much practical use they really are, though.

Also: http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/factfile/ships/ship-lcc.html

Having served on the Blue Bitch for two years, I can say that Building 19 ((LCC-19), or Largest Cleaning Crew) was a floating office building for a bloated staff that did little useful, and that aside from the offices and comm facilities, the rest of us would have been more useful to the service on real ships (like my first two commands, an ammo ship and a DDG).

Better, IMO, to just give the admiral and his staff space on a carrier, which is a ship that actually does something, and has the psace to let the staff do their job with no significant drain on shipboard resources.

--------------------
Darkwing
If you don't drink the kool-aid, you're a *baaad* person - Rev Jim Jones
It is useless for sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while wolves remain of a different opinion - William Ralph Inge
Almond kool-aid, anyone? - DW
[email protected]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
[QUOTE] I don't blame him for being nervous, what with three senior Captains on his bridge...

Two senior captains. Unless Pavel had been promoted and I missed it.

quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix:
But wasn't it a Nebula Class on the screen when Shelby said "Melbourne"?

IIRC, the camera had cut away from Shelby after she said the second ship name (which I have chickened out of trying to spell), and was either on Shelby or Riker.

Also, the ships on the viewscreen were hardly clear. Even if there was just the Nebula model, it wasn't especially easy to identify.

God, I hate this topic. But...

Did Hanson or anyone ever say that his flagship was the Melbourne? I assumed (for some reason) that he was probably still on the ship he met up with the Enterprise on. Which could have been the Melbourne. Or not.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:

Well, there was that mention by Walter that he got a couple of the reporter actors to call out for "Captain Chekov", but he was visibly seen still wearing his commander's bars, so...

Why is it, though, that Pavel never became Sulu's XO? Or that Uhura went into command? You'd think either of those would be plausible. Ah, well.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I read something that Chekov was Sulu's original XO, but had nightmares about his last experience as XO aboard the Reliant or something.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
assembling some fandom references from the post Generations Trek has Kirk being dead, of course, Scotty disappearing, McCoy we know becomes Admiral of SF Med.

according to the authors of those Vulcans Forge books, which were decent reads, Spock briefly commanded an Intrepid (not the Excelsior-class one, one before it) with Uhura as his exec for a few special missions.. then he became an Ambassador later, and Uhura supposedly became the a higher-up of information control at Starfleet Intelligence, with the rank of Captain although she was not a starship commander..

according to our good friends Gar and Judith "Call us William S." Reeves-Stevens, Chekov became a starship commander, of the Cydonia and later the Potemkin, before becoming an admiral who would serve as commander in chief. (one reference from one of their latest William Shatner novels states that he is still in that position as of the dominion war, which i find laughable)

Sulu commanded the Excelsior for a long time, especailly with the Voyager writer's confusing and extremely frightful Captain Sulu reference

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Could've been Demora Sulu.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the line specifically stated that the Captain Sulu in question was a 'he'.. for a while i think that people were like 'oh its his grandson' but then after a while i think it wormed into everyones heads that they wanted it to be actually him.. ill check what they did with it in the last encyclopedia..
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

IIRC, the camera had cut away from Shelby after she said the second ship name (which I have chickened out of trying to spell), and was either on Shelby or Riker.

Also, the ships on the viewscreen were hardly clear. Even if there was just the Nebula model, it wasn't especially easy to identify.

God, I hate this topic. But...

Did Hanson or anyone ever say that his flagship was the Melbourne? I assumed (for some reason) that he was probably still on the ship he met up with the Enterprise on. Which could have been the Melbourne. Or not.

I totally agree with this. As well, I also always thought that that ship that hanson made the rendezvous with E-D was the melbourne all along. The same can be said with Nechayev in 'descent, pt1' and the Gorkon being the excelsior she arrived on (unlike some ppls belief that that was the cairo again), also thought the gorkon was again used as her ship in 'preemptive strike'.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Middy Seafort
Member # 951

- posted      Profile for Middy Seafort     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
quote:

Well, there was that mention by Walter that he got a couple of the reporter actors to call out for "Captain Chekov", but he was visibly seen still wearing his commander's bars, so...

Why is it, though, that Pavel never became Sulu's XO? Or that Uhura went into command? You'd think either of those would be plausible. Ah, well.

If memory serves, wasn't there also a customing problem that occured with Chekov's alleged Captain's bars? I remember that the story went that Chekov was intended to be a Captain, but the customing department only found three movie-era bars, which got used for Kirk, Scotty and Harriman.

RE: Uhura and Chekov Commands
One of the Strange New Worlds stories, the name of which escapes me, had Uhura in command of the USS Hermes that was assigned to help Carol Marcus with her terraforming of Pacifica. The story also featured Gillian Taylor as a Cetacean advisor.

The excellent Orion Press fanzine actually has stories that have Chekov replace Harriman as Captain of the Enterprise-B with Saavik as his tac officer and Peter Kirk, Jim's nephew, as an assistant science officer.

capped
Member # 709

Kyushu. It's one of the islands that makes up Japan.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The excellent Orion Press fanzine actually has stories that have Chekov replace Harriman as Captain of the Enterprise-B with Saavik as his tac officer and Peter Kirk, Jim's nephew, as an assistant science officer. [/QB]
Groan. [Roll Eyes]

The DS9 books have stated that a voung Ensign vaugn served on the Enterprise B under Captain Harriman during some kind of big disaster that was traumatic and a factor in vaugn's becomeing a floating tactical operative.
I hope they eventually tell that entire story as it makes Harriman out to be a good captain.
[Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Middy Seafort
Member # 951

- posted      Profile for Middy Seafort     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
quote:
The excellent Orion Press fanzine actually has stories that have Chekov replace Harriman as Captain of the Enterprise-B with Saavik as his tac officer and Peter Kirk, Jim's nephew, as an assistant science officer.

Groan. [Roll Eyes]

The DS9 books have stated that a voung Ensign vaugn served on the Enterprise B under Captain Harriman during some kind of big disaster that was traumatic and a factor in vaugn's becomeing a floating tactical operative.
I hope they eventually tell that entire story as it makes Harriman out to be a good captain.
[Wink] [/QB]

I believe that story will be told in one of the new Lost Era books, which focuses on the E-B and the Tomed Incident.

By and by, I don't object to Harriman. In fact, I found him to be a quite capable commanding officer in the "Captain's Daughter." I think he got a bum deal in "Generations."

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harriman's part in Captains Daughter was the best part of the book: putting Chekov in his place was cool.
Any clue when the "Lost" books come out?
Got a link mabye?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps