Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Borg History using Species Numbers (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Borg History using Species Numbers
David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ROFLMHO, you think the Borg's numbering system is chronological? You forgot that, somewhere along the way, they assimilated a human, who passed along his/her cultural uniqueness to the Collective.

The Collective still recalls that terrifyingly illogical day, when the Starfleet's starship registery numbering scheme entered their collective consciousness. After that event, 2's just doesn't follow 1's anymore.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David Templar:
You forgot that, somewhere along the way, they assimilated a human, who passed along his/her cultural uniqueness to the Collective.

What'chu talking about, Willis?

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
I don't see how hard it is to believe that a few Ferengi paid their way off Ferenginar and got into mischef and ended up in the Delta Quadrant assimilated by the Borg.

Maybe it's a scale of usefulness - Ferengi and Kazon low? Human higher?

Ugh...dude, sometimes I wonder about you....

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHAT!?!

I did say I was pushing for answers.

What if a Q decided to put a Ferengi on Borg Planet #42 just for fun.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

...and all i am saying is that despite how much i applaud MinutiaeMan's effort, there comes a time that we have to face the facts there there is no plausable solution to it.

Granted TPTB may have tried to make the species designations chronological in the beginning (same goes for registries and stardates), but that, like the rest of Voyager they eventually screwed up...notably in the cases of "The Omega Directive", the Ferengi, the order with Humans fall into the sequence...and so forth.

I can see how it makes sense the Vulcans being assimilated before the Humans and Species 10026 being the most recent additions (and highest number since 8472), but otherwise they just really fucked up a system that they probably intended to make chronological, I just dont think there is any way to resolve it, so it will just have to go on not making sense, as it doesnt have to. [Big Grin]

As for the "scale of usefulness"....I think that is pretty much self explainatory...just read the info in Bernd's page and most of the "usefulness" quoted does not quite fall in any particular order either....

--------------------

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
To totally fudge up to whole system, the damn Ferengi are designated as species 180...

I found that too in my old notes. Does anyone know which episode it comes from?

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

Well...according the the official website this is the jist on the Ferengi:

quote:
SPECIES 180

The Ferengi. It is not known why the Ferengi, an Alpha Quadrant race, has such a low species number, which would imply that they were encountered and catalogued very early in the Borg's existence.

Reference: "Infinite Regress"

Which I don't buy....

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stranger things have happend.
A giant amoeba for example...a talking, shapeshifting cat...or those doors that are always telling people to be quite.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So this must come from one of Seven's bright moments in the episode - when she identified one of her identities. Or was she confused and meant to say "Species 5180"?

Anyway, I agree that stranger things have happened -- and we know how likely Ferengi are to end up in a wormhole.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or some Ferengi in the 24th century's future was stuffing around with space AND time!

Actually an interesting/funny fanfic could be made out of that one little bit of continuity wierdness.

The last scene a Ferengi's 29th century stolen time-ship ends up in 18th century Borg-space!

Maybe the introduction of Ferengi ideals into the Borg collective disrupted them for a time!?! Or made them even more voracious for assimilation!?!

Andrew

--------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What was the accident that caused Quark and Company to travel back to Roswell? A similar incident could have occured.

The Caretaker could also have been to blame for some of this, which may, or may not, tie everything in to a nice little knot. Kind of like the book where Q was used to tie all kinds of things together.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Interesting idea about the Caretaker - but how long had he been on the look out for new DNA or what ever he was doing - how long had he been abducting ships etc?

It would be interesting to find out what the Bajoran and Cardassian numbers were - cause I reckon that the Ferengi are quite close to the Bajorans and the Cardassians. Maybe an explanation as to why the Ferengi aren't seen again after "Aquisition" for a long time - the Cardassians expanded their "union" and became more militarily agressive. This became a barrier stopping any Ferengi movement in that general area.

--------------------

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

...you think too much...

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Besides, the Borg have already been shown time-traveling. And we all know what that does to causality.

That kinked curve could be adjusted a bit without abandoning chronological order. Let's assume that a species is numbered when first encountered by the Borg. But in that case, we only have one solid datapoint, not two: we know the date of the 8472 encounter, but NOT the date of the 6339 one. Instead, Seven in "Infinite Regress" says the 6339 encountered the Borg four years prior, which isn't the same thing at all. The real 6339 datapoint could be centuries before the 6339 spotted their first drone, and centuries before the 8472 one.

OTOH, this still leaves the fact that Species 10026 was encountered prior to "Dark Frontier". So we still get a kink, just not necessarily in 2371 yet, but in 2373. Perhaps the Queen had something of a stutter that day, and meant Species 1026?

Another way to remove the kink from the curve would be to say that a stray Species 8472 individual had been spotted by the Borg in our universe sometime in the medieval times and duly recorded. Perhaps such an encounter was the very reason the Borg decided to try and enter the fluid realm?

Timo Saloniemi

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the chronological idea, but there must be other possible numbering systems as well as chronological or Borg-Dewey/Decimal.

What about:
- Type of species (humaniod - variation from Species 1)
- Mental ability: psionic ability, intelligence
(Oops, no. Yes the Vulcans have a higher number, but so do the Ferengi - and they are neither more intelligent, not more psionic than humans).

- Technological: level of technology at time of assimilation)

- Distance from one of the transwarp hubs (first, last or NUMBER OF digits could indicate hub).

Any other ideas?

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps