Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Borg History using Species Numbers (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Borg History using Species Numbers
wingsabre
Member # 1682

- posted      Profile for wingsabre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well i think there's two roots you could look at.

1. The Borg came from another dimension. This could be explained by incorporating M theory into it.
2. The Borg was created by a huminoid race and was used as a way to preserve life. They served man and linked in a collectie untill a war happend and they were used as weapons/ slaves by enslaving others. They they rebelled. or A queen appeared and they began to spread.

The borg could have been an entity that was not linked before and then something happened like a queen that linked them and made them the Borg of today.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
M theory is, like, the best theory.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know, eleven dimensions are an intensely curling pain to live with.

(Also, an M-theory dimension != a Star Trek dimension.)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mabye the technological aspect of the Borg is a recent addition- possibly the orgainc aspect was a race that explored via sleeper ship or other relativly low-tech means and developed the first cybernetic enhancments to allow them to survive their interstellar transits.

Though if I were writing a Trek story, I'd play it this way:
Said aincent explorers without warp drive (it's not like it has to be common everywhere guys) develop a interdimensional means of traveling great distances.
This works nicely for a time and many primitave species are catalogued for later contact (explaining the erratic numbers for some Alpha races).
However, the dimension they are using as a shortcut is inhabited by spooky machines of cool and inhuman inteligence that investigated these strance organic lifeforms on a cellular level.
Thus the first Borg were created.

Or, for (shits and giggles), the orgainc species (00001?) could have been radicly advanced prior to coruption by the extrradimensional machines and, as the species was being assimilated, spread their genetic potential all over the galaxy as ameans of svaing their own asses on some level (linking the Preservers or Iconans if you want the neat bow-tie wrap-up that trek too often uses).

As for the Queen idea, that was probably an unintended side-effect of assimilating an advanced Matriarchical that influenced Borg thinking.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any origin of the Borg that isn't simply "a bunch of people developed ever more advanced technologies and applied these over time to the radical remaking of themselves and their environment" misses the point completely, in my opinion. The Borg have come out on the dark side of the curve, or the singularity, or whatever you want to call it.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or they are in need of a class-action lawsuit against Philip K Dick.

Mabye it was Ghost in the Shell cosplay taken waaaay too far.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't think of anything resembling the Borg in a Dick novel. Hints of the short story "Autofac", perhaps, but then, anything with self-replicating machines shares that resemblance.

Anyway, what were you thinking of, in particular?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Nothing per se (as I've only read a few og his short stories and never made it through Available Light)- I was thinking of his "father of cyberpunk" honorific I hear bandied about on occasion.

More to the culture of sci fi that thinks implants and wetware will become common human enhancments.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Philip Dick had little if anything to do with cyberpunk, though. Not that people don't claim that he did.

What's Available Light, by the way? Amazon returns photography manuals and a book by Warren Ellis. Who is cyberpunk, to the extent that that has any meaning today.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Huh. I may (probably) have my authors confused- I bought Available Light several years back at DFW ariport to read on the flight to LA, but had a cocktail or two and left it on the plane somewhere.
I've read the "Do Androids Deam of electric Sheep" short, but was not thrilled by it (though Blade Runner was cool- fuck the Director's Cut though: buy the "voiceover version" for the great detective film noir).

Many "Cyberpunk" concepts are still a major influence in pop culture and sci fi (though not much in books now)- consider the Matrix, Ghost in The Shell, parts of Cowboy Bebop- hell, even
some of DS9's shady characters did as well.

Oddly though, the best concepts never make it on screen (okay, outside of anime).

My cosplay joke still works though- you cant take that away from me! [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

I don't mean that cyberpunk doesn't exist anymore. Well, not exactly. I mean that the world has thoroughly absorbed it at this point. (And also that, as a specific literary movement, it's run its course.) It doesn't exist independently, let's say.

Except for when it does.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Sounds like you're describing "Alternative Music". [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

wingsabre
Member # 1682

- posted      Profile for wingsabre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could also be that the Borg was once a slave race.

Say there was an Empire in the Delta Quadrant that had control of a small solar system. They had no advanced weaponry and were a dieing race that uses sleeper ships to travel. This race was not advance, but had perfected nanotech. They use nanites to preserve their lives, and to enslave those who have committed crimes.

As they begin to conquer a species they would expose their leaders and governments to nanites and them their citizens. This process would take several centuries and some times the nanites remained dormant until needed. This was done so they could be submissive and not propagate, so as they die out the Empire could take over the territory. These cyborgs would also be individual ones so they would not link to each other by a central source.

The empire race could also be very xenophobic, and keep the borgs separate from themselves.

They continue to expand for centuries, expanding this shadow empire. Eventually after expanding for thousands of years they attempted to conquer the 125th race they meet. This race was telepathic and as they were assimilated they formed a link. They disconnected themselves from the central link and rebelled against the Empire. Since the Empire still traveled in sleeper ships they did not know that and expected the race to be ready to serve them after a century when the Empire expanded enough. Then their queen at the time took the position of the borg queen. This species was able to add a collectivize consciousness to the Borg and added the ones form the conquering empire to their new collectiveness by modifying the nanites. After a millenima of a �civil war� the empire was absorbed into the Borg. Because of this war the Borg territory did not expand until the 22nd century, and even then their expansion was slow because not enough tech was present.

This could explain the reason why the Borgs are not everywhere in the Delta Quadrant

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also remember that in "Dragon's Teeth" the Vaadwaur said that in their time the Borg were a minor nuisance, not a force to be reckoned with...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vaadwaur were probably lying. [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps