Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Borg History using Species Numbers (Page 6)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Borg History using Species Numbers
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because they hate anyone with short, easily spelled names.

Mabye the Borg were themselves victims of someone else's nanotech warfare experiments....
Species 2 may have been the jerks that attacked the peacful pre-borg humanoids and, in a nice ironic plot point, the big bad invaders are themselves wiped out by their victims.

I think it's the nappy hair that made the Kazon unworthy of assimilation.
The borg would have been laughed at with Sideshow Bob hair.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simon is right though. The "message" of the Borg (and the Cybermen too) is of all-encompassing technology taking away what it means to be "human" (if you'll forgive me sounding to trite). A complex backstory takes away their purity (as Voyager showed to great effect).

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah....it's just fanboy damage-control for Voyager.
Anything to make them marginally intresting again.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, except it does exactly the opposite.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I dont agree....there needs to be something to reconcile the two versions of Borg we've seen.

Even if it's just wild speculation or a fanfic.

And, as Liam pointed out, the idea of cyborging out untill the humanity is lost is not a concept unique to Trek.

I liked the Borg growing babies idea- beats the very limited Voyager version that cant even learn without assimilation.

Alas, it sems the Borg suffer from "Wolverine Syndrome"- the more you know, the less intresting they became.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What two versions would that be?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look, VOYAGER was all a holosuite fantasy of Harry Kim's before he left DS9.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's more than two versions. There's the original "hive mind that assimilates alien technology and makes it their own" which turned into the "hive mind which takes alien technology AND species and makes it into their own" into "rubbish robot-zombie things".

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

wingsabre
Member # 1682

- posted      Profile for wingsabre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the interesting thing is, past villian race get's domesticated. that happened with the klingons, romulans, domionion, and other race. After the end of the series which they play the main bad guys they eventually become good. The borg is the only race that should not, but to me i think voyager made the borgs look weak. it was like the ultimate backup. Like janice on friends.

Berman: "damn we need to fill up some air time, what about the borg?"
Brag: "yeah, and we'll cut the time of the show so we can get more money from commercials"
Berman: "how about product placement? we can always have the borg wear parts from radio shack"
Brag: "oh, oh, oh, i got another idea, we'll end with this with a time travel thingy to avoid the borg"
Berman: "arn't we doing the time travel thing too much?"
Brag: "heck no, these fans will buy everything up. we just need to milk the cash cow."
Berman: "what if we bring Q back?"
Brag: "Can't he's on 'Andromeda'"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Er...the Dominion was never "domesticated" or a "good guy".
The Romulans are never anyone's friends- last five minutes of Nemesis notwithstanding, og course.

The two version of Borg I see are the "hive mind of power and technology far beyond your ability to deal with".
They implanted infants- possibly even grew them, learned what they could about a potential culture before assimilation and nothing worked twice on them. Their ships regenerated when damaged and had a powerful Subspace Field in lieu of shields.

....and the second version is the "Scheming, petty, revenge-seeking Queen-led pack of easily-beaten zombies" that was introduced in First Contact and became steadily less formidible untill the once awe-inspiring Cube was being destroyed by a single torpedo fired from the batmobile.

It always bugged me when I'd read about a writer for Voyager having never seen most of TNG or DS9.
Small wonder the show had it's problems.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Except those aren't different concepts, just different implementations, and wacky origin stories don't address the difference anyway.
wingsabre
Member # 1682

- posted      Profile for wingsabre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the dominions are being domesticated by Odo. I haven't read the DS9 books, but what i'm thinking is that they will not be as big as a threat as they were before, and they may one day become allies of the federation and the klingon empire. I don't think we will ever see them again as the enemy they once were. Just like the Ferengi.

As for the romulans, to me they slowly became domesticated on DS9. We saw good romulans and the senate was not a big threat in Nemesis, before they were all killed. Remember in Nemesis the enemy was supposed to be the Romulans but it turned out to be Remans.

I think if there's a new series that takes place after Nemesis, the enemy will probably be the Breen or a new Race. There is one open plot whole that a series could start on, which is the Borg attempt to assimulate humans by implanting nanites on Earth and have it spread slowly.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Well...sorta.
It was the Romulan military that was Shinzon's main source of political power in wiping out the senate.
It was not just a Reman insurrection.

In the latest Worlds of DS9 book, the founders reveal that they have a "god" of sorts, -they find it (kind of a planet-sized changling) but it's been killed by a race of religous zealots called er....something.

The founders all become extremely dispondent and split, leaving Laas and Odo as the sole leaders of the Dominion and having to deal with the (often brutal) facts of Dominion politics. Odo had not been real, successful in changing the Founder's opinions- if anything, it was the other way around, with Odo accepting the mantle of "Founder" and running a new version of Wyoun(sp?) on errands to gather intel from across the Dominion.

The notion of nanite infection has already been (poorly) addressed by the Voyager novels.
Skip those.

I'd like to see more of the Breen- but it might lead to the "less is more" problem the Borg had- any backstory is likely to detract from their appeal.

Please pardon any mis-spellings: We've got another hurricane hitting this weekend and I just got back from the bars.
A Florida thing. [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps