Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Borg History using Species Numbers (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Borg History using Species Numbers
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the distance from hubs idea... Although it may have been the intention in TNG that transwarp was a new thing. However, it could have just been a new thing to them and not for the Borg.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno, it did take them a year to get to Earth following the QWho? encounter. So either it wasn't top priority for 'em or they either didn't have transwarp technology yet OR just plain didn't have it reach that far across this Galaxy yet...

...you know the silly thing is...is that if the Borg really wanted to destroy the Federation and have the ability to time travel...why the hell didn't they (or any other advanced race with the means for that matter) just go to some obscure solar system, go back in time there undetected and *BOOM* anniliate Earth or the Federation altogether, and not, say attempt time travel in plainsight of say the Enterprise, ya know?

Hell, the sling-shot method of Kirks is 100 years old and instructions probably are attainable to anyone for the right price (Project Genesis anyone?) so really, the entire Star Trek universe is held together by the fact that none of the alien species they've encountered wasn't smart enough to go back in time undetected and do a number on the Federation....it sounds so simple.... [Wink]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
Hell, the sling-shot method of Kirks is 100 years old and instructions probably are attainable to anyone for the right price (Project Genesis anyone?) so really, the entire Star Trek universe is held together by the fact that none of the alien species they've encountered wasn't smart enough to go back in time undetected and do a number on the Federation....it sounds so simple.... [Wink]

As I think someone else suggested on another thread, it is highly probable that the slingshot time travel method was hushed up by Temporal Investigations or Section 31, and all those who knew about it had the Official Secrets Act (or the Federation's equivalent) waved in front of their faces.

It's nice to know that whoever did that is actually competant, unlike most other Federation people we seem to see.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Treknophyle: "Any other ideas?"

Perhaps the species names are written in Okudaic?You know, the language that consists solely of seemingly meaningless rows of numbers. The Feds can read that language without problems - perhaps this is the "linguacode" referred to in TMP, a truly universal language so close to perfection that even the Borg appreciate it.

There's an odd lack of references to low four-digit species. The over-representation of low three-digit species could be excused in the chronologial interpretation because most of these are Delta species and/or mentioned because they contributed trademark Borg technologies or drone types, logically assimilated early on. The lack of anything between 571 and 3259 is odd, though.

One could assume that species beyond 3259 would be "hot topics" because they are recent findings and the Borg have recently messed around with people our heroes are familiar with. Indeed, this is true for four out of the ten 4-digiters.

Incidentally, why can't #6291 be the Yridians from TNG/DS9? Their mistaken extinction probably was something applying to pre-TNG or early TNG times, as the rediscovery was old news and inspiration for Janeway when she was moving up the Starfleet ladder. And even if we see TNG Yridians in ENT, there's plenty of time for them to get pseudo-extinct prior to TNG. (And perhaps plenty of reason for "information merchants" to fake their own deaths...)

Timo Saloniemi

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
anyone think that the species designations might be more like the dewey decimal system, or each digit has a non-sequential meaning in the series (like a the first digit means first encountered in a certain area of the galaxy, 0 through 9, and possibly the other digits are designators of the species' time contacted and other distinguishing characteristics about how information was recorded on them.. i.e Species 8472 was encountered in a section of space the borg classify as '8' in subsection '4' or whatever and the rest might be a time code or a qualification of their assumed characteristics)
Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Captain Mike:
Exactly. Put distance from a hub in there (which shows part of the Galaxy), and you may well have it.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
also, on the topic of the Ferengi, they do have a knack for showing up many years prior to when they are 'supposed' to have... *cough*acquisition*cough*
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh geez...thanks for reminding us about that incident!! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix:
I think someone else suggested on another thread, it is highly probable that the slingshot time travel method was hushed up by Temporal Investigations or Section 31, and all those who knew about it had the Official Secrets Act (or the Federation's equivalent) waved in front of their faces.

Picard and Riker have a conversation about this in "Time Squared", where Picard asks what ways there are to time travel, and Riker makes the interesting comment:

"None that we know of. In theory, accelerating beyond warp 10."

And Picard replies:

"Using the gravitational pull of a star to slingshot blah blah blah".

So, as of 2265, one of the brightest crews in Starfleet only knew of time travel "in theory". Which is strange, because time travel was almost casual by the time of ST IV, and even in later TNG. But there's also the fact that Picard had at least HEARD of it...

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Ferengi could have been in space as long as the Vulcans. One of their Rules of Acquistion states that fortune is to be made in the stars. Considering these rules were codified and used for centuries, I think implies the Ferengi left their home world seeking profits elsewhere.

There is no evidence the Hansens were the first humans assimilated by the Borg. Other humans from earlier times could have encountered the Borg.

I agree that the number system employed by the Borg is chronological in nature. Which raises the question-the progenitors of the Borg, were they species 0 or 1?

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it was stated once somewhere that the Ferengi bought warp drive rather than invented it. I can't back this up, however.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
I think it was stated once somewhere that the Ferengi bought warp drive rather than invented it. I can't back this up, however.

I'll back ya -- Quickie Ferengi history lesson from "Little Green Men":

quote:

NOG - It says here that humans didn't even have currency until five thousand years ago. Let alone
banking, speculative investments or a unified global economy.

QUARK - They're a primitive, backward people, Nog. Pity them.

NOG - But think about it, uncle. That means they went from being savages with a simple barter system to the leaders of a vast interstellar
Federation in only five thousand years... It took us twice as long to establish the Ferengi Alliance. And we had to buy warp technology from the...

QUARK - (cuts him off) Five thousand... ten thousand...what's the difference? The speed
of technological advancement isn't nearly as important as short-term quarterly gains...

--------------------

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pardon my thread necromancy, but:

Crap! . . . it would've been much easier if I'd searched for Borg info *before* making my new page instead of *after*. I've ended up recreating Timo's point about 6339 and, of course, the observation of accelerating Species designations among the Borg from the original post. Would've been much quicker had I just been able to copy them. [Wink]

I'll go ahead and throw some credit your way. In the meantime, I hope the page is enjoyable on its own merits, including the theory as to the reason for the accelerating Borg species designations in the mid-2370's.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It's worth noting here that although the Borg are often viewed as having all the stealthiness of a bull in a china shop, this actually isn't the case at all. For instance, in 2364 the Borg probed the Federation-Romulan Neutral Zone, perhaps some of the most well-defended and well-monitored real estate in the Alpha Quadrant. There, they destroyed or assimilated bases and outposts on both sides. Neither side had the first clue who did it. Compare that to "Balance of Terror"[TOS1], in which Earth outposts, even under devastating attack by a Romulan ship armed with weapons of extraordinary power, had sufficient time to send distress calls and telemetry.

Possibly, the Borg took not only the colonies but also the various satelites, communications systems and monitoring devices. Kind of as a cross-section of the culture's tech level.

By TNG, the taken colonies might have been considered low security by both Federation and Romulans- as they had no contact for 30(?) years.
Heck, the colonies night not have been actual parts of either empire, but protectorates claimed when both powers were trying to grab as much territory as possible.

So- it's not stealth as much as it's a lack of vigilance on the Fed/Romulans' part.

But thats' just my notion- we'll never really know.

It may be Borg policy to nab colonies in disputed areas- both as a gauge of the powers' defenses and (possibly) to have them remain at conflict with each other as a means of improving the species prior to assimilation.

All that is assuming that the Borg are only one collective and that it's run by the scheming petty Queen from Voyager (and not the unstoppable force from Q who? /BOBW)

Also,
[quote]For the Borg to have only encountered 250 species over 670 years is remarkable. By the time the Federation was 200 years old, for instance, an individual like Data could encounter 1754 "non-human" species in his lifetime ("Darmok"[TNG5]), and members of hundreds of humanoid species reside on Earth per Harry Kim in "Hope and Fear"[VOY4].[/i]
Hmmm...they might have spent all that time assimilating a few (or single) interstellar cultures that fought back bitterly (resulting in that whole "fragmentary history" from biological or computer systems attack).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Q-Who? Was on the other day and Guinan says they have (the Borg) existed for hundreds of millenia.

Is it possible that they weren't originally of this Galaxy and only arrived and set up systems and started assimilating 1000+ years ago?

Andrew

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps