Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » What should the next series concept be? (Page 10)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: What should the next series concept be?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jesus Christ that's bad.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are J. Michael Straczynski and I claim my $5.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
M'kay....

The real catch is what people's definition of "works" is for a series.

To us fans, it's all about story and characters (and cool ship stuff as well), but to the producers, it's all about ratings.

That's why we see that famous Borg practicality employed as a skintight utfit and high heels.

I think for a new series to get the chance to work, they should focus on the syndication market and on good stories- dont limit the show to UPN.
Enterprise being stuck on this shit network is a major hurdle that it never got over. Even a lot of diehard Trek fams had to dowload weekly episodes because the show was not available in their area or it was shown sporadically at best.

Storywise, I was impressed with these last two seasons of Enterprise.
Even season two had some really good episodes.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be sure to use terms like Outer Rim in the story too, because noone will pick up on the connection to Star Wars.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
Be sure to use terms like Outer Rim in the story too, because noone will pick up on the connection to Star Wars.

Outer Rim - is that a sex thang? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Grand Admiral Thrawn
Member # 1490

- posted      Profile for Grand Admiral Thrawn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The term outer rim is used in 'Conspiracy' when Walker Keel asks if Picard has noticed anything strange about Starfleet recently he replies 'no, but we've been on the outer rim for a while we haven't had much contact with them'

--------------------
The disappearance of Donald Love

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep. And and sounded like they pulled a line from Star Wars.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what the Grand Admiral is proposing is a series idea that rips off a Star Wars novel that rips off Battlestar Galactica? Yeah, that'll be a sure fire hit.

First, we already know that Odo would not go psycho on the death of Kira. Watch "The Children of Time", and you see that over the years since Kira's demise Odo has turned into a relaxed, almost grandfatherly figure. Sure, he later sacrificed the colony in altering history to make sure that Kira lived, but that's a different effect that Odo turning into a monster consumed by bloodlust. It's out of character. And, speaking of out of character...

Second, no way in hell would an emotional Vulcan be a hit with fans. Just during Enterprise, there was a ton of fan critism against Soval, T'Pol, and others for supposedly playing Vulcans that were too emotional. Fans like the stoic, logical Vulcans like Tuvok or the hybrids that struggle to maintain an inner balance like Spock. Featuring a Vulcan that's given up on his culture, unless the writers can come up with a damned good excuse, is not going to be well-received.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I watched the Vulcan three parter of Enterprise for the first time last weekend and was blown away that most of the high counsel didn't even try to pretend they were being logical. The guy in charge (Admiral Leyton) kept punching consoles and barking orders... and the second in command who eventually took over about pissed himself on a couple of occasions. Soval actually looked restrained for once.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:

Second, no way in hell would an emotional Vulcan be a hit with fans. Just during Enterprise, there was a ton of fan critism against Soval, T'Pol, and others for supposedly playing Vulcans that were too emotional. Fans like the stoic, logical Vulcans like Tuvok or the hybrids that struggle to maintain an inner balance like Spock. Featuring a Vulcan that's given up on his culture, unless the writers can come up with a damned good excuse, is not going to be well-received.

That would be the bust known as Star Trek V.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Grand Admiral Thrawn
Member # 1490

- posted      Profile for Grand Admiral Thrawn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is soom room for debate about the whole Odo/Vulcan thing I freely admit, but I'd like to see a series where the Federation somehow has to be rebuilt against overwhelming odds against a force like the Dominion, and where old hatreds and rivalries have to be put aside. It would in no way borrow from Galactica, these wouldn't be civilians, they would be whats left of the Romulan/Klingon/Federation fleets without the neccesary resources or leadership to stage a counter-strike.

--------------------
The disappearance of Donald Love

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

So....Andromeda.

Mabye they can get some musclehead to be the captain and a hot holographic computer and...

Naaaa.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm ashamed to say that Andromeda sunk its fangs into me solely because of Lexa Doig. But that will never happen again. Fool me once and shame on you; fool me twice and shame on... someone... for fooling me... into something. Again. Something like that.

Also, let's be realistic. The galaxy already has two big bad guys: the Dominion and the Borg. How many more "threatening to overwhelm the Federation" races can there possibly be? Especially taking into account the vast territory of the both of them? I don't think the galaxy could support it, plus the idea of a vastly superior species hellbent on conquering the Federation has been done to death now (with both races being soundly defeated and now without their menacing aura).

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thus, the evil enemy must come from outside the galaxy. [Wink]
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Good catch, my good captain. We haven't heard from the Kelvans in a while.
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps