Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Starfleet's Lost "Tech" Opportunities (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Starfleet's Lost "Tech" Opportunities
machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Uh, the shield Crusher implemented in that episode was a reuse of a technology introduced in a previous episode.

And I do believe that "metaphasic shields" became a not uncommon buzzword after that.

I know it was a re-use then, but I dont recall ever hearing it after.

Though, I suppose it may have become the starfleet standard, and was referred to only as "shields" after that.

That's more or less the impression I got, as it didn't require such a huge modification to standard shield generators. BTW, does anyone recall if they were mentioned on VOY later?
HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Couldn't the Medusans work out an arrangement with Data or the androids from "I-Mudd" and develop mobile containment systems? This way the best navigators in the Federation could actually navigate and be contributing members of society.

Personal shields would be nice.

I had an idea for a "Strange New Worlds" story that dealt with Dr. Soon and his wife spending time with the androids from "I-Mudd" and gaining knowledge for his work on Data.

I wouldn't count stuff from the end of the Dominon War as lost tech opportunities. We've not seen much of what Starfleet and the Federation is like after the war. Just one movie and that didn't really lend itself to follow up on the events after the war.

Plenty of alternate forms of propulsion to use.

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
quote:
Originally posted by WizArtist II:
The Kelvans...you'd think that Starfleet would have those little boxes that turns you into geometry.

Yes, I can just see Starfleet officers running around, shooting people and turning them into cubes, possibly while also shouting "yee-haw".

Yeehaw... and here's Psy's new pix.  -

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Voyager implements the metaphasic program in the Jeri Taylor novel Mosaic, but I don't think they employed it in the show itself.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Shakaar
Member # 1782

- posted      Profile for Shakaar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Acquiring technology does not conflict with the Prime Directive in any way� but I would have to make some notes to the technology mentioned so far (aside from TOS as I�m not as well versed).

TNG-The Arsenal of Freedom, It was difficult for the Enterprise to defeat� but it was all pretty common tech- cloaking and replication- it actually wasn�t all that great, they defeated it many times over- what really made it a powerful weapon was that the planetary power source that allowed the system to make a new weapon after the last one was defeated.

Iconian Tech- Would be very cool to have, but it�s not exactly like they encountered it and just overlooked trying to figure it out, it had to be destroyed before it fell into Romulan or Dominion hands.

TNG - Booby Trap" � The Menthar�s technology that trapped the Promellian battle cruiser and the Enterprise D was not all that amazing, and it does assume that you know where your enemy will be well ahead of time. One could just use cloaked mines to blow the ship up and be done with it rather than trap them so they can face a slow death or figure their way out of it.

The Dyson�s Sphere. I do not think this was a �wasted opportunity�. They did state that science ships would be deployed to study it� The internal Earth-like surface was unstable, but they could have used the Sphere� used it as a starbase, built on the exterior surface. Even after the star inside cools/expands/dies, it could probably be used. That was at the end of TNG- and we�ve not really been back to that part of the Beta Quadrant since, so I�d like to think something is going on there.

V�ger- after it merged with Decker it vanished. Its systems could not be studied further.

Edo God- I�m not sure the Edo God would respond well to being poked and prodded for secrets.

Anti-aging drug- perhaps it had other problems we were not aware of.

Husnock- they were wished away- I ponder everything about them was included in that.

Hunter phaser absorbing things- Perhaps this is where you�d get into not a prime directive problem, but just a �You can�t just outright steal their tech� problem.

WizArtist II, Did you make the origami?

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice one Shakky, good to see a reasoned analysis of many of the opportunities suggested. One other obstacle to studying the Hunters' tech - they were from the GQ after all, and even carried Jem'Hadar weapons (although that wasn't what they were "meant" to be at the time, it can be implied since they used the same props).

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by machf:
That's more or less the impression I got, as it didn't require such a huge modification to standard shield generators. BTW, does anyone recall if they were mentioned on VOY later?

The shields were used less than 5 episodes later in Decent part 2 to allow the Enterprise to hide in a star. I believe they were also used in the first epsode of season 7 of DS9 that I can't remember the name of that involved Worf, Bashir, O'Brien and Quark going to destroy a Dominion ship-yard.

(The shields do ignore the fact that starships never used to have a problem hiding in stars, such as in "Redemption II" and "I, Borg", but I'm sure someone can come up with an excuse for them.)

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What was actually different about the sun-proof shields anyway? Nothing that would require re-fitting or replacing the shield generators, based on how quickly Crusher implemented the changes in "Descent, part 2." So it would be, what, a change to field geometry, amplitude/frequency/whatever, and power flow? So how do we know such stronger shields don't become more commonplace, but the reason they're not much better against phasers/torpedoes is because the attacking weapons can be just as easily modified to counter the effect. Maybe the shield mod is ONLY really better at standing direct immersion in a star, so remains a little-used technique?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Intresting that the magic shields still do dick in some (plot device) nebulas though...

While I can see the Metaphasic Shielding not being a match for new weapons forms (new phasers, polaron beams, quantum torpedos, etc.) it would be a huge technological leap.
Consider that a star's power could now be directly tapped for energy.

From a strategic P.O.V., it means that all the major powers would have to deploy agreat many orbital defenses around their stars (in light of that Founder's attempted destruction of the Bajoran star and the trick Martok pullued to destroy the Dominion shipyards).

As to the Husnok, I tend to think all their shit is still around, even if they aren't: if Uxbridge was to destroy all their stuff along with them, he would likely have imperilled many innocent races (even more)....loss of containment frm energy generators as only one example.
It makes for an intresting plot to explore- the power vaccum from ther sudden extinction.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe Uxbridge himself could be asked for information. Sort of a "you owe all sentient life a little favor for your heinous crime" deal.
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
One other obstacle to studying the Hunters' tech - they were from the GQ after all, and even carried Jem'Hadar weapons (although that wasn't what they were "meant" to be at the time, it can be implied since they used the same props).

Granted on the weapons. But it was another year-and-a-half before the Jem'Hadar made their first appearance (ha!) in their eponymous episode. You would think Starfleet would take advantage of that time to study the weapons, and that when we encountered the Jem'Hadar, we would have had some new personal defences in production.

As for their being GQ, yes, I know that. But there were some dead Hunters left on DS9 after the Hunter ship resumed pursuit of Tosk. There ya go.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Hunters were not meant to be part of the Dominion initially, but ont he writing staff it was assumed to be so. In DS9's "Broken Link" (Odo is humanized), the Jem'Hadar take over the Defiant and pilot it to the Founders' new homeworld. An early draft saw a Hunter at the conn, tying both the species and their pilot ability back into the franchise.

Looking back at an earlier post, the Hunters' phaser blocking tech didn't BEND the beams to them... They just absorbed 'em, at least in the VFX.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember the sequence on the Promenade very well. We had several shots of Hunters moving their arms to block a few short bursts. Then, as Kira is registering fear and amazement, the Hunter leader takes a steady blast on his arm guard, holds it for a beat, then pulls the phaser beam off to the side, and shoots back, blowing up the kiosk Kira and Odo were hiding behind.

But I'll dig the tape out of storage and watch it tomorrow, just to make sure. [Smile]

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please do. Quatloos on standby. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dbutler1986:
Maybe Uxbridge himself could be asked for information. Sort of a "you owe all sentient life a little favor for your heinous crime" deal.

Sure- unless questions get him....angry.
Then it's all some (seemingly) harmless old man crying about how he was just
so mad
and wiped then all out.
For all we know, the Hussnok had a real greivence with those bozo colonists (at least as much as the Gorn did back on Cestus 3).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps