Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Starfleet's Lost "Tech" Opportunities (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Starfleet's Lost "Tech" Opportunities
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well speaking of tech that was never used let us not forget Enterprise. I mean what about all that Borg wreckage in the North Pole(never mind all that transpired during the episode.)I mean Starfleet had 200 years to look at that stuff and still weren't ready for the Borg when they finally arrived. Also don't forget that good stuff from the Temporal Cold War(Suliban enhancements, Daniels holographic encyclopedia of future tech, the mysterious timepod, etc.) It appeared to me that even the war was ending, many things still remained in the timeline. Oh and let's not forget the Xindi, who had guns which were powered by larva and their ships which could create subspace vortexes akin to Borg transwarp portals. Don't they become members of the Federation? I don't see any larva powered phasers. Finally there's the wanna-be Death Stars in the Delphic Expanse. Those were quite a feat even by 24th Century standards.
Shakaar
Member # 1782

- posted      Profile for Shakaar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the spheres that the spherebuilders created were destroyed, and really their only function was to alter the fabric of space to be more hospitable to their kind- so it's not really of any value to the UFP, even if they could have learned more about it.
I think most of the technology of a temporal nature vanishes at one point or another.

Now the Borg is a different story- You'd think that something more could have been discovered of them from the Arctic site, they easily found two drones in the ice right away, and though those two assimilated the research team and perhaps took technology of value, something more probably could have been found... So they have at least some knowledge of the Borg. At the time they didn't know they were "Borg" though, and there was no visual evidence of what a drone looked like (as I assume what the researchers collected was destroyed with them) but at least they could have collected visual renderings of what the away team saw on the assimilated research vessel.

The Xindi join sometime after the founding of the UFP, and the 29th century, and then who knows, perhaps only part of the Xindi are members. Perhaps they resettled someplace different.

The larva was not a power cell, they produced synapitic impulses, which perhaps served as a simple CPU for the weapon. I think a modern Starfleet phaser is better... biological technology is neat, but I'd probably not use it in a phaser... what if you went to a very hot, or cold planet, it'd really suck to have your larva die and then the weapon to go haywire. Perhaps it was a precursor to the bio-neural gel packs, so maybe they did learn from it.

Shakaar
Member # 1782

- posted      Profile for Shakaar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my... as for the portal technology, yeah, I've no clue... mayhaps *ponders* the NX-01 had a warp 5 engine, but always went slower than that unless it was a big emergency, and even before TOS times there was be a big advancement in warp drive, so perhaps the Xindi vortex technology was faster than the NX-01, but the new warp drive tech to come was superior to both.
emperorkalan
Member # 1821

- posted      Profile for emperorkalan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One tech gadget that could have existed but didn't would be engineer's goggles using some of the same tech as Geordi's VISOR. In fact, it would probably develop in the other direction: the VISOR would likely be a souped-up and neural-linked version of already-existing visual sensor-tech.

Of course, it wouldn't be good TV to obscure the face of everybody in Engineering with funky shades, and might steal some of Geordi's uniqueness.

--------------------
Old jedi never die...
The just fade in and out.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They have done that themselves!

I mean, losing the visor for ST:VIII.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the alternate future presented in the DS9 Millineum books, starfleet officers wear a kind of VISOR that has tricorder functions and a built in phaser...but the hight tech aspect is blown by the description of a wire running down the person's back to a power supply in the uniform's belt.

A cool bit of captured tech would have been the invasive "parasite" that was introduced into the Defiant's systems in The Advesary.

The Dominion really does have all the coolest shit.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alternate Dominion War timeline...methinks I've found a book to pique my interests for a month or so.
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So starfleet went Cyclops with the visor?

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hell, give all Starfleet officers Geordi's optical implants, some Seven-of-Nine inspired nano-upgrades, a mobile emitter with an EMH MkII, and a transporter transponder and buffer that allows them to carry buttloads of stuff in 'limbo.' Plus personal cloaks like several alien species have had, ablative armor generators, personal shields � la Worf, wrist-mounted pulse phasers reminiscent of the Anubis Warriors from SG1, and use tech like the VISOR and Seven's implants to link them with the ship mentally.
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah! And we can implant tubes in their arms that shoot nanoprobes into peoples' necks, and then the nanoprobes can start giving other people the same implants and linking them into the ship, and...
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there's no reason your collective consciousness has to be so proselytistic.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes there is and you know there is.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

quote:
Originally posted by dbutler1986:
Hell, give all Starfleet officers Geordi's optical implants, some Seven-of-Nine inspired nano-upgrades, a mobile emitter with an EMH MkII, and a transporter transponder and buffer that allows them to carry buttloads of stuff in 'limbo.' Plus personal cloaks like several alien species have had, ablative armor generators, personal shields � la Worf, wrist-mounted pulse phasers reminiscent of the Anubis Warriors from SG1, and use tech like the VISOR and Seven's implants to link them with the ship mentally.

Why not give them impulse engines and warp drive and then they'll be no need for starships!
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol see, this is the problem with scifi. In real life they'd rapidly become unrecognizably alien. In every 25 years, the same amount of progress is made as in the past 100. I mean, these people are beyond the singularity....they would have had a complete paradigm shift at least once for sure.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed- really, we've never seen any sci-fi show/movie that deals with what humans might become, rather it's usually how humans have remained the same (or worse) despite the passage of time and incredible technology advances.
Trek usually (except for the crappy TOS movies) is unique in that it presents humans as morally more advanced than today's adverage bozo.
quote:
Originally posted by Mars Needs Women:
Alternate Dominion War timeline...methinks I've found a book to pique my interests for a month or so.

Is that an actual novel or are you just thinking of writing something?
Could be an amazingly fun Flarite collective project....either as a seperate forum (as the unlamented Titan design forum was) or in the Starships and Tech section.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps