Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Starfleet's Lost "Tech" Opportunities (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Starfleet's Lost "Tech" Opportunities
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of the hunters, what about the Tosk ithimherself? I mean, sleeping only 20 mins a day, implanted with nutritious plastifibers throughout itshisher body, so on and so forth. DNA scan at least??

Also, after the whole Bynars-try-to-steal-Ent-D's computer thing, do they keep the upgrades the Bynars gave them? And that ep always irritated me...a society of people dependent on machines that can upgrade the software of the Ent-D didn't have better *hardware*? As I recall they only needed one computer core for their whole planet, yes?

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't believe no one has mentioned Pegasus yet. With the ghost-cloak and the crazy black romulan.
That combined with the Dauntless' engines combined with Dominion style shake-and-bake shipyards equals galactic domination.

But the weapons (transphasic torps was it?) and flexing ablative armor of "Endgame" was the most atrocious warez dump, that would've evened the odds against Shinzon quite a bit. We're going to assume they have it but were still testing it then, although Janeway seemed to have settled in with her new position rather nicely...

Speaking of weapons, the squad assault disruptor Paris fired into rocks together with Seven and an arms dealer, they were buying that. Paris even had suggestions for improving the thing. That thing in serial production and a Starfleet color scheme (instead of the red and cyan paint IIRC) would've been nice against the Hirogen.

There is at least one augmentation that didn't get countermanded by later episodes; Seven's Borgspawn boosting weapons and shields when fighting the Sphere, those things must've been left in there. I don't think it was a one-shot energy boost but a technical refinement, so that a future duel between Voyager and another Intrepid would've weighed in Voyager's favor.

One question I've wondered for a few years, wouldn't the fastest route out of the galaxy be to go up or down?

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
I can't believe no one has mentioned Pegasus yet. With the ghost-cloak and the crazy black romulan.
That combined with the Dauntless' engines combined with Dominion style shake-and-bake shipyards equals galactic domination.

"The Pegasus". Commander Sirol. And that pahsing-cloak was developed secretly by Starfleet Intelligence in violation of the treaty of Algeron. That wasn't a case of Our Heroes stumbling across something and never having it show up again.

Incidentally, Picard should have been court-martialled for what he pulled at the end of the episode.

quote:
One question I've wondered for a few years, wouldn't the fastest route out of the galaxy be to go up or down?
Well... yeah. But why is your goal to just get out of the galaxy? Unless you're going somewhere in particular, there's not much out there.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dbutler1986:
And that ep always irritated me...a society of people dependent on machines that can upgrade the software of the Ent-D didn't have better *hardware*? As I recall they only needed one computer core for their whole planet, yes?

The E-D was the largest mobile computer core they had available. And I figure they were using PK-UberZip.exe (from the command line, naturally) for compression.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
But the weapons (transphasic torps was it?) and flexing ablative armor of "Endgame" was the most atrocious warez dump, that would've evened the odds against Shinzon quite a bit. We're going to assume they have it but were still testing it then, although Janeway seemed to have settled in with her new position rather nicely...

I'm of the opinion that Future Janeway did some minor timeline preservation by having all that batman bullshit self destruct after a day or so.
Possibly signaled by her own (planned) death.

That would explain why none of that stuff is evident in Nemesis: after all, the Flagship would have all that new crap before anyone else- particularly given their transparant trap/mission to Romulus.

Looking at Nemesis, I think the Federation probably bogarted some Dominion transporter tech- no way they could have transported a whole shuttle, mid-flight, before.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Looking at Nemesis, I think the Federation probably bogarted some Dominion transporter tech- no way they could have transported a whole shuttle, mid-flight, before.
Who says the tech heads in the Starfleet Corp of Engineers didn't become creative during the Dominion War... after all DS9's shields held during the Dominion takeover of the station. When Starfleet gets one hell of a stimulus... they tend to react. The Defiant was created due to the Borg Crisis, DS9 got one hell of an upgrade thanks to the demise of the USS Oddyssey, and the Prometheus Class did one hell of a trial-by-fire test during the Dominion War.

As for the USS Voyager technology... well who says all the latest gadgets have to be on the flagship without further research? I'm sure during Nemesis USS Voyager was in some research facility being studied after spending 7 years in the Delta Quad. Studying the computer core would be one of many things Starfleet would be studying... such as what effects would the space in the Delta Quad do to Starfleet ship hulls, the repairs and maintenance Voyager did without Starfleet support facilities for an extended period of time, changes to the internal layout of the ship due to her special circumstances, and so forth. It would take the ship out for about a year at least. Not to mention how Starfleet would end up studying the Ablative Hull Armor in secret to see how easy it would be to implement it fleetwide and the transphasic torpedo.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just hate all that batman armor crap....and the transexual torpedo is the lamest thing Trek has ever done: it effectivly kills any further tech advances as being "future inspired".

It's a cheap, lame, cop-out way to detroy the Borg, but in many ways, that's all Voyager's last few seasons amounted to.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:

"D�j� Q" --
Picard: "Beam that shuttle back into its bay!"

Only reason they couldn't was interference from Q.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Hmm....mabye there is a size limitation that was overcome then?
There were many other times that beaming the whole shuttle would have been an advantage and ws not used.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was it the ickle Shuttlepod in Deja Q, or the No-Exterior-mockup shuttle?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I think it was the "bar-o-soap" version.

which would negate my "size limitation" theory..

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NO INSULT SHUTTLE ohman you dissed Probert BERMAN DIDN'TGETWHATHEWASGOINGFOR damn him arseness!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

Someone change Liam's meds...

--Jonah

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Besides, I think Probert's version looked like ass.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Shakaar
Member # 1782

- posted      Profile for Shakaar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like to ponder that after Voyager returned to Earth... all sorts of bells and whistles went off at temporal affairs, and a nice little ship was dispatched, and they came to an agreement that Voyager and the crew could stay, but all the tech had to go. It was all just way over the top- it would be very limited to any future story if they could keep it.

AHA! The greatest overlooked technological advancement!!!! Nanites. It�s something they already have, but seem to have fumbled on severely. Imagine a vessel with trillions upon trillions of them, it would be self aware, it could repair itself, it could repair its crew. But with this, as with any super tech advance you do have story problems if the new tech becomes a solution to every problem.

Self-aware nanites, those that talk to each other and work collectively could kill many stories, but I think they could use them programmed to carry out given tasks, and program them to do something as a group, but to not work as a team, like moving atoms to resurface damaged hull sections. Program them in a similar manner to ants, there is not an organizational structure of communication, but they do all carry out a function that allows the group to get a lot done. I don�t see as great of a story problem in that, in fact, it could help explain how ships are repaired so quickly.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps