Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Starfleet's Lost "Tech" Opportunities (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Starfleet's Lost "Tech" Opportunities
Shakaar
Member # 1782

- posted      Profile for Shakaar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kira actually shot the Hunter in the abdomen, and after Sisko ordered phasers to be set to level 6- and he was still uninjured... though he paused a second, before shooting at the door to security, not at a kiosk, but the door really exploded which Kira and Odo were near. After finding Tosk he called the hunt over and their vessel transported their other people back, and I would assume their fallen injured members too (I do not presume that the Hunters were dead, as the crew were only on lower stun settings when they were taken out), and even level six did not kill/stun their lead hunter.
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Head Hunter". Hah!

You're right about the security door. But after O'Brien stunned the leader, at one point, they got the jump on a group of Hunters who had gathered below their access tunnel. Since Tosk shot them with their own wepons, and they hd big, burned, and bleeding wounds, and since when Tosk left moments later, the Hunter ship pursued immediately, I though it could be argued that they left their dead behind.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, do I win..?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Shakaar
Member # 1782

- posted      Profile for Shakaar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, indeed, I should have scrolled through the episode more, but there is a correction... "Leader of the Hunters" *L* and two of his men were indeed shot with one of their own weapons... and went down, and were smoking too as they lay there. O'Brien gets Tosk back to his ship... Tosk leaves, but the Hunter vessel does not persue, it cuts to O'Brien getting chewed out in Sisko's office- So, mayhaps they remained behind to collect their people and weapons- it would be the only reason they did not give chase.
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless they went to Quarks and got deeply involved in a game of dabbo.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or were all incapcitated or even dead. After all, we never saw more than three at a time... And their ship never docked, so its size was not established. In the scene where Tosk finally flees the station, his tiny vessel may well be interpreted to be over half the length of the Hunter one.

(And of course, the Hunter/Zalkonian/Agent-Claiming-to-be-Working-for-Ktarians ship appears as a tiny shuttlecraft in VOY "Jetrel"...)

It doesn't sound as if Sisko in the dressing-down would think the Hunters were killed, though. And the "all three stunned by Tosk" theory explains the lack of chase just as well. Plus it explains what happened to the Hunter ship afterwards.

Timo Saloniemi

Shakaar
Member # 1782

The Hunter's ship does appear much larger than the Defiant I feel, and it easily took on DS9, so I feel it would hold more than just a shuttle
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May be all guns and engines, with enough room left over for three Great Reptilian Hunters, and a Tosk fridge for their trophy. I imagine possibly a shuttle hangar for Tosks craft, if they provided it. If he acquired it through other means as part of the track... *shrug*

And no, Mark, you haven't won until I see for myself the showdown on the Promenade.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding tech, the Hunters' trick of reversing the station's polarity (rendering then useless) was definitely something Starfleet would have been intrested in.
If Geberations was good for anything, it's showing how even a tiny ship can take out a battleship if the shields can be circumvented.

Looking at Tosk's ship while docked, I'd guess it's about 35-40 meters long. It takes up quite a lot of the berth that will eventually house the Defiant.
Good damn episode. I just re-watched it after so much banter regarding it: and no, I saw no beams curve into the armband disipators.

Techwise, the armband and the armor (assuing that's what allows the Hunters to stand up to phaser fire) would have been a huge boon to back-engineer...and why I dount that the Hunters left any teh/corpses behind.

Though the lead Hunter was definitely dead.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

I am not saying the phaser beams turned aside to hit the armguards. I'm saying at least one Hunter (the leader, if I recall correctly) caught one beam on his armguard and -- with the beam still steady -- moved his arm off to the side, and the phaser beam stayed stuck to the armguard. It was maybe a two-second shot.And that's why I need to go back and re-watch the ep.

--Jonah

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have a DVD drive, so no images, but I put the episode in to see what the deal was, and it breaks down like this: the hunters come through the wormhole, don't respond to hails, scan the station, and then use some sort of "radiation I've never seen before" to "reverse the polarity" of the shields. (Oh man, surprising!) This lets them beam aboard.

Then the shootout happens. They block shots, or perhaps absorb is the better word, but they never drag one around with them. I think you might be thinking of when they move their arm quickly to intercept.

Incidentally, Kira shoots one in the soldier, and he stumbles but then shrugs it off. All the others go down after being shot. (I think this is the first time she uses a phaser in the show, so perhaps she didn't have it turned up high enough.)

During Tosk's escape, he does catch the leader in the chest with one of the hunter's rifles, and oddly the two guys with him fall over too. There's lots of smoke, and I don't imagine the weapon, if it even has a stun setting, would be set to it, but we don't actually know if he's dead.

Nobody mentions what happens to the hunters or their ship, but it's gone in the last shot of the station.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

Which may only mean Starfleet Intelligence swooped in, grabbed everything, and scrammed before the next scene. *chuckle* Thanks for the running commentary, Solly. [Smile] I'm still going to dig my old video tape out of whichever box it's in and watch the ep anyway, just because after all this discussion, I really want to see it now... and to see the scene I'm misremembering. I hate being wrong. [Mad]

And even if we didn't see any useful) armour or energy-absorbing bits of kit, I would have thought we at least might see the "mass-production" version of Worf's MacGyvered shield generatior during the Dominion War. But then, maybe Starfleet R&D hadn't been able to figure out how to make them effective against those nasty Jem'Hadar blasters...

--Jonah

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an idea Kira tried to use a Starfleet phaser again Tahna (not that one) while on the Runabout in the second or third episode, but I can't remember if she actually did use it.

quote:
Originally posted by Shakaar:
The Hunter's ship does appear much larger than the Defiant I feel, and it easily took on DS9, so I feel it would hold more than just a shuttle

This is early first season DS9 though. We have no idea of the relative power of the station. In fact, from what I recall the only idea we get towards how powerful the station is before the refit is in the third season "Visionary", where Sisko mentions that he has 50 (?) photon torpedoes locked on the Romulan Warbird. At this point, a Miranda-class might be more powerful. (Plus there's also the crew's relative inexperience with Gamma quadrant technology. If the Hunters had appeared in, say, season 5, there's every chance Dax would have recognised the radiation.)

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every chance the station would have blown the Hunter's ship to hell too, once the Hunters first fired.
The overall tolerance level for bullshit dropped a bit by fifth season. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, actually, they never shoot at each other at all. The hunters do their trick that lets them beam through, but O'Brien trots out the old polarity reversal and not "our shields are down." So for all we know it was only good for transporter beams. Nothing is said about the ship's weapons, or whether the station would be able to damage or destroy it, and with what ease.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps