Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Starfleet's Lost "Tech" Opportunities (Page 6)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Starfleet's Lost "Tech" Opportunities
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure I "get" the series, but the new Doctor Who had an episode presenting a far future where h. sapiens had almost entirely transitioned to a series of curious daughter species.
machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was "The End of the World", IIRC. Don't miss the iPod!
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the traditional Earth ballad that gets played on it!

That episode posits that by the year five billion, there are no "classic" human beings left:

ROSE
So, you're not the last human.

CASSANDRA
I am the last pure human. The others... mingled.

[Cassandra looks disgusted]

CASSANDRA
Oh, they call themselves 'New Humans' and 'Proto-humans' and 'Digi-humans' even 'Human-ish' but you know what I call them?

[She lowers her voice to a whisper]

CASSANDRA
Mongrels.

ROSE
Right. And you stayed behind.

CASSANDRA
I kept myself pure.

Although it's pretty absurd to think that humans would NOT have evolved in some way... Five billion years is plenty of time, even if technololgy has conquered most pressure for natural evolution.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Agreed- really, we've never seen any sci-fi show/movie that deals with what humans might become, rather it's usually how humans have remained the same (or worse) despite the passage of time and incredible technology advances.

I remember one show that dealt with little grey men in UFO's. Its premise turned out to be that humans will BECOME the little grey men and have to travel back in time to this era to harvest genetic material to allow them to reproduce. So I guess we're dealing with Extra-Temporals instead of Etra-Terrestrials.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It should be pointed out that, in that "Doctor Who" episode, the "last pure human" is actually a big sheet of skin and veins stretched over a rectangular frame, with eyes and a mouth.
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WizArtist, I remember that. Not the name or actors for the life of me, but I do remember it.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Is that an actual novel or are you just thinking of writing something?
Could be an amazingly fun Flarite collective project....either as a seperate forum (as the unlamented Titan design forum was) or in the Starships and Tech section."

Well I meant that the DS9 Millenium Novels would be something for me to read for the month. As for a project that would be interesting...

machf
Member # 1233

quote:
Originally posted by OnToMars:
WizArtist, I remember that. Not the name or actors for the life of me, but I do remember it.

Dark something? Dark Skies, I think?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, the greys in Dark Skies were just aliens, at least as far as anyone mentioned. But aliens as future humans is a common theme in UFO circles.
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was that the pay off for that 'Taken' thingy that Spielberg paid for? I got bored with it, so I didn't watch the final episode.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mars Needs Women:
"Is that an actual novel or are you just thinking of writing something?
Could be an amazingly fun Flarite collective project....either as a seperate forum (as the unlamented Titan design forum was) or in the Starships and Tech section."

Well I meant that the DS9 Millenium Novels would be something for me to read for the month. As for a project that would be interesting...

Those are good- not exacly alternate Dominion War though- everything get's throughly fucked before the war really gets going.
Those are the books with the "Starfleet tricorder/phaser Visor" in them, BTW. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

machf
Member # 1233

quote:
Originally posted by The Ginger Beacon:
Was that the pay off for that 'Taken' thingy that Spielberg paid for? I got bored with it, so I didn't watch the final episode.

Googling a bit for UFOs "from the future" TV, it seems it may have been The 4400...
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probing further into The 4400 (ha!) I found that the abductors in question were either not shown or are not the greys. Plus the show is too recent, I think.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's older than that, I'm pretty sure. I remember watching it as a kid.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps