Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Better to kill them now and get it over with... (Page 9)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Better to kill them now and get it over with...
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The original film is much higher resolution yes, but its never been publicly available at those higher resolutions, especially not after restoration efforts.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think there would be a qualitative difference in how (un)believable the shot was.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also don't shows (didn't shows) sometimes shoot their VFX on 8 or 16mm? Which scanned at HD resolutions wouldn't hold up as well against the presumably 35mm the actors would have been shot on. I'm completely talking out my ass, though, anyone know if this is the case?

I think so long as the new FX are trying to maintain the aesthetics of the original (star placement? who does that?) and I hear even matching film grain that really I can't take issue. Honestly I'm more curious to see what they come up with. As previously stated, it would be nice to have the option to view the episodes in their original form. (Which if nothing else would be a great, 'In your face, SW fans!')

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"(Which if nothing else would be a great, 'In your face, SW fans!')"

Didn't the original theatrical versions just come out?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep. I'm hoping my copies will arrive tomorrow.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except they are not anamorphic and the film quality is all cruddy and something else technical is bad I'm sure, and I read all about it on the internet.

(But, for real, they have not done a good job with the originals I hear.)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
Li'l bit more on it all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp70DS7FBqk&eurl=

Effects look encouraging...

Mark

Wow that looks AWESOME! I love how they put things like that together.

Here is the 'original' go/example by Darren Dochterman SP? He posted a comment on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9XHmj-dPEY&mode=related&search=

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

On the subject of the Enterprise's... equipment, I was looking at some of the images on http://cloudster.com and this one seems like it might be there. Could be the light hitting the nub funny though. My outline is terrible, but it highlights what I'm seeing, even if it looks totally off.
 -

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone's compiled some more comparison shots between old and new:

http://vrrrm.com/tv/StarTrek/CGI/TOSCGI60912.php

The BoP in particular looks quite good, although even that doesn't have very good lighting. I'm starting to think the dingy lighting of the original shots really helped give them character, which these CGI replacements desperately lack.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PwpcUawjK0

Let's see if this shows up.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel so dirty.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

What is it? Youtube isn't letting me click the Confirm button.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you think they managed to track down the original Romulan BOP model? Didn't it go missing years ago?

That comparison - looks like the 'top fin' has a bit of a point at the back whereas the original version looks to go straight up - but that could be because of it being cropped off at the top.

I always thought the bird picture underneath always had a bit of a glow to it - was it supposed to?

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's an interesting Star Trek music video from Nine inch Nails.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love that video, I won't spoil it for people who haven't seen it yet, but it's one of the most touching and beautiful videos based on Star Trek that I've ever seen, and it's very well edited.

quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Do you think they managed to track down the original Romulan BOP model? Didn't it go missing years ago?

That comparison - looks like the 'top fin' has a bit of a point at the back whereas the original version looks to go straight up - but that could be because of it being cropped off at the top.

I always thought the bird picture underneath always had a bit of a glow to it - was it supposed to?

I noticed the change in the tail fin as well. It's a minor change, and I don't really have an opinion on which is better, but I'd be interested in knowing if it was an intentional change in the design, or a tiny error. As for the bird, I don't think it was supposed to glow, but we don't have many shots to go on.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps