Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Better to kill them now and get it over with... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Better to kill them now and get it over with...
Not Invented Here
Member # 1606

- posted      Profile for Not Invented Here     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If this is anything like the redone Red Dwarf episodes it won't be worth our time or their money. But there is the possibility that they won't screw up, however remote.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well let's hope they don't CUT parts of the episode like they did with Red Dwarf.

Having said that - are they going to extend episodes to allow extra footage - i.e. scenes of the Federation squaring off against the Klingons in "Errand of Mercy"? Or are they going to fit things into exisiting time-frames/episodes (again hoping they won't cut things for the sake of a pretty effects shot).

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd expect them to copy the camera angles and movements from the original shots, only making them much more realistic looking thanks to CGI. I wouldn't have thought there'd be any extra shots, only clearer or possibly better composed versions of the originals.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I expect them to take as much artistic license as they can, then an inch or mile more, making it fit their vision of the way things could have been done.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder when the first real photos from "BoT" will be available. The photo referred to on the official Star Trek webside is neither 16:9 nor is it a high def picture.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...are they going to extend episodes to allow extra footage..."

I very much doubt it. The original episodes are already longer than today's TV shows, forcing them to either be cut down or to have a smaller-than-usual number of commercials. You think that, after dumping a bunch of money into this project, they're going to want to cut back on their advertising possibilities even further?

"I'd expect them to copy the camera angles and movements from the original shots, only making them much more realistic looking thanks to CGI. I wouldn't have thought there'd be any extra shots, only clearer or possibly better composed versions of the originals."
---
"I expect them to take as much artistic license as they can, then an inch or mile more, making it fit their vision of the way things could have been done."

I don't see any reason to expect either one of those things over the other. While I would certainly like to see the latter, I would not be at all surprised by the former.

o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides the question if they extend the length of the episodes I worry about the quality of the normal, not CGI shots. On the one side there is this remastered picture from the TV broadcast with reduced noise, on the other hand Paramount did't used it for the DVD release. What use is HD when they still have a blurry picture?
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They'll remaster it and clean it up. They can do incredible things these days with high-price-range studio-quality software, even extrapolating data into holes or scratches on the surface of old film.
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, based on what I've read at SFM (besides the parts where I suck if I'm not a professional 3d artist) I'm somewhat optomistic. CBS digital has trippled their staff for this project and the guy in charge is apparently a fan.

Does this mean things will go perfectly, no, and I'm not pretending it will. But if it turns out poorly, I doubt they'll stand behind it (and may even pull the plug on the project) because if it turns out poorly, they lose money.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if they'll use the Klingon model from Trials and tribulations as the basis for the D-7.
No idea what they'll do with the RBOP- anything they do will be hated by fans that love the (oh-so-Federation-looking) TOS original.

It'd be cool to see Enterprise actually damaged externally as she gets battered in several episodes.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
I wonder if they'll use the Klingon model from Trials and tribulations as the basis for the D-7.
No idea what they'll do with the RBOP- anything they do will be hated by fans that love the (oh-so-Federation-looking) TOS original.

Well how did they go from this to this?
Romulan spy in the Federation?

You know what if this turns out to be a failure not because of the upgraded FX but because of public backlash. I don't mean hardcore fans. I mean casual viewer.

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The original script does imply that the ship is based on stolen Federation technology.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont think it does.
I think you're crazy.

crazy.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

I don't deny being crazy, but that doesn't change anything.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's true. I wish I could find some documentation, but the thread on the TrekBBS where Sir Rhosis originally posted the first-draft script excerpt is no longer in their archive.

Basically, there was some additional dialogue on the part of the outpost commander citing the resemblance of the BoP to the Starship design and raising the prospect that there could be a Romulan spy in the Federation. This played into the whole paranoia that Stiles, et al, felt toward Spock. When Wah Chang designed the BoP, he deliberately included Federation-looking elements as stipulated by the script.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps