Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Better to kill them now and get it over with... (Page 5)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Better to kill them now and get it over with...
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Without taking the time to load the Youtube clip because I'm wicked lazy, this isn't related to previous Let's Update TOS projects.

(Not to this one specifically, and not to the other that I think existed, as far as I know.)

Actually, it is related to Trek Enhanced. It's the proof of concept video that was rejected by Paramount. The older one is also on Youtube and was made at some point in the '90s. Naturally, the CGI isn't very well developed, so it's not surprising that it was also rejected.

It seems Paramount actually did something intelligent, they bided their time until CG effects were advanced enough that they could truly enhance TOS.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
I'm curious if they'll be tempted to recycle footage from Trials & Tribbleations (sp?) when they revamp Trouble with Tribbles. Will continuity geek be able to tollerate the sight of Odo in the background, or Kirk grilling O'Brian?
It'd certainly be fun to see.

That idea was brought up on SFM, and it was pointed out that it'd probably mean paying royalties to the DS9 cast, so it wouldn't happen.

Meanwhile, no royalties go to the TOS cast because they were only paid for the first three showings of each episode.

Besides, I'm not an expert on temporal mechanics, but I'd like to think that when we watch Trouble with Tribbles, it's a version of the timeline where the DS9 crew hadn't gone back in time yet.

--------------------

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, The RBoP was to be similar to the primary hull of a Connie. The idea being it was stolen tech that was used as a basis for the vessel. Perhaps the first cloak could only hide a smaller profile so they nixed the secondary hull and compacted things into the final version we see. As good an explanation/excuse as any.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hell, might as well have been a captured Fed ship like "Message in a Bottle".
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
... but now that it�s been officially announced, I can say that although I�m not involved in it in any official capacity, they have my support and good wishes.
Unless your point is that somebody suggested the general idea once and now Paramount is doing it, but I took the original question to be "Is this that one project?"
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You assumed correctly regarding my original question. (I met Daren Dochterman one time. He was really cool.)
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Newish article on startrek.com about the project, including some video.
http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/news/article/25055.html

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really shouldn't have posted the article at SFM. I'm really sick and tired of hearing how everyone's Enterprise model is better than the one they're using.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a brief glimpse of a computer screen that showed the RBOP in its original TOS form...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One wonders if they will do warp streaks.

The little "Balance of Terror" snippet shows the original TOS style of fuzzy dots of light, but we can't be sure whether the ship is at warp or impulse during the wedding scene. And "In a Mirror, Darkly" did streaks, right?

In any case, it's nice to see that the RBoP stays the same (meaning that the KBC does, too, despite other possible interpretations of the article text).

Timo Saloniemi

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

In a Mirror, Darkly did do streaks, but this is being handled by a compleatly different group of people.

Interestingly though, it looks like they corrected the sliding into frame the ship originally did while still keeping the basic look the same. The Enterprise now appears to fly into frame, then turn towards us.

Johnny
Member # 878

There are a few more glimpses of the BoP in this clip

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aK34BEuUj38

I'm really impressed by the remastering of the old film. I suppose it was bound to look good, but it still surprised me how much more crisp and clear it looked, even on such a low quality video.

Looks like they're revamping the shots with the shuttle as well. Can't wait to see how the Enterprise shuttlebay looks. Also, it seems they're definitely going to be showing the Antares.

The best part of that video is actually when Eugene Roddenberry is drowned out by arguing as he shouts "Can't we all just get along?!"

--------------------

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

Had anyone ever noticed this detail on the Enterprise before?
http://www.redspar.com/pics/E2.jpg
Someone on TrekBBS pointed it out on the new model and questioned it. I thought it was odd too, until someone else posted this:
https://webspace.utexas.edu/gatesrr/www/emitter.jpg

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That looks extremely rude.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the cover of that Nirvana album again!

Still, the notion that the CG guys went to THIS much detail - hell, I've certainly never noticed this copulation limb before - that bodes well for the project. I certainly hope that the maneuvering they put into the project will be in line with how we're expecting a Connie to move!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps