Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » BORG SPACE (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: BORG SPACE
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought that Transwarp was the SuperGoFast warp drive. I think Locutus let the Enterprise keep up.

------------------
Predict the unpredictable, but how do you unpredict the unpredictable?

DARKSTAR
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The DS9 Tech manual say that the Defiant can sustain warp 9.982 for 12 hours and warp 9 is it's cruising speed. The Borg were using the warpage in BOBW as the Enterprise was pursing them across Federation Space and that the Enterprise kept following them only for 12 hours and then dropped to impulse and the Borg kept on going at warp. The speed in Scorpion IandII I think was warp 9.9 which Voyager can easily sustain but only for a limited time ie 3 days and then drop to impulse.
IP: Logged
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Warpage? That's a new one. Can you have gravy on the side?

The DS9TM is not good reference-material, or so I've been told.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Getting back to the Borg Space issue for a moment, I recently saw the Voyager episode "Course:Oblivion" (I think that's the name), where the chromo duplicate of Voyager is nearing the alpha q, and I noticed there was a fairly good map of the galaxy in the astrometrics lab. If someone could get a hold of the screenshot it might make it easier to estimate the size of Borg space.

------------------
"Investigator of skullduggery,though quite lenient on buggery"

DARKSTAR
Ex-Member

The Voyager in Course:Obvilion was travelling @ warp 9.975+ and seemed to be covering thousands of lights years in a matter of weeks! We can say that with the modifications to it's warp drive, It didn't do EPISODES:-
Night
Hope and Fear
Timeless
Dark Frontier
Dragons Teeth
The Voyager Conspiracy
I can say that this Voyager got to within 15,000 (52,370 from Class Y planet where it was created) (2 years@our Voyager maximum warp) light years of Earth Before turning Back. And as it got closer to Our Voyager current posiston cruising along @warp 6.2(30,000+ light years from Earth)

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See, see! I told you so! Borg cubes don't have transwarp drives. Or else Janeway would have taken one already. She had lot of opportunies like the Cube in Unity, or the Scorpion 15-Cube scrapheap.

Maybe Cubes have to much mass or something to remain in a slipstream. That can also explain why the Borg also have smaller ships.

------------------
Buffy: "See, this is a school. And we have students and they check out books and then they learn things."
Giles: "I was beginning to suspect that was a myth."
- Buffy: The Vampire Slayer

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only problem is that the Borg rocketted away from the Enterprise right after capturing Picard at Warp 9.6. He wasn't Locutus at this time. There was no reason in the collectives mind to allow the Enterprise to keep up (they'd got what they wanted), so the only reason the Borg cube stayed at warp 9.6 is either that's it's maximum speed, or that's it most "efficient" speed.

Transwarp as in Excelsior and ParisFish is SuperGoFaster Warp drive. The Borg use Transwarp conduits, which are more like a series of mini wormholes (or hyperspace).

What is the top speed the Borg have been shown to fly at in normal warp, on screen, and in dialogue?

------------------
"I am in one of those rare periods of life where I am convinced I am a sexy devil."- Simon "Sol System" Sizer

DARKSTAR
Ex-Member

I think Borg Cubes do have transwarp coils and are capable of entering transwarp. The reason Janeway didn't steal any in Scorpion ptI is that the crew didn't know where they are When Seven came aboard she had the information to say where the transwarp coils are. Borg Cubes are the Borg's frontline ships and it would be rediculous to only equip Borg Sphere's (with limited defenses)with transwarp coils. The Borg have a vast area under their control which with warp technology would take years to cross-hence transwarp.
When Voyager used the transwarp coil in Dark Frontier she was travelling @warp 9.9999+(transwarp 4) and crossed 20,000 light years in 12 hours. Borg Cubes due to their huge size are stuck towards the lower end of transwarp 5 (ie able to cross 7000 light years in a year=BOBW)(transwarp 2.5) Voyager's maximum warp allow it to cross 6000 light years in a year but this is nowhere near transwarp and plus they're would be restriction on her engines and fuel supllies Voyager was using Warp 6.2 up until Scorpion but after Borg modifications in Scorpion increased to Warp 8(even this was used only when neccesary. Voyager used warp 6.5 afterwards so it would get clear of Borg Space.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
she was travelling @warp 9.9999+(transwarp 4)

The Norway Class is a diplomatic cruiser.

The Akira Class is from 2374.

The Sovereign Class is the replacement for the Galaxy class.

------------------
"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world." - Dave Barry

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this just completely random information, UM, or is there a point in here somewhere?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Rated 7 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. On both counts.

------------------
"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world." - Dave Barry

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Voyager's maximum warp allow it to cross 6000 light years in a year but this is nowhere near transwarp and plus they're would be restriction on her engines and fuel supllies Voyager was using Warp 6.2 up until Scorpion but after Borg modifications in Scorpion increased to Warp 8(even this was used only when neccesary.

I remember when I was younger and still in school, there was this wonderful class I took called English. In this class, I learned all sorts of wonderful things like grammar, punctuation, spelling, run-on sentences, diction, and most importantly, coherency. I sure do miss that class.

------------------
Homer: "I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me, Superman!"

[This message has been edited by Dukhat (edited November 30, 2000).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now, now, people, let's not argue about who spelled who.

------------------
What did it mean to you
An early chat with death
To pull your body for a moment from your soul
--
Camper Van Beethoven
Read chapter TWO of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Now with 30% more plot.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. Let us still argue over my VERY IMPORTANT POINT about why, if the Borg can do Warp 9.9999fish999, why'd they only do warp 9.6 in BoBW?

------------------
"I am in one of those rare periods of life where I am convinced I am a sexy devil."- Simon "Sol System" Sizer

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because Borg CUBES don't have transwarp capability

------------------
Buffy: "See, this is a school. And we have students and they check out books and then they learn things."
Giles: "I was beginning to suspect that was a myth."
- Buffy: The Vampire Slayer

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps