Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » BORG SPACE (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: BORG SPACE
DARKSTAR
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Borg Cubes Do Have a low Transwarp cababilty.

How Come the Borg Cube in BOBW manage to cross 7000 light years in a year at standard warp 9.6?
This journey at that speed would have taken 3.5 years (hence Picard's comment's about them having a power source superioror to our own-BOBW pt 1.)

Borg Sphere's have a higher transwarp ability and can cross distances of thousands of light years in a few hours.
Voyager is small enough to cross 20,000 light years in 12 hours.
Look at the size of Lore's ship in TNG"Descent I&II" that is bigger then a standard Borg Cube and it entered Transwarp! The Enterprise crossed 60,000 light years after it in a few hours

Boo to you who think Borg Cube don't have transwarp!!

IP: Logged
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Darkstar: Sure, but that's still no proof that Cubes do have transwarp.

Now let me thrash my own theory:
In Scorpion Harry set the scanners to look for transwarp signatures. He found 15 Cubes at about 5 lightyears or so, they overtook Voyager in mere minutes.

But they were visible in normal space...

Also the Borg have 2 types of Transwarp:
1: A corridor on a fixed location (look at the episode where Isheb is discovered as having the pathogen).
2: A drive (Spheres, and Queen's Yacht).

------------------
Buffy: "See, this is a school. And we have students and they check out books and then they learn things."
Giles: "I was beginning to suspect that was a myth."
- Buffy: The Vampire Slayer

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
::gets booed, pulls out BFG, annihilates thread::

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Rated 7 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You will be assimilated, resistance is futile!

------------------
Buffy: "See, this is a school. And we have students and they check out books and then they learn things."
Giles: "I was beginning to suspect that was a myth."
- Buffy: The Vampire Slayer

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any ship with the least bit of adaptability can enter a transwarp conduit, having an independent drive is another thing.
Could the bobbie-cube have made the major part of the journey by preset conduit, dropping it a distance from the target, then used a standard drive for manouverability?

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

warbird5
Ex-Member

The Enterprise never traveled 60,000 light yrs in descent, the actual figure is much smaller
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's quite possible that the conduit from "Descent" was the used by the cube in BoBW.

Also, I'd go so far as to give the Borg three kinds of transwarp, though the third is a little iffy.

------------------
What did it mean to you
An early chat with death
To pull your body for a moment from your soul
--
Camper Van Beethoven
Read chapter TWO of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Now with 30% more plot.

[This message has been edited by Sol System (edited December 01, 2000).]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Transwarp is basically just a general term for anything faster than warp, no matter how it works, isn't it?

------------------
"You know, you--you let a wolf save your life, they make you pay and pay and pay..."
- Fraser, "due South"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. (Otherwise why co-axial warp or the quantum slipstream?)

------------------
What did it mean to you
An early chat with death
To pull your body for a moment from your soul
--
Camper Van Beethoven
Read chapter TWO of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Now with 30% more plot.

DARKSTAR
Ex-Member

Yes!

Sorry I Just lost my chain of thought! The Enterprise crossed 50,000+ light years in Descent. Borg Cubes have the abilty to open transwarp conduits to get to specific locations(ie J-25 to Federation space, I think there was more then one Borg Cube there)then coast in on normal warp(however long it takes). In BOBW the fact the Borg Cube was travelling @ warp 9.6 proves nothing but the fact it was the most "efficient" speed for them to use(it wasn't like they were in a rush,it toke 8+ days to get from the border to Earth).

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But...if that was the most "efficient" speed, why were they travelling at warp 9.3 (I think) when the Enterprise first detected them? Hmm?

Where'd the 8 days figure come from? Was that Hanson saying how long ago the, er, ship I can't remember had detected a "cube shaped" ship? (Jeez, don't these Starfleet captains pay attention to anything? Starfleet had been 'slightly worried' about the Borg for over a year, and he still didn't recognise them?).

------------------
"I am in one of those rare periods of life where I am convinced I am a sexy devil."- Simon "Sol System" Sizer

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Adm. Hanson says Starfleet help is six days away when he relays the news of the recent destruction of the Lalo. After that, Picard moves to intercept and we basically lose the sense of time. The time it took Picard to intercept was not given, nor the time the Earthward trip eventually took.

One could say that the trip towards Earth must have taken 6+ days, since it was performed by the Enterprise, a Starfleet ship - and Starfleet was supposed to be capable of spanning the trip in 6 days at best. And while the E-D did have to abandon the chase very soon because she couldn't maintain the necessary high warp (probably not more than a couple of hours), eventually the ship did catch up with the Borg before they reached Earth.

BTWN, the Lalo seemed to be a freighter (at least she was on a freight run), so perhaps the captain wasn't quite as well informed about potential future threats as a warship captain might have been.

Timo Saloniemi

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the Enterprise gave up chase because it had just fired it's Big Blue Beam, and had to pause for repairs. It managed to catch up to the Borg because they stopped before they reached Earth.

------------------
"I am in one of those rare periods of life where I am convinced I am a sexy devil."- Simon "Sol System" Sizer

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gee, look, 50 of 10,000, the biggest ball of twine in the galaxy, lets take a picture of you and the boys assimilating it.

Why'd they stop?

------------------
Well, it's done, yes, the deed is done.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, all those ships flying about at Wolf 359 ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 7.5 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
Shop Smart -- Shop "S"-Mart

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps