Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » $$$ -- Shockwave, Part 2 -- Spoilers (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: $$$ -- Shockwave, Part 2 -- Spoilers
Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$

Anyone else find the part about Daniels learning time travel specifics in high school alarming? Considering how easily you can royally screw up the timeline if you're not careful, isn't that like giving high school students nowadays a course on building H-bombs?

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or he could have just looked it up on the Galactic Wide Web.....
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it would make sense, IF the temporal police had shielding, and thus could undo any changes. Which they should have. But didn't. Perhaps the temporal shielding only withstands temporal events of a certain magnitude, and an eight-century explosion was too much for them to handle? And the publicly available time travel devices aren't powerful enough to reach back that far?

Or maybe "high school" has a different definition in 1100 years, and he was actually thirty and well-trained at the time...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daniels was not real specific in his description. Maybe the only high schoolers who had access to the temporal studies classroom were those on the Super Wesley Crusher From the 31st Century advanced placement with honors transcript. And, for some protection, maybe they use something similar to the second brake pedal used in drivers' education vehicles.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Sorak
Member # 874

- posted      Profile for Sorak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That is to say, we are to believe that the mission continues with T'Pol and Phlox remaining aboard thanks to an agreement between Starfleet and the Vulcans. However, they didn't say as much in the episode. We're to assume it. I think. Definitely should have been clearer.

Why bother??? Sci-fi shows these days are getting more intellectual...um...intullectu...they are getting smarter. [Big Grin]

Seriously, they make you think. And that's good in any kind of program. Watching TV isn't about staring at the screen watching the "pretty visual effects" and guessing the entire plot 10 minutes into the program! Personally, I like it when they keep you guessing.

--------------------
Petty Officer 1st Class Sorak
Chief Tactical Officer
USS Gemini NCC-74680
Task Force 44
Task Group 3
Bravo Fleet

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I don't.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Woodside Kid:
Anyone else find the part about Daniels learning time travel specifics in high school alarming? Considering how easily you can royally screw up the timeline if you're not careful, isn't that like giving high school students nowadays a course on building H-bombs?

I don't know which high school or when you went to high school--- but I learned who Einstein was in 2nd grade, I had the history of the A-Bomb by 5th... by 7th grade I was not only capable of learning about the Manhattan project but I would also have been able to grasp some of the science they were using at the time. Now that I'm in 12th grade, I can watch a PBS special on the Manhattan project and never get lost.

As the massive stockpiles of nuclear weapons that the US and USSR built during the cold war testifies to... building an H-bomb is not that hard, the hard part was drudging through the theoretical stuff and then getting your hands on certain materials [Uranium 238 for example was a great worry during the Manhattan project].

Now having said all that, it is quite a bit impossible to gather all the pieces to build an H-bomb. The Uranium [or if you want a really big boom, Plutonium] alone requires a great amount of facilities to produce. This is what prevents a high schooler who knows about the H-bomb and pretty much all of it's particulars [I don't, just in case you got that impression] from building one.

--- However, your point about Daniels was taken. I do agree that it was odd they would give him knowledge like that when he had the ability to act upon it, especially with something as important as the timeline at risk. [The way he said it also made it seem that he scared the crap out of a few people in the past with that giant floating head deal.] Perhaps he didn't have the ability to change the timeline at all, maybe we just read into it too much and there was something that prevented such damage?

Headline: Temporal beat cops prevent young person from committing acts of Temporal graffiti.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's always possible that Daniels was just being a smart ass.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Temporal Graffitti: Writing "Kilroy will have been here" on the newly-built Great Pyramid.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seven year old kids are doing calculus in the Star Trek universe. Theoretical temporal mechanics, is, after all, all math, and it shouldn't be too hard for high school students. Perhaps it is even considered to be part of a well-rounded education, much like physics is today.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This episode, specifically the temporal cold war stuff, gave me a real early X-Files vibe. Consider, we still have no idea whether that planet in the future was Earth, or "Earth as we know it." The absence of Mr. Hogan's fuzzy visage is never explained. Now, these are all the things that made me eagerly anticpate the next episode of The X-Files in, say, 1995. But they were also the things that made me unhappy and unsatisfied in 2001. So, I don't know, I guess what I'm saying is that we should maybe get a little in the way of facts here. Not many, and not at all at once, to be sure. But, you know, maybe something. This season. Yes.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hogan? Do you mean that the Stalag 13 gang is behind the Temporal Cold War?

...I suppose you're going to say now that you meant "Mr. Horan," the actor who plays Future Guy. [Razz]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, basically we as the unintelligent, moronic average Star Trek viewer (at least according to TPTB), must logically take everything that Daniels says at face value. Therefore:

1. The planet Daniels took Archer was the 31st century Earth.

2. This Earth was not the same Earth Daniels originated from, but rather the result of his tampering with the timeline.

3. This new 31st century Earth has been basically unchanged since the 22nd century; that is, destroyed.

4. This destruction took place after 2151, but before the founding of the Federation in 2161. It is unclear who destroyed Earth, but from what we know, my guess would be the Romulans, as I'm guessing that FutureGuy is a Romulan. We don't know why FG couldn't be contacted, but it could possibly go along with the changed timeline. It is also possible that if he IS a Romulan, then the changed timeline prevented him from needing to muck about in the 22nd century timeline in the first place, which was why Silik couldn't contact him. So in essence, Daniels unwittingly did FG's work for him.

5. We don't know if this Earth reverted back to "normal" once Archer returned to the 22nd century, but I'm pretty sure it did. We also don't know if Silik will be contacted by FG again, especially since he's been captured.

6. It's also possible that everything I've said here is totally wrong.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

ubermetroid
Member # 729

- posted      Profile for ubermetroid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could be the Romulans by the way that Archer was told not to read the book about the Romulans...

--------------------
"That's the problem with nature. Something is always stinging you or oozing mucous on you. lets go watch tv." - Calvin & Hobbes

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
gee whiz, really?
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps