Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » $$$ -- Shockwave, Part 2 -- Spoilers (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: $$$ -- Shockwave, Part 2 -- Spoilers
Warbadden Hawkins
Member # 905

- posted      Profile for Warbadden Hawkins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
its not violating any copyright laws unless i charge for a copy.... as long as the copy is for backup and personell viewing .... but you wouldnt understand that stuff....

--------------------
Captain Hawkins
USS Delphronta

BTW [,.??,;,"",' the, it, outran.]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Akin to your lack of understanding of english?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The fair use law is pretty vague...
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Warbadden Hawkins:
its not violating any copyright laws unless i charge for a copy.... as long as the copy is for backup and personell viewing .... but you wouldnt understand that stuff....

That's true. But you were also advocating the use of file-sharing networks, in which one person makes one recording and distributes it to many people. That is NOT "fair use."

Also, I could mention the DMCA, but that would be a Flameboard topic. [Wink] (Note: I do not approve of the DMCA, but it's still a law at the moment.)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

i don't even understand what you just said.
Warbadden Hawkins
Member # 905

- posted      Profile for Warbadden Hawkins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im sorry but I did not say that this had to be downloaded off of a file sharing network. This could be merely downloaded off of a persons FTP site with a exclusive username and password. This obviously has to be a person you kow and someone that knows how to capture video and use divx encoding.
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holy crap you are the Ub�r1337. Move over, Mitnick.
Warbadden Hawkins
Member # 905

only 12 days till mitnick is truely free

--------------------
Captain Hawkins
USS Delphronta

Member # 239

Truly, even.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
no offense but what specific country do you live in psy..... wouldnt it be faster to have someone capture and encode a episode so you could dl it, rather than wait 3 and a half months.... even to dl that on dial up wouldnt take 4 months...

Except, y'know, it would look shit.

I'm obviously in the crazy catagory here of realising that you only get one first time at watching anything, and not wanting that first time to be plagued by having to endure viewing through a tiny window at a shoddy frame rate.

Also, y'know, not that bothered. Really. At all. I can quite happily wait. On the plus side, we now get a new episode every week, with no breaks, so we'll be catching up.

quote:

Not to sound crazy, but if you make a copy in order to give to someone else surely it's not "personell viewing".

Personally, I view it on about the same level as getting someone to tape the episode and post it to me. Illegal, but not in a way that anyone cares about.

But as I said, I'm not bothered. I didn't watch The Two Towers in a tiny window on my display, and I can quite happily wait a couple of months for Enterprise.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I'm obviously in the crazy catagory here of realising that you only get one first time at watching anything, and not wanting that first time to be plagued by having to endure viewing through a tiny window at a shoddy frame rate."

No.

Movies like AotC and FotR have to be SEEN to be believed. There's just no substitute for that silver screen eXPerience factor.

But.

When it comes to run-of-the-mill episodes of a so-so TV show (honestly, I don't find Enterprise quite as invigorating as, say, DS9, but it's still Trek, so I keep up as a matter of course), I can live with poorer image quality and jerky framerates*.

*Which, surprisingly, aren't.

Warbadden Hawkins
Member # 905

Wow for the first time ever I have 1 person that nearly aggrees with me!!!

Psy I also agree with you that their is a "thing" about watching somthing for the first time. But Still I can capture enterprise at a higher frame rate than its shown from my cable company. 1hr of 32 fps at 640x 480 with nearly no errors is about 600mb. Unless your box is not fast enough to play the video I have to disagree that captureed video is worse quality. Unless of course you get the ripped copy from someone who doesnt know how to use thier software!!

[ January 10, 2003, 11:13: Message edited by: Warbadden Hawkins ]

--------------------
Captain Hawkins
USS Delphronta

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Downloading a 600mb file would take a fair amount of time on a 56K modem though. And, to be honest, I have better things to do.

(Okay, that's a lie. But still, something.)

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
He probably let Silik go for the same reason he never asked the Ferengi what they were called.

Of course, we have yet to figure out what that reason was...

Correct me if I am wrong, but has anyone stopped to think that in "Silent Enemy" the name of the alien attacking Enterprise was not mentioned? Since this is true, why is it that no one bitches about this? I mean really...if WE didnt know the ferengi werent the ferengi wouldnt they just we another 'silent enemy' so to say? Anyone see what I am saying?

Granted I would have preferred to NOT see the ferengi in Enterprise as well, I think those actors could have easily been made to be, perhaps, Tellerites or something (trade in the elephant ears for a pig snout) and that would have at least not betrayed the feelings of the viewers and the semi-pre-established Ferengi first contact (Battle of Maxia? vs. Enterprise? vs. Roswell, NM?).

Otherwise I do believe I have a valid point here when I say that just because WE know the ferengi are the ferengi, doesnt mean that the enterprise crew have to know. Would "silent enemy" really have been any different if those were really Species 8472??

Which is another thing...Janeway never bothered to ask their name either, even when they discovered Chakotay he identified them as 8472 and they never bothered to correct him. I believe I have made my point about name calling. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But Archer talked to the Ferengi. He basically had them as prisoners for a time. He should have asked who they were, so he could put it in his report to Starfleet. It was sloppy writing used to make sure humans still didn't associate the name "Ferengi" w/ big ears, big heads, and short statures until TNG.

As for Janeway and Species 8472, she probably didn't ask their names because they already had a name in her mind: "Species 8472". Archer, on the other hand, didn't have anything to call the Ferengi, so he should have thought to ask.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps