Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » D-7 battlecruiser $Prophecy$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: D-7 battlecruiser $Prophecy$
Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In "Prophecy" Tuvok calls the K't'inga a D-7 Class cruiser. Paris comments that they were retired decades ago.

------------------
"I tried once to be a history teacher, but I saw no future in it."

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because it was, even with my tiny TV I noticed the disc/ring shaped housing on the bridge, without the odd superstructure on it as well. The best scene to notice it on was when the D7 flew up behind Voyager, a good clean shot, it has a smooth bridge sphere with the oddball ring housing.

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I won't see this episode for at least a year what is the name and class of the klingon ship. I would appreciate it very much so i can update my ship records.

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ship was not given a name. Tuvok specified that it was a D-7, which I believe is the first time the term has been spoken in an episode. I couldn't really tell if it was the model Greg Jein made for "Trials and Tribble-ations," but if it was, then it would definitely be a D-7.

------------------

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So this was a smooth, TOS-style Klingon, not the model kit parts-encrusted ship built for ST:TMP? I thought D7 and K'tinga were different ships: D7 in TOS, K'Tinga in ST:TMP?

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looked smooth to me....

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't "D7" said on-screen in Trials and Tribble-ations?

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What would that then make those Klingon ships in DS9... K'tingas?

------------------
"This is cooling, faster than I can..." Tori Amos "Cooling"

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ship Jein built was a hybrid, if you will. It was more detailed than the TOS model, but less detailed than the Motion Picture model. If Koloth's ship was referred to as a D-7, then the model they used in this episode could have been the same one. That would also mean that the Jein model is NOT a K'Tinga, and the TMP model IS.

There were no real closeups of the model in the episode, so as of now I can't say which model was used.

------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One could say that there are at least four distinct versions of the battlecruiser:

1) The smooth TOS ship first seen in "Elaan of Troyius" (or "The Enterprise Incident", depending on airing order), never really named one way or the other (but Shatner and Nimoy apparently joked something about it being a D-7).

2) The more detailed Jein take on a TOS-era, explicitly called a D-7.

3) The smooth cartoon version with a protruding deflector and other differences, apparently called the D-5 (since Kor in DS9 said his old ship Klothos was of D-5 class, and he flew a ship named Klothos in TAS).

4) The upgraded version seen in TMP and other TOS movies, as well as in TNG and non-time-travel-DS9, apparently named K't'inga (but which episode actually uses this name?).

Of course, one could say that 1) and 2) are the same thing, and blame the low resolution of 2260s visual recorders for the smoothness of 1).

One could also assign D-designations to those ships that do not have them yet. If the TAS ship was a D-5 and the "Tribble-ations" ship was a D-7, then perhaps the TOS smooth ship was a D-6? And perhaps the K't'inga is a D-8, D-9, D-10, D-11..? It should probably precede D-12, though, since that designation was given in "Generations" to a largish BoP which would seem to have been introduced only after we saw K't'ingas for the first time.

Timo Saloniemi

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excuse me, but we are talking about MODELS in a Voyager ep.!? I thought the SFX in VOY are all done in CGI nowadays?

And as for Trials - didn't they use CGI there as well? Or did they really build models of the Enterprise, the Klingon ship and K7 space station?

------------------
RIMMER [as Ace]: "Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas."

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"T&T" was done completely with models, AFAIK. At least models were built for all the three vehicles seen.

It's difficult to say what the Voyager standard practices are, but I believe they would use models whenever those happened to already exist (as they do for the Klingon ship and for the Voyager herself). Only all-new designs would be done in pure CGI. It's probably still cheaper and/or faster to film things that way, unless the ships are supposed to perform complex space ballet or explode into detailed pieces.

Timo Saloniemi

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Umm, I saw Trials & Tribble-ations and to me, the K-7 station and the Enterprise looked, well, computer generated. Are you positive that they built models for that episode? Why would they go through the expense of building a new original E model, or a K-7 model if they could do it on the computer? I think it would be less costly that way. And didn't they use some completely CGI sequences of the E-B in Generations? That sort of takes apart the "if they have models they'll use 'em," theory. I also believe they do CGI work of Voyager herself for certain scenes in episodes.
Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pictures exist at The IDIC Page (don't know the URL offhand but you can search for it) of all the models from "Trials", proving that the physical models were actually built.

You have to remember that DS9 didn't use a lot of CGI before the war-arc in season 6. The only CGI models were a runabout, a Jem'Hadar attack ship, and the Defiant, and even these were used rarely compared to their physical equivalents. The fleet shot at the end of "A Call to Arms" was still pretty much all-model. The reason? I don't know, except that DS9 was originally envisioned as a model-show, which probably remained a tradition until the more complicated fleet shots in seasons 6 and 7 demanded a change in strategy, from all-model to all-CGI. It is also possible that the producers still didn't feel that CGI was up to it at that time.

Boris

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

When I originally saw "T&T" I thought the ships and the station were computer-generated as well, but Timo is right: they were physical models. The fact that everyone thought the models were CGI is attributed to Greg Jein's modeling skills. Jein also seems to build his models because he wants to, not because they are actually needed or that he's getting a whole lot of money to do it. Sure, they could have made CGI models, but Jein probably said something to the effect of, "I really want to build these models, and although the money and man-hours for another person to do it would be higher than making them CGI, I'll do it for peanuts."

------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps