Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » how is this door suppose to open?-in sickbay (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: how is this door suppose to open?-in sickbay
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love this tread!

------------------
To know a thing well, know its limits. Only when pushed beyond its tolerances will true nature be seen.
The Amtal Rule (Dune)
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it opens like a door like on a wardrobe but inwards.
IP: Logged
Nonsuch
Ex-Member

perhaps the right side only opens a little bit, requiring a relatively thin chief medical officer.

------------------
And one day we will die
And our ashes will fly from the aeroplane over the sea
But for now we are young
Let us lay in the sun
And count every beautiful thing we can see
Love to be
In the arms of all I'm keeping here with me

- Jeff Magnum

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps he keeps the morphine there, and has welded it shut just to show'em!

(like the "Guardian Angels" that carries a butterfly-knife covered by sticky-tape, so that it isn't considered a weapon!)

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My guess is that it either swings open or curves.

I don't recall seeing it in use, nor ever noticed it before. It's pretty bad space filler though. Since the doors require two people pulling them open at the sides I'm not sure how'd they do it.

------------------
"Let me ask you something, Mr. Garibaldi, a purely philosophical question. On a scale of 1 to 10, how stupid do you think I am anyway?" - Bester
Federation Starship Datalink: Brand new look, fresh minty scent, same great taste!

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
they probably just beam inside themselves

the fancy doors are there probably just to trick the hostile aliens that takeover the ship every week or two.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh come on! If they can make mall-doors open by themselves, they should be able to scale it down and put it on any door.
When Nimoy guest starred in "Simpsons", he once said, like, "when I worked on Trek, they actually had two guys that pulled the doors open everytime we passed."
I think that implies that they have moved on in the door-departement. But I can't confirm it as I don't know anything about Trek set design.

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. They now have ONE guy who opens the doors. With a hand crank or something similar.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited April 04, 2001).]

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't we already been over this? IIRC, they use a pulley system to open the doors, requiring only one person to operate them. As I have said, I seem to remember this from the Star Trek episode of Levar Burton's Reading Rainbow. (As I have also said, don't laugh!)

On that particular set of doors though. Whew. Who designed that set? Didn't they see the problem there when they began building it? Or maybe they look at it the way my high school's stage advisor looks at it:
"Hell, the cast ain't usin' it, and it's not like anyone's going to notice unless they look hard."

Unfortunately, we nitpickers look REALLY hard.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe we can all hope that it would disappear in the next episode and be replace by a computer monitor or something...

------------------
"When I said to get involved in the gay community, I didn't mean to sleep with everyone in it."
Michael_T

Zor Prime
Ex-Member

There was also an episode of Primetime Live back in 89 or 90 that showed the pully deal.
And I think you cn catch it also in some of the TOS bloopers.

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the "25th Anniversary Special" hosted by Shatner and Nimoy, they showed several bloopers of TOS where the cast were bumping into doors that were not opened in time!

------------------
Kryten: Pub? - Ah yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve
advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of
fermented vegetable drinks. - Red Dwarf "Timeslides"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember that. That blooper show was better than most fo the episodes :0)

------------------
"The sons of the Prophet were valiant and bold,
And quite unacustomed to fear.
But, of all, the most reckless, or so I am told,
Was Abdulah Boul Boul Ameer."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Invading Borg [Walking to door]: You will be assimil-OOFF!! Fucking set designers!

------------------
At that point, McDonald fired his gun three times in the air to emphasize his point. The crowd, estimated at 350,000, loudly cheered the new candidate.

"Let me make this clear: I am the law! I am your ruler! And you will have fries with that, motherf*cker!"

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that's just what I thought!!
;-)

------------------
Kryten: Pub? - Ah yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve
advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of
fermented vegetable drinks. - Red Dwarf "Timeslides"

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps