Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » how is this door suppose to open?-in sickbay (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: how is this door suppose to open?-in sickbay
Tech Sergeant Chen
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Tech Sergeant Chen         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
8472 already brought up the possibility of a bifold door.

------------------
Never give up. Never surrender.

[This message has been edited by Tech Sergeant Chen (edited April 06, 2001).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's an interesting Q:

On TNG, where do the interior turbolift doors go?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Subspace.

------------------
"Tony Blair like me uses Colgate"
-George W. Bush on forging new Anglo-American ties

Commander Dan
Member # 558

- posted      Profile for Commander Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings,

Has anyone considered that the infamous Voyager Sickbay door slides entirely to the left? Please consider the following:

The panel on the right slides LEFT and just behind the left-side panel. (Granted, the right-side panel would have to move �back� a tad before sliding over to the left.)

Next, both doors, now �back to back,� would slide even further to the left, moving entirely into the left-side wall and out of sight.

This would, presumably, occur within a second or so�

Dan

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I was meaning about solid v non-solid... that they are a full on Solid door when CLOSED, but when they 'slide' open - they just don't stay as a door inside the wall, but they collapse in on themselves into the frame of the door!?!

------------------
Homer: I'm gonna miss Springfield. This town's been awfully good to us.
Bart: No, it hasn't, Dad. That's why we're leaving.
Homer: Oh, yeah. [pokes his head out the window] So long, Stinktown!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think any of those explanations work. Look, it's one thing to wonder if the doors collapse in on themselves when they open and what-not, but c'mon: let's just face reality. Why would Voyager's designers put in one set of doors that folds in one way when the others all fold in a different way?

It's a set goof. Those doors aren't functional on the set, they exist as "dressing." It's a goof, the designer should be forced to put false doors in his own home.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's probably one of those 'Let's see if any of the fans out there will notice!" situations, like with the TOS communicator wallpanels on the Amargosa Observatory.

------------------
"To all Harry-Fans: I meant no disrespect against Harry and have nothing against the stupid little creature. Thanks and enjoy the show."
Nimrod, 04-04-01.

---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sarge: Oh... So THAT'S what 'bifold door' means... Got it.

As for the turbolift doors, they go with the outer doors into the walls.

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

So ... when the turbolift stops, both sets of doors slide into the wall? When the turbolift moves, the interior set somehow latches onto the turbolift and carries on?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not unheard of. The TMP et. al. Travel Pod does exactly the same thing - and it's capable of free-flight.

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps that wall (in Sickbay) is seeded with nanotech factories, and the door doesn't open and close so much as it is extruded when closed and consumed when open.

------------------
Not even a god can deny that I have squared the circle of a static Earth and cubed the Earth sphere by rotating it once to a dynamic Time or Life Cube.
--
Gene Ray
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" Or don't. You know, whatever.

Tech Sergeant Chen
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Tech Sergeant Chen         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where the turbolift doors go is no different from how elevator doors work today. There's a more serious problem than that, though. If the car is round and the shaft is close-fitting as seen in Disaster, how do you put in a flat door? Can't do it without flattening a side, unless you want to argue that turbolift doors are a foot thick, and we know they're not.

------------------
Never give up. Never surrender.

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, this is how I have made turbolift doors work in my own drawings, even though it doesn't really coincide with how the doors work on the show. The external set of doors slide into the wall of whatever deck they're on. I have made the internal doors slide into pockets in the wall of the turbocar. Now the reason this doesn't match what we see on screen is because it makes the inner doors curved. On screen, the'yre flat. But it really isn't practical any other way.
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the doors in the turbolifts are holographic...along with that door in Voyager's sickbay.

But returning to that infamous door, perhaps it slides like the Defiant doors. Granted the doors look like they split in half, could slide to the side.

I hope it's not an inside joke with the set designer though...

------------------
"When I said to get involved in the gay community, I didn't mean to sleep with everyone in it."
Michael_T

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe there's a mini pattern buffer under the floor, and the door is just beamed out, held in suspension, then beamed back...

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps