Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » If you could get Paramount to CGI a model... (Page 11)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: If you could get Paramount to CGI a model...
Mojo
Member # 536

- posted      Profile for Mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where is this "don't tell anyone I told you this letter" from Doug Drexler I've heard mentioned??

Mojo

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could the CGI E-D be off the 6 footer because - the 6 footer was used in Generations, and this was the first time they used a CGI E-D... (So it would have had to have matched the model.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gosh, did I pour gasoline into a flame, just because the Ent-A is not my favorite starship? [Wink]
Don't get me wrong, I think the model looks elegant and nice, but like someone said, the neck is far too thin. Same goes for the warp pylons. See where they are attached to the secondary hull? This bit is way too small - at a high accelaration these small joins would never be able to hold the nacelles.

And about the Voyager being a curvey ship. Well, look at the Ent-D again. Isn't she at least as curvey as Voyager? It hardly consists of ANY non-curvey elements.

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it wouldn't matter if the nacelles are thin or not. warp drive does not use standard physical accereration. the nacelles could be held on by string and wouldn't fly off because oof acceleration at warp (thought they would probably fly off if you turned a corner at impulse). besides, who knows how strong the connection on the nacelles really is? on the model, it's strong enough for motion control [Big Grin]

--jacob

[ January 15, 2002: Message edited by: EdipisReks ]

IP: Logged
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a feeling that the Voyager was asked to be made curvier by the Producers, because originally the Voyager was going to be an older ship that had 'made it's name' or 'made it's mettle' during the Cardassian Wars. When that was scrapped - Voyager became a brand spanking new ship.

I like the original Voyager idea - I wish Mojo could get a-hold of it and do a CGI of it!

--------------------

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I'm not a big fan of the proto-Voyager design, I think it would be a good representation of the yet unseen Bradbury-class. The Bradbury rego number seems perfect for the look of the ship.

It's also curious how that DS9TM kitbash so closely resembles the proto-Voyager. Just that we know most of them made it on screen.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Mojo
Member # 536

- posted      Profile for Mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHERE IS THIS LETTER FROM DOUG DREXLER THAT PEOPLE ARE TALKING ABOUT???

Mojo

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to know too. The fact that the Pre-E was more-than-superficially based on the Akira class is almost common knowledge - Eaves himself said in one interview that fans of the Akira would get a kick out of the design (can't remember the exact quote, but it was from an interview online). I haven't read anything about Drexler basing it on a twin-hulled fighter. Where's this one from?

[Edit: it was Eaves, not Berman, who proped the Pre-E as "Akira-cool". Thanks Tom!]

Mark

[ January 15, 2002: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A very early Eaves interview said, re: the design, that "fans of the Akira" will be impressed.

Then cameth the show, and the bitching, and the whining, and the threats to hold one's breath until they turned blue unless the ship magically changed.

Next up was the "Broken Bow" novelization, which had a small "making of" feaurette in it, in which there was the following quote from Herman Zimmerman:
quote:
"We found a ship that was in our archives - a minor vessel that had been used in a battle in one of the features that had been created by ILM. We did not use that ship, but we took ideas from it and from those ideas eventually - and this process took about four months, all week and weekend CGI work by a very talented Lightwave artist, Doug Drexler - we finally came up with a shape that everybody loves. I trust the fans will love it as well as the producers and the cast do."
Then came Doug's famed "hush hush" email to Hobbes which got posted on the Enterprise forum here.

The Eaves/Drexler interview in the current ST:Communicator (partially transcribed here) mentions that the E-nil, E-refit and "other ships from the movies" were an influence, but the principal inspiration was the P-38 (which, IIRC, was also Jaeger's inspiration for the Akira).

[ January 15, 2002: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Mojo
Member # 536

Captain Mike's post a few posts back mentions the letter that was posted on the forum... I REALLY need to see this post!

Mojo

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moj: Found the letter, and edited my post...

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Mojo, just reguarding your deffie-in-progress... about the central 'round part' where the 'bridge' is 'supposed' to be... I don't know if it is the angle or the bright light, but is there the two 'steps' down from the circle 'rim' and then one step back up to the little 'baseball diamond'?? I've got the pic as my windows background - very nice.

Here is a pic - that shows the steps:

Defiant

Andrew

--------------------

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps